Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on August 29, 2016
A great story where Lilly is in her true form. She adores her teacher until he makes her follow the rules, and then she lashes out in anger, as kids tend to do. Lilly is quickly remorseful (as kids usually are!) and seeks help from her parents to make the situation with her teacher right. Lilly goes above and beyond by putting herself in the Uncooperative Chair, but to be fair, she deserves a turn there! Mr. Slinger is, of course, wonderfully forgiving, as all good teachers are. A great "how-to" lesson for kids on righting wrongs!
on March 5, 2017
This is my 6 year old Kindergartner's favorite book (note: she is an advanced reader not all kinders will be able to read it themselves). Once she came home from school a bit upset and told me that she was reading a book at the library and ran out of time to finish when it was time to go to lunch. She already checked out another book and couldn't take this one. But she said it was very interesting book for her. So I immediately looked it up on Amazon and got a used one but in great condition for a very little amount of money.

She was so happy when it arrived earlier today. We were about to go out to dinner so she brought it with her and read it a few times while at the restaurant. Her 9 year old sister read it with a great interest too.
on May 6, 2015
I often give this book as a present to little girls because I think it is such a cute story that most little girls can relate too. I just bought it again for my granddaughter who is 3. She is a little too young to appreciate it now. I think it is probably best for girls 5 and up. I know the kids in the primary grades in the school where I was principal, loved the book which I ordered for most of the classes.
on December 20, 2016
A great book with amazing pictures. This was one of my favorites growing up and now my kids love it too. It also provides a good opportunity for talking with your kids about self-control, the responsibility attached to expressing anger, and dealing with disappointment.
on February 1, 2017
I love Mr. Henkes Lilly. She reminds me of my daughter. Perhaps that's why I love this story so much! His stories are always so reminiscent of my being a young girl. I love these little walks down memory lane.
on July 9, 2017
Fun book. I love books by Kevin Henkes. They all make you smile. Lilly is a treasure. Makes me think of my first purse and how I couldn't be apart from it.
on May 26, 2009
This is one of the two or three books that I buy for all of my friends who are having babies-- a classic deserving of shelf space right along with "Where the Wild Things Are," "Amos and Boris," "George and Martha," "Ferdinand," "The Cat in the Hat," and (new favorite) "Food Hates You Too." In particular, "Lilly" is a must for children starting school. It tracks the complexity of the kindergartner/ teacher relationship-- the student's infatuation with the teacher, her disillusionment, her betrayal, her remorse, her amends. The child-mouse Lilly (familiar from other Henkes books, like "Chester's Way") is irrepressible, well-meaning, and spiteful-- a real kid. Angry at her beloved teacher, Mr. Slinger, after he confiscates for the day her purple purse because she keeps interrupting class to show it off, Lilly retaliates by producing a nasty drawing of "big fat mean Mr. stealing teacher" and slipping it into Mr. Slinger's book bag. After he returns the purse and she finds snacks in it accompanied with a note ("today was a difficult day. Tomorrow will be better"), Lilly is horrified, stricken with remorse. How she makes amends to the perfectly understanding Mr. Slinger (all teachers should be Mr. Slinger!) is a good lesson for children on the importance of saying I'm sorry, without ever being preachy or saccharine. Henkes is terrific because he doesn't sugar-coat his characters; part of what makes Lilly special is that she has her flaws. This book is a true classic.
on June 18, 2017
My 7yr old Granddaughter said it was a good book - said with enthusiasm
on March 28, 2017
Arrived on time and as advertised.
on July 21, 2017
I love all his books This one is a good one for not being a nudge in the classroom