BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Ligeti/Beethoven
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 2, 2015
A+++Bs person and transactlion..Wonderful CD of two very different composers..Works in a very beautiful and fulfilling manner.
on November 14, 2014
Wonderful pianist; have always loved Ligeti.
on June 9, 2015
Sensible and powerful.
on July 31, 2014
I bought this because of a brilliant interview of Mr. Denk on NPR. The cd holds a brilliant performance w/ brilliant composers. Marvelous that the Beethoven is placed in between the Ligeti. Gives the ear and psyche a chance to refresh.
on April 17, 2013
Jeremy Denk is masterful on piano. His strength and experience matches his talent.
After seeing him play in person not too long ago, I sent for this CD and was not disappointed! Although I am
also a fan of many other types of music, Denk draws me back into classical. He isn't just playing the old masters, but reinventing them with respect and originality. The piano becomes a partner. I am the listener and this trio is a joyful
connecting! I would highly recommend Ligeti/Beethoven, as played by Jeremy Denk.
on July 5, 2014
Excellent product quality and swift delivery
on June 30, 2014
Artistry and understanding...
on April 13, 2013
Jeremy Denk is an artist of extraordinary depth and sensitivity, with all the technical capability needed to realize his artistry. The Ligeti pieces are played with deep understanding and conviction.
on December 14, 2014
Fantastic pianist...best of his generation, heard him play recently at the Disney Concert Hall. He played Mozart which I prefer to Ligeti. Sorry, but I found the Ligeti hard to listen to on the CD.
I'd never heard of Ligeti's piano etudes or Jeremy Denk until he was interviewed on Fresh Air with Terry Gross a few months ago, though I've been a serious student of jazz piano and a more than casual fan of classical.

The interview and the samples from this recording it featured so entranced me that I spent the next 12 hours researching Ligeti and Denk, and have continued doing so (though with lesser intensity) in the months since. Jeremy Denk is extremely intelligent yet very accessible--both in terms of his playing and his discussion of the music.

As to the music itself, other reviewers have called Denk's performance "astonishing." To that, I would add "visceral," "dark," and "beautiful." Ligeti's pieces are among the most challenging a pianist can attempt; often times, the two hands are doing completely different things at the same time - playing in different keys, different time signatures, different dynamics, and playing phrases that move in different directions. Denk said, perhaps half-jokingly, that Ligeti was trying to punish pianists who attempt to play these pieces. Denk said that, to learn them, he basically locked himself in his apartment for months, with only his coffee maker and his piano, and kept practicing different fingerings and so forth.

It's also challenging to listen to these recordings. There's a lot going on. To my fellow Ligeti newbies, I think it would be every helpful (as well as enjoyable) to listen to that interview I mentioned (which you can easily find online).

You cannot help but be affected by Denk's performances. Repeated listenings are essential, especially for the Ligeti newbie. First, you hear chaos or confusion. Then, order. Finally, beauty. The experience of listening to this disc is visceral, challenging, and rewarding on an intellectual level and an emotional level.

I'd like to add that I appreciate the engineering of this recording. The sound of the piano is different than on other classical recordings I have (including the new recording by Denk and Joshua Bell, which is very different than this but also quite wonderful). It's hard to describe, somehow darker yet sumptuously beautiful. It has something to do with the way the piano is miked, the room in which it was recorded, and of course the way Jeremy Denk plays.

Lastly, I'd like to mention with some reluctance that I find it very odd that Beethoven's Sonata appears right in the middle of a bunch of Ligeti etudes. My reluctance is because Jeremy Denk is a lot smarter than me, and putting the Beethoven in the middle of the Ligeti makes perfect sense to him. He explained it in the interview, and in the liner notes, which are very well-written. Yet, every time I listen to this disc, I just don't get the connection.

Now, I am NOT saying Denk's performance of the Beethoven Sonata isn't wonderful--it *IS* wonderful. To me, the inclusion of these tracks is a sweet bonus for people who buy this terrific Ligeti disc. But it just FEELS to me like they don't belong in the middle of the Ligeti, maybe better after the Ligeti etudes.