Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,514 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,047 reviews
on September 13, 2016
Daniel Day-Lewis never fails to disappoint me in any character he plays. He took Lincoln to another level. What a genuine magnificent view of a story most of us won't otherwise learn about. The cast of characters and the story is just amazing. The ending will give you a moment to ponder too.
on September 5, 2016
I love this movie. I love Daniel Day Lewis. He has to be one of the greatest actors ever. He makes Lincoln come alive in this movie. He portrays him as one would imagine Lincoln to be.

And, although Daniel Day Lewis was amazing, his was not the only amazing performance. There was some "talk" about Sally Field being too old to play Mary Todd Lincoln, but she wasn't, and her performance was very moving as well.

This has got to be in the top three or five of Steven Spielberg's best.

Additionally, it was so very interesting to learn about what went into Lincoln getting the thirteenth amendment passed. It is definitely a history lesson.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, see it soon.

If you have seen this movie, watch it again.
on March 3, 2014
I wonder what old Abe would say if he saw this? History is always so much more interesting when brought to life before your eyes. Yes, we understand that there is a whole bunch of improvising going on but the events leading up to Mr Liincoln's day at the theater are factual. I believe that Mr Lewis brought Mr Lincoln's human side to life, capturing the man that by all accounts was a great story teller. So, would Mr Lincoln laugh at how he was presented? would he polish his fingers on his shirt and say "Yes, that exactly how it was!" or...'I'd like to meet this fellow Lewis" We'll never know...but this certainly is not a waste of time to see - the entire piece does make history come alive and what a lesson there is to learn here about our current politics.
on April 6, 2017
Is there anyone Daniel Day Lewis cannot bring to life? What a fascinating portrayal. Film was all the more intriguing because not many know the backstory of how the 13th amendment actually got passed, and why. Recent political developments are inevitably compared.
on April 3, 2017
Very well made movie. I enjoyed watching it but to be honest I don't think I would watch it again. It gets to be so solum half way through.
Sally Field's performance as Mary Todd Lincoln is great. It's a good movie you just have to remember the era it's set in.
on May 1, 2017
Excellent! I read several biographies of Lincoln but I was not quite through Doris Kerns Goodwin's book when I saw this film. Daniel Day-Lewis nails Lincoln's tough yet sensitive persona. Sally Fields gives a solid performance as Mary Todd and the supporting cast is outstanding. Spielberg sets a mood of the Civil War era that's rarely seen -the horrific battle fields, resentments and prejudices of those sad and hard-life times. Anyone who's a Lincoln or Civil War buff should own this film, it's breathtaking in it's realism! It's nuances about Lincoln as a leader, a father and a politician is spot-on --- he was so self deprecating yet could and did understand what Emancipation would mean - far passed his time!
on April 7, 2017
I loved it even more the second time. So many great things to say, but my absolute favorite thing in this film is the Tommy Lee Jone's character and his performance. And the way his character ends is just... beautiful. It's a reminder that our beloved Abraham Lincoln and all those who fought to end slavery for good were....politicians. Very relevant to think about.
on May 13, 2014
Is LINCOLN Steven Spielberg's finest achievement? Let's just say there's a lot of competition. Yet the awards, the acclaim, the accolades, the audience reception of this remarkable film speak for themselves. Telling the story of the last four months of our 16th President's life, LINCOLN focuses on the passage of the 13th Amendment--the abolishment of slavery. The Civil War is winding down; Lincoln, fearful that his Emancipation Proclamation which declared the slaves war contraband would be struck down by the courts, takes on a sense of urgency to pass the amendment in the month of January, during a lame duck Congress. With a slim Republican majority, the president is going to need some Democrats to join the Republicans; fortunately, there are 64 lame duck Democrats--who just might be looking for patronage jobs come March. Secretary of State William Seward (David Strathairn), the president's right hand man, recruits three self-proclaimed "scoundrels" (James Spader, John Hawkes, Tim Blake Nelson) to approach these Democrats in an effort to "buy" them off. The machinations of this sausage making is fascinating, and as a Confederate delegation reaches General Grant (Jared Harris) to discuss a cessation of hostilities, the story becomes more layered and compelling. We all know from history the amendment passes--narrowly--and LINCOLN then focuses on the ending of the brutal war--and the tragic ending of the president's life.

Daniel Day-Lewis is an extraordinary actor, and here he gives a spellbinding performance as the tall, slender, introverted, brooding, careworn Commander-in-Chief. Yet the actor conveys another layer to this complex man; Lincoln might have the weight of the world on his shoulders, but his wit was always razor sharp, and he could relate a plethora of stories at the drop of a hat. Day-Lewis makes this film work, and work exceedingly well. The entire cast is stellar, but in particular I was most impressed by Tommy Lee Jones (fierce abolitionist Congressman Thaddeus Stevens), Sally Field (a shrill, feisty Mary Todd Lincoln), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (eldest child Robert Lincoln, who desperately wants to get in the fight), James Spader as referenced above, Bruce McGill (fiery Secretary of War Edwin Stanton), and Jared Harris as General Grant in what was comparably a very small role. Numerous actors have relatively brief roles as Congressmen or telegraph operators or staffers, yet everyone meshes in elegant believability.

This Blu-Ray edition offers several bonus features; all of them are very good. From interviews with Spielberg, the cast, and the production crew, to showing us how the film was shot in Richmond, Virginia, to behind-the-scenes looks at sets, costumes, props, and musical scoring, it's all material that enhances the viewing experience. Spielberg has made several remarkable films. There would be no objection from this reviewer to make the argument that LINCOLN is this filmmaker's very best.
--D. Mikels, Esq.
on April 11, 2013
I watched on line and I ordered a copy for my uncle. I had difficulty hearing dialog online, but that may be my problem. I also had some kind of glitch where the video stopped. My uncle reported to me that his copy stopped at 108 minutes, but since he got it to continue, he did not wish to return it. The atmosphere and the acting were excellent. The look at the workings of government and the passage of the 13th ammendment were fascinating. I will have to get better speakers or get a dvd myself to improve sound quality. I don't know if the pause was intentional or not on the disk and online. I liked seeing Lincoln's character being portrayed as a politician, storyteller, husband, and father in a more real and rounded way, not just as a revered and heroic figure.

I will have to look at the movie again to see if it really holds up as a drama. I felt somewhat disappointed in the lack of emotional involvement that I felt at times.
on November 25, 2014
I had very high expectations for this movie that were not met. I suppose I expected too much from a Hollywood production, but anyone who’s read Ms. Goodwin’s excellent book “Team of Rivals”, the alleged basis for the film, or any of the dozens, maybe hundreds of good books about Lincoln and/or this period knows how utterly grim and exhausting Lincoln’s life was during the Civil War and especially the mystery of how and where he found the strength to carry on through the period depicted. Also, the important back story of the tension in the cabinet was barely touched on. From my reading, Lincoln had an even higher nasal pitch than shown. I sense the production staff didn't have the depth of understanding of the era and the Man to stage the film with better authenticity. I am a great admirer of Daniel Day-Lewis, but did not like him in this role. The supporting cast was better. It pains me to say that I believe the project would have been done better in the UK with a different cast. The subject deserves better than this.