Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on July 23, 2014
This kit is what it is. It's an inexpensive kit that works adequately for most people's needs. It's not professional grade, but if you're just taking photos of items that are less than 16" square so that you can upload them to a website for sale, this kit is quite adequate.

I've found that the lights that came with the kit have a very orange-ish cast to them, in layman's terms, so they may or may not truly represent the color of your item in your photos. To get around that, you may wish to order the "NEEWER® 160 LED CN-160" video light. In my experience, with the clear filter on that light, the color of the items I've photographed was more natural.

I used this lightbox to photograph products for a friend who sells jewelry, and the plain white background served as an excellent backdrop. The only issue I had was that the sides of the lightbox are not connected to the bottom, so occasionally there was some of the material underneath (in this case, dark carpet) showing through. That can be easily remedied, however, by simply placing the lightbox on a white countertop or a white sheet of some sort.

And for photographing items where you may want a slight reflection (such as jewelry, where that reflection is called the "Tiffany effect," after the famous jeweler), all you have to do is purchase a sheet of inexpensive, clear acrylic from your local large hardware and building supply store. They will also cut it to the size you want; I chose 14" square to leave some room on the edges, though I'd probably choose 16" square next time.

One other piece of advice for DSLR users: purchase a remote for your camera. That will allow you to decrease your ISO, set your f-stop somewhere around f/22, and have longer shutter speeds. My shots were done at f/22 with ISO 400, and I was getting 1/2 second shutter speeds. That would be awful for anything handheld, but on a tripod and photographing nonmoving small items, it allowed me to have probably 99% of even large necklaces in focus and have very clear photographs. I did have to add some weight to the tripod that came with this kit to use the large LED light in my camera's hotshoe, but the lamps that came with the kit did a good job of being ballast!

After post-processing, the photos looked amazing and my friend's customers were very impressed! Considering the affordability of this kit, I am very satisfied.

The only issue for me is that I was sent one red, one white, and two blue backgrounds. The kit was supposed to have a black background. It seems like this was a packaging error, given how the item shipped. I will contact the company and ask if they will assist me in getting the correct background. If not, it's still no big deal- a piece of black felt cut to the correct size would do the job just as well.

EDIT: Just received word from the seller. They will be shipping me the correct black Chromakey background! One less problem to worry about!
28 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 5, 2012
I purchased this although this said that it was 20x20. The kit comes with a 16" x 16", and I decided to try it first. It turned out that it is a good size for most things that I need to photograph. I like that everything stores in itself, and it does help to take wonderful pictures of my products and put them on a website. I take pictures of jewelry, knit and crochet items. I also took the tripod out and took great family pictures. All in all it was a very good buy.

I did not give it five stars as the lamps get very very hot and according to the instructions you cannot use the lamps for more than one continuous hour. It cuts my productivity sometimes, as I'm afraid to burn something (or myself).

I do recommend this set as it is a great value. I recommend it to people who post items to sell on the internet, and for blogs. It really does make a difference. If you can take pictures with natural daylight, great! I mostly take pictures at night, as my days are pretty busy, so it gives me the flexibility to work when I can work.
65 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 18, 2013
The good: The light tent comes with colored backdrops -- a nice touch. The light box folds up into a neat case and has two pockets.

The bad: The colored backdrops have a woven texture that is visible in pictures. The two lamps that come with the light tent are DIM. With them both on, and with an ISO of 400, I couldn't get a shutter speed faster that 4 seconds. Four seconds! That's how dim the lights are. The lights' bases are very flimsy as well, and the tripod that comes with fell over under the weight of my DSLR.

The ugly: Get this -- the backdrops don't even extend all the way to the sides of the box. The backdrops are about 1/2" narrower than the box, so there's a 1/4" gap on either side through which you can see the black case the light box comes in. You therefore can only take extremely closeup pictures of small items (provided you can get a decent exposure with the piddly little lights) or else the edges of the backdrop show.

I was attracted by the price, but am returning this light tent.

I'd say you get what you pay for, BUT.... I made a totally amateur (and free) DIY setup consisting of a cardboard box with windows cut out of it, and tissue paper over those windows, along with three work lamps equipped with 50w daylight bulbs. It ain't pretty, but it works infinitely better than this useless product.
81 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on June 11, 2014
Very happy with the quality and design! Everything (except the colored backgrounds and the tripod) will fit easily in the carrying case. The unit assembles with Velcro easily and neatly. The Four included colored backgrounds (red, blue, black, and white) insure you can get good contrast for any object to be photographed. I've tried to photograph small, intricate items before but gave up due to glare, etc. This eliminates, for all practical purposes, glare and provides nice even light on target.
Lights - Worked fine. I think they are a little underpowered but I had my ISO pretty low when testing. They aren't particularly strong but if you treat them reasonably well you'll have no problems. They do get hot so get 'em aligned quickly and don't handle the bulb area after they've been in use to adjust 'em.
Tripod - Flimsy, but what can you expect? A "good" tripod costs more than this entire unit. I can say this for it (and it surprised me) even fully extended (legs and vertical post) it held a Canon 5D with 50mm lens fine. I was a little worried all the time but now I know it will do it. I'll probably use my other tripod instead though. A small lighter camera (which the 5D isn't) will work great.
Overall - Well worth the purchase price. It'll make photographing small objects much easier while eliminating glare. Plus I'm sure I can find uses for the lights as accent lighting in other photos. Oh, make it easier on yourself and use either a remote shutter control or your camera's shutter delay.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I was looking for a box with lights that I could also use with my portable studio. As it happened, the lights in this thing are mounted oddly (a twist with two prongs) and don't tend to stay in their sockets very well. Their tripods aren't given to being used with other things, so between that and the tendency for the lamps to pop out of their mounts, my desire for a hard spot with my portable studio is kind of shot.

I've never seen light bulbs like these before and will likely have a hard time finding replacements, were I to use them (I'm not going to use them). I'd have rather paid for just the box, sans lights and tripod, and bought a cheap set of clip-on work lamps and decent chromatic bulbs had I known.

The box itself is fine and does the job well, even if all you have is a desk lamp (otherwise this review would be really awful). The rest is cheap (if you're using anything more than a small, point and shoot camera, the tripod will present challenges since it's very flimsy in the head. Anything over 2 pounds will likely give you trouble.). If you can find just the box and have the lights from your car work lamp, you'll probably be happier (and have a lot less hard of a time finding replacement bulbs), even if this seems like a bargain, go with the stand-alone box and customize your lighting to suit your needs. In the end, I expect you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.
on June 11, 2014
Negative issues they turned into positive issues;
the tripod has a bolt that holds the top attachment onto the bottom part so it can swivel, it broke off. I didn't make an issue of this.
the kit arrived with the wrong size backdrops, they didn't have any that fit, so they sent a larger one, which worked out fine.
the bulb blew out of one of the lights shortly after a week's work
the tripod is too tall for the work I need it for, but not their fault
one light arrived broken, they graciously sent another,
one light broke as I was using it; the base detached from the head; it's still broken. I didn't talk to them about it.
The box is great, though, and easy to break down and put back up. I use it a lot with other lighting.
Generally a good concept for a kit if the lights and tripod worked. Very disappointed.
on November 6, 2014
First let me say - I am the most inexperienced photographer ever! But I have a little soap shop on Etsy and needed to be able to take good photos to highlight my soaps. My BF ( who is experienced with photography) made me a beautiful light box but the cat sat on it and destroyed it.

So I gave this one a whirl. We didn't have any luck with it. We were modifying it so much that we decided to go back to the homemade light box. I didn't sent it back because I thought perhaps some of the items could be salvageable for our next light box.

Pros- great little carry case to pack everything up in.
Cons-
Lights cast the wrong hue.
Everything is very flimsy
No matter how hard we tried- even with different lights- we could not eliminate the shadows
Lights got excessively hot even after only 5-10 minutes.
on June 5, 2015
Like this set-up. Bought another one from ebay and had to return. I like the roll-up colors rather than having to iron them to use. The lights are a bit top-heavy but everyone's is. This is a bit more expensive than some - but you get 2 different types of lights, the roll-up colors rather than folded and extra pockets in the carry bag. Lastly, the tripod is awesome. I don't have to screw it on and off every time I use it; it fits into a notch on the very sturdy tripod and easily comes off so I can take photos, transfer to my laptop and take more real quickly. Recommend!
on July 15, 2016
This is a decent set-up, especially for a beginning photographer. Just a few things.

-The lightbox is sturdy, and folds into a nifty carrying case. It's perfect for someone who travel a lot.
-The included tripod was sturdy enough to hold my Canon DSLR camera. That being said, it IS a cheap tripod and still feels very flimsy.
-The red, black, and blue screens are nice for photographing white objects. I was afraid that they would be made of a felt-like material, but thankfully they weren't.
-The tabletop lights are handy, but like the tripod, the plastic used for them feels cheap and will likely break if dropped or hit too hard. And they do tend to get a little warm during longer photography sessions.
-I love that they included a set of halogen bulbs, but they don't seem to go into the lights straight due to their design.
All in all, it's a decent set for the price, but as with all things, you pay for what you get. I would recommend this to someone just starting out, someone who takes photos for an online store, or for someone who travels a lot.
on May 1, 2015
I'd give the portable light box and the light-weight tripod 5 stars. It's ingenious the way it all packs away to nothing and so easy to set up. I probably could have bought a larger light box, which would be more versatile - you can always shoot a small object in a bigger box, but you can't shoot something big in a small box, right?
It's the lights that I didn't like. They're so lightweight the cords outweigh them, so they're difficult to position, and they're hot, hot, hot, high wattage halogen bulbs that you have to turn off periodically. Even though I followed the directions, one bulb blew out pretty quickly. I used clip-on LED bulbs instead that worked just fine.