Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Linda Sonna
Selections from Dr. Sonna's forthcoming book, "The Wannabe Unicorn"
Bellas Artes, Ignacio Hernandez Macias #75
San Miguel de Allende, Gto., Mexico
September 29, 2018
5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
1000 Poets Literary Reading
Studio of Pat Ramón Corona 5B, Ajijic, Jalisco
February 10-March 31, 2018
Individual consultations to help writers with their writing goals, projects, & personal issues.
La Manzanilla, Jalisco
February 8, 2018
La Manzanilla, Jalisco
December 17, 2017
Unitarian Universalist Church Holiday Bazaar
La Aldea Hotel, Ancha de San Antonio, San Miguel de Allende
November 25, 2017 - January 15, 2018
$5.00 Kindle Holiday Special
"Tortillas & Peanut Butter: True Confessions of an American Mom Turned Mexican Smuggler" price reduced!
Sunday, Dec. 9, 11-3 p.m.
The Literary Sala Holiday Book Sale
Short Reading + Presentation, "Etiquette for Expats" at 2:45 p.m.
Casa Europa, San Francisco #23, San Miguel de Allende
Oct. 26-28, 2017
Free Kindle book, "Tortillas & Peanut Butter: True Confessions of an American Mom Turned Mexican Smuggler"
Clarifying Cross-Cultural Conundrums
Open Circle, Lakeside Chapala Society, 16 de Septiembre #16, Ajijic, Jalisco
Psychologist and author Dr. Linda Sonna will discuss the differences in Mexican and North American worldviews, values, attitudes, beliefs, and customs that commonly confound intercultural encounters.
FREE ebook on July 11, 2017
Tortillas & Peanut Butter: True Confessions of an American Mom Turned Mexican Smuggler is
Paperback giveaway promotion
May 9-23, 2017
April 13, 2017, 5-6 p.m.
San Miguel Literary Sala
Hotel La Aldea, Ancha de San Antonio 15, Centro, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
March 11, 2017, 1-3 p.m.
InterNations Book Club
Restaurante Casa Refugio, La Condesa, Mexico City
Sign up at www.InterNations.org
March 6, 2017, 7-9 p.m.
E-Readers Book Club of Mexico City
Cafe Flora Lounge, Avenida Michoacan 54, Col. Condesa
Free; pay for your food & drinks.
Reservation required: Call +52 (551) 170-7015
or email ccharmoli at yahoo dot com (replace "at" with @, "dot" with ., remove the blank spaces).
To book an author chat, interview, or presentation on Mexican culture, creative writing, or parenting, see www.DrSonna.org.
Customers Also Bought Items By
The time-tested, gentle, and successful method that introduces children to potty training as early as six months
While parents around the world successfully potty train their children well before preschool age, in the United States, we've moved away from this early introduction. However, there's no evidence that later is better--in fact, there's even significant reason to believe that later can be detrimental.
Written by a respected child psychologist, Early-Start Potty Training shows why the early-start method is preferable to the commonly used readiness method. Waiting until children show signs of readiness can hold them back from preschool, cost a fortune in diapers, and lead to health problems. The early-start method avoids these concerns by starting the process of training as early as six months old.
This easy-to-follow program provides you with:
- Time-tested training tips for introducing toddlers--and even infants--to the potty
- Methods for combating common problems of training delay
- A troubleshooting plan for moving toddlers from diapers to potty independence
- Hints on how to overcome accidents and build confidence in children
As you know, the ''tween'' years, which fall between the ages of eight and twelve, can often be a challenging time for both you and your child. The Everything Tween Book, written by child psychologist Dr. Linda Sonna, helps you navigate the trying years between childhood and adolescence. From addressing such serious issues as eating disorders and school violence to learning tolerance for pink and blue hair, The Everything Tween Book helps you understand and cope with your child’s psychological, social, and emotional needs.
The Everything Tween Book provides sound, professional advice on:
- Understanding - and dealing with - rebellion
- Improving communication
- Managing sibling spats
- Helping your tween face peer pressure
- Ensuring good health
- Teaching sex education
Packed with practical advice and reliable tips to help you get through the worst conflicts, The Everything Tween Book ensures that you stay sane while your tween blossoms into a healthy, happy, and mature young adult.
- 2017 BookLife Prize, Memoir/Autobiography: "This book is well crafted and features a strong narrative engine....The plot hits the ground running, contains unexpected twists and turns, and is thoroughly immersive....The writing boasts a wonderful electricity and an engaging voice.... An unfortunately common situation...quickly develops into a wonderfully uncommon and heartfelt adventure."
- An Erma Bombeck "Hot Tamale"
- “Spot-on, highly entertaining, and absolutely hilarious” - Lynne Willard, Editor & U.S. expat -
- "Jaw-droppingly hilarious" Carol Penn-Romaine, award-winning writer -
- A wealth of cultural information tucked between the chuckles -
- Discussion questions for book clubs & classrooms -
- As the zany protagonist comes to understand Mexico & appreciate Hispanic culture, readers do the same -
- 20% of profits go to the ACLU -
- "Holy Cow! This book is hilarious!" - Cynthia Norman, Cosmic Philosopher -
- “Learning about a new culture can be hilarious – as seen through this book!” – Diane Gilliard, Counselor -
- An Amazon Top-10 Bestseller in Travel/Mexico (7/17-9/17); Biography/Memoir, Crimes & Criminals, Solo Travel, Single Parenting, Teen & Young Adult Biographies (various dates) -
A suburban housewife liberates herself from her peanut-butter-and-jelly life and flees to Mexico. While battling the cultural quirks that send less adventurous souls hightailing it back to the U.S., she struggles to learn Spanish, cope with foreign customs, raise her kids, and run a school. To supplement her meager income she smuggles, using her gift for gab and wily wit to outfox the government officials. But not all of her smuggling tricks and tactics go as planned.
EMBEDDED MULTICULTURAL ISSUES
- The women’s movement
- The 1960s cultural revolution
- Culture shock
- Immigrant adjustment & adaptation
- Immigrant parenting issues
- Identity development in children of immigrants
- Intergenerational value clashes in immigrant families
- Diverse customs & mores
- Cultural evolution
- Expatriate re-integration
- Individualist/Independent (e.g., North American) vs. Interdependent/Collectivist (e.g., Hispanic) orientation to:
° Time (past/present/future)
° Activity (being/becoming/doing)
° Social relations (hierarchical/collateral/egalitarian)
° Self-efficacy (fate/destiny vs. personal control)
Recognize when your child is, and isn't, ready;
- Become a "potty coach";
- Develop readiness skills;
- Understand bedwetting causes and cures; - Handle nighttime routines;
- Wean off diapers and pull-ups;
- Prepare for extended trips;
- Cope with regressive behavior.
Packed full of scenarios for all occasions inspired by real situations, The Everything Potty Training Book will have your child mastering this important skill in no time, while at the same time keeping everyone's sanity intact.