Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 82 reviews
on October 11, 2016
It was a diagnosis for me...I am forever on realtor.com. I am now in a 1938 renovated farmhouse on almost an acre and it has swallowed me whole. When people ask me about his unique and potentially really wonderful house ( and huge land)..I often reply..."Be Careful what you wish for). I love it and I have to remind myself...this is what I wanted. But, it is an unfinished symphony..at least a work in progress. And I can barely find the rest of my life in here because it deserves and demand so much.

I like books and I like reading books. I enjoyed the swift moving prose, the colorful and intimate details...the discovery of a porcelain tile in the bathroom, the color changed in the walls, the times of just wanting to be home and on the bed. This could have been such a boring book. It wasn't boring at all. Entertaining and it made me pause snit in my plans for possibly moving again.
on July 22, 2015
I LOV ED THIS BOOK SHE IS SO FUNNY FOR THE PERSON WHO CALLED IT DARK HUMOE I DIDN'T KNOW THAT HUMOR HAS A COLOR. I FOUND IT DELIGHTFUL HILARIOUS BUT NOT DARK AT ALL A BIT SAD TOWARD THE END BUT MOSTLY FUNNY. ASO FOR ALL THE TASTELESS READERS WHO CAN'T EVER FIND ANYTHING TO SAY. ABOUT ANY GOOD HUMOROUS BOOKS THAT YOU READ HERES A TIP STOP READING BOOKS ALL TOGETHER, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU TRY TO WRITE A BOOK. ITS HARD WORK, SO SHUT UP AND TRY TO BE NICE I LOVED THIS HILARIOUS WARM BOOK AND I REALLY AM GLAD I FINALLY READ IT. ITS TRULY FUNNY AND FUN TO READ.
on January 19, 2015
My search is always for the perfect next book--and this was one of them. Meghan Daum connects to the reader below the surface. In this world of form over substance, this book is like a Facebook page with pictures of a successful life but with an honest, introspective, often humerous note attached to each that says, "Now let me tell you the real story behind this one."
After reading each of her books (I've already preordered her next), I come away feeling a bit saner and hopefully a bit more compassionate toward that hidden side to us all.
on January 5, 2016
Funny stories of house hunting and trying to make peace with your life
on May 12, 2010
While not rollicking humor, this book will make you chuckle. I wondered at the lengths she went to fulfill her life fantasies about finding and living in a "perfect house." It certainly kept me reading.

But it also can lead the reader to examine his or her own fantasies. What would make my life "perfect, " or what did I imagine would create a perfect life for me, only to find out it that really wasn't the issue in the first place. I figured that out before I began reading the book, partly because a dear friend and I had recently had a conversation regarding the fantasies we had each built about marriage and how different the realities can turn out to be.

Good read. I recommend it.
on September 7, 2010
I was so excited to read this book. I saved it for my vacation to read it without any distractions. What a mistake! I am a Realtor and was thinking it would be really fun to read a book from another point of view. This book was a mess. It was such a slow read and I just could not get into Daum's thought process. I have my obsession with houses and thought I'd be able to indentify with her....nope. I have been trying to force myself to finish this book - I have actually challenged myself.

So bummed that it was soooo not what I anticipated. Based on the other reviews I think I must be the one that is not getting this or I am truding through a different book.

I have never written a review (I am sure that is obvious) but felt strongly enough about this one to post one.
on October 19, 2016
If you have ever coveted anything you will like this book. I couldn't put it down and the Audible is also amazing
on October 22, 2013
At first I was amused, then irritated, then saddened by the author's real estate obsession. I diagnosed manic-depression and fear of commitment, but by the end of this richly satisfying book, Meghan Daum had delivered a perfect reading experience, with an underlying serious message. Her title gives away her intent - "my life would be perfect if" - it's the irony of the book, her recognition that her life's purposes are totally at odds. She wants to be seen as cool and hip, she wants to be personally content - but she does not know how to seek contentment because her true self has been a stranger to her. And she knows it; hence the title.

Real estate as metaphor for life. Yes, the many detours and houses viewed, bought, rented, repented of do get to be annoying. But stick with it, the ending is meaningful. The author has been on a journey toward understanding what is important, and that is life itself.

Oh, and those puzzling words other reviewers complain of - I learned three new words from Meghan and enjoyed looking them up. This book turned out to be a true pleasure, and not just a light read.
on September 11, 2010
This book is a testament to those of us whose every move represented the opportunity to live a life that would be perfect - or nearly. Meghan Daum has written a story that is funny, charming and much more than mere surface treatment of the interior walls. I loved hearing her being interviewed on NPR and realized a year later that if I ever wanted to explore this territory - it would need to begin with Amazon!
on February 20, 2015
Meghan daum can do no wrong! !