Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on August 9, 2014
So I did not purchase this to use for a photography backdrop. I purchased this to use to display product at conventions in the Artist Alley. I sell prints and posters, and needed something that I could hang my banner on along with some of the prints and posters. That being said, the items I hung from the stand are not that heavy, but I still feel that the stand was very sturdy.

Max actual height: 9 feet 3 inches
Bar length possibilities: 10ft, 7’6”, 4’11”, 2’5”
** Subtract 4 inches from all lengths if you put the rod through a banner**
Longest piece (the base element): 37 inches
Total Weight: 8 lbs (according to the shipping box)

I purchased this because I needed something to replace my current PVC pipe setup, which is heavy and difficult to manage. I found this, upon first impressions was FAR better looking that painted PVC pipe.

PROS: It’s so small and LIGHT compared to my usual PVC pipe display, and easy for one person to construct on their own. I am not a strong lady and I was easily able to hold out the entire length of the top bar while I placed it up. It comes in a great carrying case which can fit into any car. The aluminum rods are of good quality and incredibly easy to assemble. Some of the rods are very snug when they fit together, but this is a plus. As long as things are not jammed and time it taken to assemble it, it’s rather sturdy and can easily handle any paper items - banners, prints and posters.
The black coating is nice. I would be careful about scratching it, but it looks MUCH nicer than spray painted PVC.
It is pretty sturdy overall. I tried to push it over (as if someone was knocking into it really hard) and it did not fall over.

CONS:
The tighteners on the base and the support rods are made of plastic! I do not like plastic, as it can break - even good quality plastic. I would personally be afraid of these breaking, so I was careful when tightening them. Even with this I don't plan to return it.
It’s doesn't fit the 6 foot table length very well (what most conventions have). As you can see from the measurements above it’s either a foot shorter or 1.5 feet longer. It will fit an 8 foot table alright though.

Final Impression:
Would recommend!

Here are some more photos that I put on Tumblr with more measurements and close ups (sorry I can't figure out how to put them in here)

I haven't used it yet for a convention so we'll see if I need to update this if anything goes amiss.
on May 29, 2014
Admittedly, I did not buy this for stand for photography purposes, as it was intended for. I purchased this stand to mount cameras above tables to record various table-top games played at a local hobby shop.

Though, I am not using for it's intended purpose, I feel that this review is still relevant as it will illustrate how durable the stand is. When it arrived, I was immediately impressed. All of the parts came in a convenient hand bag with instructions inside. The setup was extremely easy (even for one person) and only took a few minutes. The material of the stand seems to be made of a lightweight, yet sturdy aluminum. Additionally, the stand does seem to extend to the full dimensions that are advertised (10' x 8.5').

I immediately set up my stand, mounted two cameras on the top bar that runs horizontal and it worked perfectly. Despite the weight of two cameras, the stand did not topple over as some cheaper ones do and the horizontal bar did not sag or bend. I suggest setting your stand up on a solid and flat surface, otherwise you may experience problems. For those of you who are photographers reading this review, if this stand can hold two of my cameras, then you should have no problems with it holding most of your backdrops.

I only have two minor critiques about this item, which is why I rated it a 4 instead of a 5:

1. The rubber feet on the bottom of the stand do not grip very well. The rubber feet on the bottom are merely a flat, plastic cap that does not help the stand "grip" the floor for additional stability. I think that this is a minor manufacturing flaw that could easily be fixed.

2. I wish that the stand had a little more weight in the bottom of the stand where the feet fold out. Though I mentioned earlier that the stand is sturdy, it is only sturdy if it isn't touched. However, the first time that someone accidentally bumps into the stand, I feel confident that it will topple over. The reason for this is because the is no added weight at the bottom of the stand to create stability. In the future, I would love to see these manufactured with a little more weight towards the bottom to hold the stand down better.

Overall, it is a good piece of equipment and those are the only two flaws that I have noticed with the equipment. It is priced very fairly in the "Photography Backdrop Stand" market and will be a fine stand for any beginner or intermediate photographer!
on August 20, 2014
Great for beginners but not much else. The support bar across the top is flimsy and cannot take any weight besides a drop cloth. I used a denim backdrop which slightly bowed the piece parted pole. The top pole is made up of 4 sections that interlock to form one long pole, very flimsy if fully extended. The supports seem to be ok but the tightening nuts for the bases are plastic and wont likely hold up to very long use if over tightened. The bag is pretty lame and I would recommend replacing it. Overall good for beginners but not much else. I may purchase additional poles to replace the top bar for additional support for thicker canvas backdrops.
on January 18, 2017
I question how long this product will last when used with anything but the lightest of backgrounds. The aluminum tubes that run horizontally from one stand to the other are very thin walled metal. If one of them were ever to be dropped the tube end would bend out of shape and would no longer fit into the other mating tubes. They are a very snug fit when they are perfectly round and the slightest ding would render them useless. You have to tighten the clamps that lock the riser poles pretty tight to keep them from slipping. i am afraid that the thin plastic clamps will soon break. You can see them bend from the force when they are tightened tight enough to keep the poles from slipping under the weight of the backdrop. In other words, you get what you pay for.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2016
Got this for my son who does experimental animation as well as photo shoots and it is perfect for his needs. I set it up and checked it out first as well just to see how easy it would be for my husband and I to set up. It wasn't too bad and I think one person would be able to set it up on their own as well. It is light weight and not super sturdy and all but for someone on a budget this is great and if you're careful enough can last a while I think for sure. Since it is light weight and not as sturdy as the more expensive ones you can't hang super heavy clothes on it, which for my sons needs it's just fine. For such a great price it's exactly what it should be and then some in my opinion.
on March 15, 2016
Cheaply made, not at all sturdy. Seems like it may be missing parts, no instructions for how to assemble. I received 2 of the same bar, one of which was scratched and scuffed, clearly it had been used before. I know you get what you pay for, but with the reviews I had hoped to at least get something useable. This barely stands, even with the sandbags I purchased. This set is just embarrassing, save up for the quality product, I don't recommend this one.
on October 15, 2016
You're better off buying a couple of clothes racks and standing them side by side. The back drop was cool, but I mean you can just buy black material at a sewing shop and it'd be just as effective as this one would. The top bar is far to flimsy. I felt like it really shouldn't be fully extended up either. I felt unsafe placing my baby anywhere near this, even if I used a sand bag on the legs. Even placing as sand bag made me feel like the legs would just cave right on in and come crashing down. Nope. Nope. Nope.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2017
This is easily assembled, accommodates a variety of heights and widths, very versatile. It is very lightweight so it is very easy to transport. Unfortunately because of it being so light weight, wind can easily knock it down. I had it displayed inside an open doorway and the breeze did knock it down.
on March 17, 2016
I was delighted upon receiving it. The stand is well constructed and felt like a real value for the price. Pieces were wrapped individually and it is very easy to assemble. The canvas bag keeps everything organized. The entire frame is sturdy and shows no sign of buckling even when using a heavy gauge vinyl backdrop. I did wish though it had a small pocket for the straps. The clips seemed flimsy so I replaced those with some larger screen screw-lock clips and it worked like a charm. Overall, it is a great entry level photography backdrop stand.
on May 23, 2017
Great value on a portable unit. Worked well for a on site commercial shoot.