Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on December 1, 2012
Like many music fans, I found "my music" in my teens and early 20's and have remained a tried and true fan of hard rock/metal (and even...GASP!!!...hair bands) for more years than I care to admit. Somewhere in a box in my basement (next to many more boxes in my basement) there are innumerable old copies of RIP magazine, one of my main sources of info on the bands I love(d). If you read the magazine or simply tuned into MTV back then, you couldn't help but know the name Lonn Friend.

Many years after its release, I stumbled across "Life on Planet Rock" and assumed it would be entirely about the bands I remember Lonn covering in the pages of RIP back in the day. I was kinda right, kinda wrong. While he does talk at length about his dealings with GnR, Metallica, and Motley Crue, there's much more to the story of Lonn Frined than I expected...like his post-RIP gig working for Clive Davis at Arista records. As I type this, I'm listening to Lonn's 1st big find (also a commercial flop) The Bogmen. Not at all the 80's rock/metal band I would've guessed he'd favor.

And that's kinda how the whole book has unfolded for me: one pleasant surprise after another. He writes as much about Pearl Jan and Nirvana as he does GnR. In fact, I've been listening to The Bogmen for days now wondering how they didn't hit it big. And how did I not know about this book until just a few weeks ago? Better late than never, I suppose.
on August 16, 2008
I recently met Lonn Friend, and wanting to know more about him, bought a copy of Planet Rock. I didn't read the hard-edged RIP magazine, which he had been the Editor-In-Chief of during the late 80s early 90s, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised that his book covers a wide array of rockers that he has known, from Alice Cooper to Slash, and depicts his experiences with rock stars in a very down-to-earth, honest manner.

Though Lonn seemed to be able to transform into a chameleon and become friends to a plethora of musicians, the downside of being a shape-shifter is that sometimes, you lose who you are in the process. Lonn openly admits this happening to him at times. This made his journey more real, more authentic, and I wished that he had delved deeper into this inner part of his odyssey.

But, most people will pick-up the book wanting to read about rock musicians, and Lonn does give a good encapsulation of his relationships with the stars. Each chapter primarily focuses on one musician or band, and there are some laugh-out-loud moments too. My favorite was Axl Rose's rant about Warren Beatty during a show in France that was being offered to thousands of people in the States via pay-per-view TV and FM radio. What came out of his mouth illustrated just how human (and angry) rock stars can be.

Lonn witnessed the dark and the light within many musicians, and that's what makes Planet Rock so appealing. Rock stars are just like the rest of us, dealing with life's ups and downs, and Lonn Friend wonderfully captures the essence of how their lives touched and intertwined with his own incredible life.
on April 12, 2017
Not worth your time.
on December 2, 2014
I'm a journalist and I too covered the 80's glam scene for a competing magazine to Lonn's RIP. This book is EXCEPTIONAL! Everything I wanted and more. If you loved that music and you loved that era, this is a great look into what made it what it was by one of the guys who, for the fans, was just as much a part of it as the rock stars he covered. He brought them to us as teenagers and now he brings it to us again - both times in ways that only he can.
on February 5, 2013
It's hard to believe this man is a huge fan of hard rock, when his his focus seems more on Bon Jovi (really??) and Pearl jam. Ugh. I used to read RIP back in the day and loved the mag....could this be the same man who represented it? Sad to say that there is nothing intresting in this book at all. NOTHING. I want to make it clear that I couldnt wait to read this book. What a jip. Think im too critical? Read it and tell me.....what planet rock is lonn talking about? It's not the planet rock where I dwell thats for damn sure!
on August 15, 2006
Lonn is an icon of 1980's hard rock. Editor of the rock magazine Rip, Lonn has met, written about and partied with just about every rock star you can think of from the mid to late 80's and into the early 90's.

This book has some very funny stories and is a fun, light hearted read about a fun, lighthearted time in music. Lonn doesn't dish a lot of dirt, but prefers to share stories with the reader and leave out the more sleazy side of rock. I know he has left out a lot of trash that he could have told us, but the book is still a very entertaining read with a lot of new information.

Foreward by Lars Ulrich was very funny, as well. Clearly, Lonn is still respected among the rock elite. For a fun, easy rock book, this is one not to be missed!
on December 17, 2013
Self serving, boring, and kinda pathetic. I expected to like this book. Being a a lifelong Metalhead I have acknowledged and appreciated the contributions Friend made to our scene. Almost immediately the fact that he is/has been a chameleon (poseur) is right in your face. In life not just the Metal scene. Once this becomes apparent the rest of the book is just kinda sad.
on September 11, 2012
There are about ten chapters in this book and each one focuses on the author's (a music journalist) interaction with each band during his career. It doesn't include anything that most people didn't already know about the mega bands. The author is personally honest and actually comes off as a guy desperate for the bands attention at times.
Bands that are covered are Guns, Metallica, grunge era, Aerosmith, Kiss, and prob 5 or 6 more.
on May 9, 2015
Lonn Friend was the leader of the quintessential Hard Rock magazine RIP. This book makes you the fly on the wall through his journey from Editor in Chief to something very different. Highly recommended.
on June 21, 2008
I can't even begin to do this book justice. It is an autobiography of former RIP editor Lonn Friend and chronicles not only his adventures with various rock n' roll performers, but his divorce and career struggles. It also serves as a time capsule of America during the late 1980's and early 1990's. I only bought this book to read the chapter about Guns n' Roses, but it is so beautifully and poignantly written, I was hooked! I am going to make all my co-workers read this book.