Limitless (Unrated Extended Cut)
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Unrated Extended Cut
Audio Commentary with Director Neil Burger
A Man Without Limits
Top Customer Reviews
Edward has writer's block. He has a book contract for some reason, yet hasn't written a word. His girlfriend, who was his meal ticket leaves him. Bummed out he decides to go live on a bunk bed at Dad's place in New Jersey, but then bumps into his ex-brother-in-law, who is a drug dealer. He offers Edward a pill that increases a person's use of their brain. They can recall everything they have seen or read and can correlate it to increase intelligence. The smarter a person is to begin with, the more data they have to work with. Edward is a smart guy to begin with, so he is able to start his book. The downside is that the pill wears off. Not only does one lose the abilities, but they get a little ADD, and throw up like a heroin addict. Too much of the pill causes a Mr. Hyde type of character including blackouts. Edward's supplier is murdered and Edward finds his stash of pills and a wad of cash.
Edward uses his ability to make money on Wall Street. He catches the attention of big time corporations as well as the Russian mafia. He quickly finds out people who take the smart pill eventually die from either taking too much or running out. Edward must try to balance his life.
I loved the concept. I loved how they did the drug effect with simple but effective camera tricks. Anyone who has come down off of cocaine, LSD, or heroin knows how Edward feels and he portrays a man coming off drugs very well.
I even liked the ending, although the last few minutes should have been stretched out. No nudity.
In the movie, the writer only has a limited supply of the drug with no way to get more. The plot thickens since the drug has side effects and others are after his supply.
If I could give half stars, I'd give this movie a 4 1/2. It was very good, and definitely worth seeing, but there have been some movies more deserving of the full 5 stars. Still, this movie has a lot going for it. Here what's good:
1. The premise of this movie is unique. It's a great fantasy. Who wouldn't want that level of smarts. He's able to protect himself, make a killing on Wall Street and even impress women by ordering dinner speaking Italian. Just pop a pill and you're able to pretty much conquer the world. Great concept.
2. I like movies with smart heroes. This movie has that - well sometimes. The trouble with our hero is that without the drug he's an average guy who's sincere but not all that interesting, smart or even very likable. And when he's on the drug he's almost all about making money and having fun.
In the characters favor, he does sincerely love a woman, and he honestly wants to be the better man she needs and deserves. Or at least to appear that way.
Regardless of his flaws, the movie pulls you in, and you'll care about Bradley's character. This is usually essential for a movie to be good, and this movie succeeds in that. Cooper does an excellent job portraying the character in all his states.
3.Read more ›
It's been a couple weeks since I saw this. It's still there in my memory.
I think there are several reasons, not necessarily in order of importance:
1) The opening credits are worth the price of admission on their own. Whatever you were thinking when you sat down in the theater, you're transported immediately to somewhere else... wherever that will turn out to be. Amazing and outstanding!
2) The overall plot is Hitchcock-esque. You don't know what's going to happen, and cliches are out the window. As the story builds, the suspense is palpable.
3) The visuals... This isn't on the scale of an AVATAR, but parts of it approach The Matrix. This movie is really a trip-and-a-half.
4) The performances, and dramatic direction, are excellent, as are many other production factors, including music, that don't smack you in the face but which are indispensible to the experience.
5) The ending is entirely non-cliche and unpredictable. Hitchcock would be proud to have directed it.
So, although it isn't populated with super-star actors and actresses (yet), this is a blockbuster, destined for cult fame and longevity.
The more I think about it, the more I like it.
The only disappointment was the "Extended Cut" - I didn't see much besides about 10 seconds of footage that added nothing to the movie. The trailer shows things that are never said in the movie - why not include those scenes in the extneded cut or at least on a deleted scenes reel. The alternate ending is not much of an alternate. Excellent movie, disappointing extras on the DVD.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
One of Bradley Coopers best movies to star in. This movie keeps you on your towns and never has a dull moment. This movie is in the top 3 all time bests for mePublished 5 hours ago by Amazon Customer
Very new idea. Great story,funny,serious. I dont get why it is ending.Published 23 hours ago by regina scott
Great movie - especially as a prelude to the series which turned out to be surprisingly good. Do have issue with Amazon streaming. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Mike G
Customers Also Watched on Amazon Video
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Action > General
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > All Fox Titles