Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on August 2, 2010
I now have all three releases of LightSpeed Magazine, (June, July and August) but am still reading August's issue.

I really enjoy sci-fi. Most of my reading and video entertainment fits into this genre. Lightspeed is a really nice mix of interesting and thought-provoking narratives along side relevant interviews and topic discussions. The alternating format (narrative then interview or discussion) was unfamiliar to me but I find that I look forward to the article behind the stories as much as the stories themselves. And they are a nice change of pace while reading. In July's issues I learned about science-fiction themed music and steam-punk musical - how cool is that?

The stories have been very engaging. There hasn't been one that I skipped over and the topics are wide ranging so there isn't the common milieu exhaustion. My favorite so far is a story where a future corporate 'assassin' is in effect an indentured servant trying to earn enough money to buy back his own memories. Great stuff. The article that followed that particular story spoke about the Buddhist interpretation of memory and the sense of self. That was very insightful. This is the kinda stuff I'm talking about!

If you read or watch sci-fi for the interesting ideas it alone can present then you owe it to yourself to check Lightspeed out. You'll enjoy it as much I do.
|0Comment|Report abuse
on August 2, 2010
I recently purchased July's edition of the new LIGHTSPEED science fiction magazine, and I was blown away by the content. The cover art is hauntingly beautiful and makes you want to jump in head-first. When you do, you'll be greeted by a fantastic tale by Carol Emshwiller, a brilliant story told in an extremely interesting way by Tobias S. Bucknell, a zeppelin ride in the brass-and-chrome world of steampunk by Genevieve Valentine, and a trip to a post-apocalyptic hippie commune by the master Himself, George R. R. Martin.

And I haven't even mentioned the non-fiction.

Seriously, this magazine is packed with good stuff. The fiction alone is top of the line, and the non-fiction articles are informative and brief so as not to distract too much from the stories. And how many times have you wished you could know what was going on in the mind of the author after reading a really tight, really fantastic short? Well, in LIGHTSPEED, the stories (sans Martin) are followed by interviews with the authors, in which they talk about their included stories, but also their writing in general, making for an interesting read each time.

We need more markets like this; high-quality, high-standards in fiction, and ready-made for modern technology. There is no fat in this mag, just delicious, juicy meat.
|0Comment|Report abuse