Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on November 1, 2015
Bought 2 sets. 1st set worked fine. Plugged in the first of the 2nd set, a big puff of smoke came out of the unit, it immediately started crackling, and caught fire within seconds. If I hadn't moved quickly, it would've started a fire in my dining room. Buyer beware.
review image
14 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
It's a pretty simple device, so there isn't much to expect. As long as the socket doesn't deform and loose contact with the bulb/strobe, and as long as the plastic doesn't crack and break, it will be fine. I've used a similar item (they all look alike) for a couple of years without incidents, so I hope this one will last, too. The adjustment knobs work well - they keep the set angle even with a heavy umbrella attached. I am usually very careful with my equipment, but I don't think these sockets would do well in a professional environment; but then again, in such case, you'd be looking to spend more than ten bucks on your lighting.
on February 24, 2014
As an amateur DSLR photographer I don't have a lot of money to spend on a studio set-up. These sockets have worked perfectly with 85 watt daylight CFL bulbs that are ten inches long. They hold the bulbs securely and have an easy off/on switch on the back of the sockets. My umbrellas mount on the sockets easily. The whole process of setting up stands, sockets, umbrellas and bulbs takes less than five minutes. Highly recommended.
5 people found this helpful
on November 8, 2015
One of the two lights didn't work at all. They seem nice enough though, haven't used them for a shoot yet, only to test. Might change review based on that. I have two different brands of stands and they work on both, and fit snug.

As for the one being dead, you get what you pay for. These are very cheap, and I'm thankful that I did order two instead of one, because I'm only partially in trouble instead of completely in trouble. With a service that ships fast though, you expect a product to work out of the box; unfortunately it wasn't the case with these, hence the three stars. We will see how their customer service department handles the matter.

If you are having problems with an item don't expect customer service to have it shipped anytime soon. I've now done two shoots without my extra head. Demoting this review to 2 stars.
on December 1, 2015
Love these lamp holders. They have holes for umbrellas, the switch is on the back of the holder, which is easier to use than the other style I have that has a rocker switch on the cord. Well made, seem heavy duty. I have used it once and I am sold!.
If I could change one thing, it would be to make the cord longer. With the length of the cord, I have to use an extension. (on a tabletop setup). The cord is not short, but I love LONG!
on June 22, 2014
Since I purchased the one foot long fluorescent bulbs for my lighting set, my old sockets not only couldn't be used with the accompanying metal reflectors but also, the umbrella's didn't fit in the umbrella holder slots.

I ordered two of these sockets which fit nicely on the top of my stands plus my umbrellas fit properly into them.

At the backside of the socket is an easy on/off switch.

These were inexpensive and I'm happy with my purchase.
on March 22, 2014
Ordered two sets and by accident they only shipped one. Customer service immediately corrected the problem and mailed the second set (I needed four, in total). These are economical, so they're lightweight. Don't strip them out by over-tightening. These work great with CowboyStudio Set of Two 7 feet Photography Light Stands with Cases and Full Spectrum Light Bulb - Alzo 85 Watt Compact Fluorescent Cfl - Pack Of 4 - 5500K- Alzo Joyous Light Daylight Pure White Light - 4250 Lumins. Happy filming~*
on January 27, 2016
I've purchased two sets of the light stand sockets to use with my Phillips Hue light bulbs. Two of the bulbs are on practically all day every day. The other two bulbs typically you have on for a couple hours a day. Their lightweight and inexpensive but I've had absolutely no problems.
review imagereview image
on December 3, 2015
One worked just fine with 2 x Photo Studio Photography 105 Watt 6500K Day Light Fluorescent Full Spectrum Bulb, LimoStudio,LMS121 and one did not. I got these just to do a cheap set up and experiment with CFL, so it's not a huge deal.

The other one needed to have the light bulb screwed in -very- tightly before it worked.

You're definitely getting what you pay for.
on January 28, 2014
The lights seem like they are reasonably good quality.

I got them for shooting video, and I like the fact that they will fit on my light stands and use my photography accessories. They seem to work best with a shoot-thorough umbrella or umbrella box. If you use a reflecting umbrella, you get a fair amount of direct light from the bulbs, because they are no shaded. I made some shades to block the direct light, but it's no the best system.