Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning britboxlaunch britboxlaunch britboxlaunch  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on May 17, 2013
I think this book gives great ideas on how to incorporate Spanish into everyday life. I had already been using some, but there are a few more ideas I found.
There are a few errors, especially in pronunciation. I am assuming these were oversights. It can be frustrating for someone unfamiliar with Spanish, though.
I think one way to use this book would be as directed, but to also find a native Spanish speaker with proper grammar, willing to converse with you for a few minutes. If you can muster up a little courage, you can find someone willing, maybe at the grocery store, a local school, etc. Most would be delighted to listen to you talk about bacon and eggs, and will tell you, without laughing, that it is "to-see-no", not "to-kee-no".
on April 22, 2015
The sequence and content covers all situations and makes it very easy to learn Spanish.
on April 28, 2013
Spanish language that you can use. The program incorporates everyday items phrases and situations that you could use. You will not have to concentrate on pronoun and correct grammar and sentence structure.
on February 17, 2013
Didn't like it. I returned it. It wasn't as cool as I though I got a better book to teach Spanish.
on May 10, 2012
Lightning Fast Spanish is a fun and exciting book providing a great method for learning Spanish. Previous reviewers have taken issue with the grammar and vocabulary in the book, saying that there are errors; but I am fluent in Spanish and work as a translator, and I disagree with these reviews. I found the grammar to be sound and accurate, as well as concise and useful! Also, as a life-long student of Spanish, I have studied language both from textbooks in a classroom setting, and through real-life interactions living abroad in Mexico. And let me tell you?the absolute best way to learn a language is to use it! Lightning Fast Spanish gets you using Spanish every day, without overwhelming beginner students with complicated grammar rules. What I love about this book is that it goes beyond vocabulary lists and introduces students to complex grammatical structures (past, present, future and conditional tenses, gender agreement and personal pronouns, for example) but makes the grammar accessible without being intimidating. For a young student who is still unfamiliar with the technicalities and proper terms for their first language, let alone a second, this book is a great tool to show them that they can get excited about learning a language, be proud of themselves for completing activities, and have fun playing games in a new language. Lightning Fast Spanish is a smart, clever way to get your kids or any beginner Spanish student excited about language, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get started! I can?t wait to try these activities and games with the kids I nanny!
on May 5, 2012
As someone fluent in Spanish, I would not recommend this book. Good practice is perfect practice and this book has a great many grammatical and vocabulary mistakes. The pronunciation guides are awful. I am not a native speaker, Spanish wasn't my first or second language but I wouldn't try teaching my child from this book. When learning a language, learning the proper way the first time is imperative and this book is full of bad habits that are easy to fall into.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2012
The concept for this book is excellent. This is a great way to teach your kids Spanish--and to learn it if you don't already know it.

I started learning Spanish on my own when I was 9-10 years old, studied it as soon as it was available in 9th grade, and eventually majored in it in college. When my first child was about 18 months old, I started teaching him Spanish words he already knew in English, such as eye, ear, mouth, etc. After a few months, I gave up because it was so wearing. Maybe if I had done it the way Carolyn Woods suggests, I would have stuck with it and he would have easily learned Spanish--or at least a lot more--from me.

However, be careful with the pronunciations the author has given and some of the vocabulary. It's a lot easier to learn it correctly the first time than to have to relearn it correctly later.

Wrong Pronunciations:

* She should have used [lah] for la; otherwise people could pronounce it lots of different ways; she assumes people already know how to pronounce la.
* chaqueta [la cha-key-tah] should be [lah cha-keh-tah]
* huevos [hway-vose] should be [hweh-vose]
* tocino [toe-key-no] should be [toe-see-no]
* pan [pan] should be [pahn]

She frequently gets the pronunciation of i and e wrong.

Other Problems:

I realize that the author is trying to keep it simple. But here are some other problems:

* For most of the colors, she didn't give both masculine & feminine words, except for blanco/blanca & rojo/roja; this could be confusing for new learners.
* She didn't explain that emphasis should be on the accented syllable, e.g., escoces (plaid) in the first conversation has an accent mark on the last "e," which indicates that the last syllable should be emphasized. Instead of [ess-koh-ses], I recommend showing pronunciation of this word as [ess-koh-SESS].

Some vocabulary words are wrong. Here's one example:
"No por favor" - She says it means "No thank you" but actually it means "No please." The correct phrase is "No gracias" or "Gracias, no."

I only skimmed this book after the first two conversations, but it appears that the majority of the information is valid. Still I would check everything before you start on each new section of this book. Like I said, the concept of teaching your children Spanish and learning it yourself is good, but some of the vocabulary and pronunciation are not correct.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse