Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 195 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 219 reviews
on September 26, 2016
This is an awesome book, written by John Baker, the founder of Celebrate Recovery, a 12 Step program based on biblical principles. I ordered three copies of the book, one to keep for myself and the two others went to friends. The full title is actually Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups, and Habits and includes a forward by Saddleback Church's senior pastor, the author of The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren.

John Baker, a former pastor at Saddleback Church, based this book on the eight steps to spiritual freedom (admitting need, getting help, letting go, coming clean, making changes, repairing relationships, maintaining momentum and recycling pain) to help Christians overcome many kinds of addictive behaviors.

This was taken from John Baker’s Biography: "John Baker is the founder of Celebrate Recovery®, a ministry born out of the heart of Saddleback Church. Over the last sixteen years, nearly 10,000 individuals have gone through this Christ-centered recovery program at Saddleback. The Celebrate Recovery program is now being used in 12,000 churches nationwide. Over 500,000 individuals have completed the program.

This book is very well written, easy to understand and follow and can help anyone who wants to make the choices necessary to start on their own personal journey, their own road to recovery, from life's hurts, hang-ups and habits.
on August 29, 2016
I have gone through the 12 Steps and have studied and taught it. The Steps are amazing in all they do and the lives they have touched. I found this book a good "condensed" version. Not sure if that is the correct term but this book simplifies with being simplistic and presents a great initial exposure that should be a first step leading to the 12 Steps. It is a great read for families who have loved ones going through addiction struggles to help them better understand the situation and how to help and not hurt. So often we think of addicts, but addiction affects the entire family, even if they do not realize what it is that is affecting them.
on May 11, 2016
This book has been positively life changing. I have read and re-read it multiple times, especially chapter 1, "realize I am not God." This book really helped me to understand the intersection of the Twelve Steps and Christianity. And this material is not just for recovery for substance use. I apply if for recovery from codependency. Thank you to the Celebrate Recovery team for this great resource.
on July 29, 2017
I have been sober in AA for 27 years, but just came across Celebrate Recovery due to someone who is new to recovery. I was unfulfilled with the endless discussions in AA about whether or not God was Buddha, Christ, or a doorknob, because I am a Christian. I'm grateful to AA, and this method is not in opposition to AA, but will be helpful for anyone who wants a more positive approach to recovery. Recovery is for anyone with a hurt, habit or hangup, which is all of us. And this book brings the healing power of Christ into the equation. Very powerful! I can't believe I didn't know about Celebrate Recovery until now.
on August 18, 2017
I love Jesus, my faith community and the 12 Steps of Codependent Recovery. I'm sure many will find value and receive help by reading this book, however it didn't speak to me. Sometimes Christian books feel too laden with an agenda and it feels like trading one script for another to avoid punishment, rather than owning my truth in the presence of unconditional love. A big part of recovery is connecting to our truth which is tough to do when a very specific agenda is in the way. His law is love. His gospel is peace. I prefer Melody Beattie's work.
on August 19, 2016
If you aren't going through a Celebrate Recovery Step Study (I highly recommend you do that!), this is a good book to understand the basics of Celebrate Recovery and the 8 Principles. In a Step Study, you will go through 4 Guide Books/workbooks that cover what is in this book but more in depth. This was written in 2007 and back then I guess, they were being called the 8 Choices--now they are called the 8 Principles. Celebrate Recovery may not be for everyone but what Celebrate Recovery offers IS for EVERYONE!!! Go to a Celebrate Recovery meeting and find out how you can find healing for your hurts, hang ups and habits! It's really not only for "those" people! We ALL have hurts, hang-ups & habits that need God to heal and this is what God is using in millions of lives--it's all over the world!!
on June 23, 2015
Already wrote a review about Small Group Study that goes along with this book and it's worth it to have both books when you do a small group. Places where we can write our hearts answers with the good Lord's help. This book is so good and for EVERYONE to read as we all have hang ups, hurts, attitudes that needs our Lord's attention and help. Thank you John Baker for all you have done forming Celebrate Recovery and please know many are the prayers for the people who attend the sharing times. The Lord is in the healing business if we just ask Him to help us everyday of our lives. "With God All Things Are Possible." Matt 19;26
on August 15, 2014
WOW! I have worked the steps many times through AA. Which by the way saved my life. My spiritual journey has led me back to Christ. This book is must read when you start your recovery journey. This is the most comprehensive book to prep you to working the steps. I have gifted this book to many friends in recovery. My hurts, habits and hang ups are not unique. John Baker's book is the best guideline for discovering what has been holding me back in my relationship with Jesus and healing me and my relationship with others. He aligns the biblical principals using the beatitudes. Who knew the 12 steps came straight out of the bible.
on February 13, 2013
I would not have normally purchased a book like this. However, I was experiencing 3 of the 4 consequences of problems that the book lists: Fear, Frustration, Failure, and Fatigue. That caught my attention.

Very good book and fairly easy read. As I read through the book, people came to mind who were experiencing years of hurt and pain without any resolutions. I bought 2 of those people a book and recommended the book to a 3rd person.

Not all things in the book work for me, thus the 4 stars instead of 5. Practical suggestions, though for help with habits, hurts and addictive behaviors. Really enjoy the testimonials at the end of each chapter. Those provide hope
on September 5, 2015
I call this book "Celebrate Recovery in a nutshell." It is very helpful as a good read or as a Group study. I have facilitated a small group and done one on one study as a mentor. I will be providing a review on this at a ladies retreat soon, so have again read the entire book. I recommend the DVD and study guide as well.