Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on August 5, 2010
I really and truly love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I recommend the books to almost everyone I know and I haven't let anyone down so far. I will still certainly recommend the books in the series to just about anyone - but this one in particular was not quite as good as the first two in the series.

I'm not sure what it was about this book that kept me from getting as into it as the first two. The plot was a bit more scattered for me which probably makes the main contribution to my slight disappointment. Not that the other Hitchhiker's Guide books are not scattered - this one just had a different feel.

I am curious to re-read the book though. When I started reading the book, I got through the first several chapters and my kindle wasn't able to save the last read page. I went back through and re-read the chapters I had already read and it was way more hilarious than I had thought the first time around. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a much better rating once I give it a second read.

Anyway, I most certainly recommend the book - just read the first two books first. They certainly would give a much better introduction to the characters than this installment.
on May 25, 2013
These are funny books, and brilliantly written. I haven't read them in many years, but my daughter was interested so I got a copy to read and pass on to her. Douglas Adams' sense of humor is unparalleled. The books are funny and it's impossible to put one down. This collection arrived in superior condition. It will make an excellent addition to our book collection.
on May 29, 2017
This novel speaks even to me, and I do not like science fiction. It's clever and insightful without being tiresome
on February 12, 2002
'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy,' by Douglas Adams, is a spontaneous comic adventure. To bring out the humorous characters and events, Douglas Adams uses a lot of satire to attract the reader's attention. A scene that brings out much of the satire is at the beginning of the book. Arthur Ford lies in front of bulldozer to stop the demolition of his house so the city can build a bypass. Arthur, having just found out the day before, is annoyed because the plans were buried from the public. To emphasize the satire, Adams destroys Earth to build an intergalactic bypass whose plans were also buried. This is all going on while the construction workers are trying to find a way to get more money out of their union for working with insane people. Adam uses this satire throughout the entire book to give it an added flavor and to persuade changes on earth with certain situations. As Arthur and Ford start hitchhiking their way around the galaxy to find the ultimate answers to life and the universe, they encounter worlds full of trouble.
The story starts out with Arthur Dent protesting his house from being torn down for a bypass, when his friend Ford Perfect, an alien who has been posing as an out-of-work actor on earth for the past fifteen years, drags Arthur away to tell him the world is going to be destroyed. He warns his disbelieving friend Arthur that the planet is soon to blow up, and rescues both of them seconds before its destruction by hitching a ride from the Vogons. After Ford and Arthur are tortured by hideous poetry, Zaphod Beeblebrox, the president of the galaxy, and Trillia, the only other surviving human being, save them. Together they travel the galaxy to lead to the ultimate answers to life.
I would say this book is Random. Sinister. Funny. 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' covers everything from galactic space monsters to far-off planets no one has ever of. This completely random book has the reader on his toes from the very first page to the last. Totally unpredictable. If you want a joyful, whimsical ride through space, then read 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
on October 21, 2016
Bring a Towel. Have a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Get a Babel Fish. Watch for Vogons.

And above all...DON'T PANIC.
on January 4, 2015
Of course we all love it. It's a timeless, hilarious, ridiculous classic, and the laughs just keep coming while you're reading. The best part is the entire book- it's simply impossible to choose a favorite scene or chapter. This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, though I only recently finished the series for the first time (after buying this collection of all five books). Adams has a sense of humor so completely and utterly ludicrous and absurd that we simply find ourselves giggling uncontrollably throughout. I saw a review titled "This book deserves 47 stars", and while that may be a little over the top, I completely agree.

Keep a towel at hand while reading, in case you laugh so hard you start crying (or peeing).
on February 22, 2017
Great book, recommended by my brother, I don't like reading books on space and aliens but this book was great. I was captivated and enthralled! Who knew I would love a Sci-fi book!?! A great easy reading book, not heavy. I also enjoyed watching the movie and making comparisons between the book and the movie.
on July 15, 2016
A premiere work of science fiction. Douglas Adams will take your thoughts to amazing new heights as you explore his mind-boggling, reality-critiquing universe. Five books in the series. Don't stop after this one. They're all great. You'll be a better person for reading each one. You'll also be wondering where you can get a babel fish.
on March 15, 2013
This review is only about this specific printing. Anyone buying this book likely has read the series at least once and knows it is a 5/5 series.

When I buy a leather bound book, it is because I love that book and want to be able to display it proudly in my library. I have hundreds of Easton Press and Franklin Library books, all of which display very well. This is definitely a step down from that, but the price point does reflect that difference. It has the feel of an slightly above average priced bible. It feels good in the hands and reading it is a pleasure, but it doesn't have quite the look that the Easton/Franklin books do. It was a toss up between this version and the 1997 leather bound printing, I went with this version.

Still a very nice addition to any library and any fan of the series would love to have it.
on April 21, 2013
I recently reread my old paperback copy which was about to fall apart. I decided that I wanted a hardback copy for future rereading and am quite pleased with the condition of one I received.

I loved the Guide a couple of decades ago and was happily surprised to find it was still as funny as I remembered it as a young adult. What surprised me, however, is I now find it even more insightful into what I've learning about both the nature of reality and human nature. Arthur Dent's odd, totally clueless response to having his entire life and understanding of reality destroyed is both funny and inspiring. He just keeps on keeping on in a uniquely courageous manner.

I also reread the entire set of sequels. Although none of them are the equal of the original book, they each have their brilliant moments which first make you laugh and then think.

Anyway, if you've never read this book, get it -- unless you hate British humor and all things Monty Python, in which case you might consider lightening up a little.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.