- File Size: 2004 KB
- Print Length: 86 pages
- Publisher: Global Endeavor, LLC; 1 edition (September 17, 2013)
- Publication Date: September 17, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00FAHAOVI
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #25,565 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
|Digital List Price:||$0.99|
|Print List Price:||$5.95|
Save $5.95 (100%)
Linear Shift, Part 1 Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
I'll be the first to admit it: I have trouble with time-shift stories. I have a hard time keeping it all straight in my head. The first time I watched Back to the Future I had to make a map to follow the story. So when I powered up my trusty Kindle to read Linear Shift, I approached it with trepidation (and a pencil and paper).
This is a novelette-sized story, approximately 13,000 words, and it involves time travel. Since this is the first installment and relatively short, there was no time travelling, so there was no need for my pencil and paper, yet.
Like any good story, Part One of Linear Shift establishes characters and provides glimpses of the world they live in. For this story it is Peter, a down-and-out man with two kids to support.
We learn about the miserable circumstances that he has dealt with for the past two years. Then we also see the unexpected chance offered to him, a chance to monetarily erase some of those previous bad circumstances. The reward is high, but the cost is higher. So he is faced with the dilemma of accepting the task, while knowing little of what is being asked of him.
Paul B. Kohler does a good job of telling a story as he has done in Linear Shift. His characters are intriguing. In fact, I found myself at odds with his protagonist. Because of some of Peter's decisions, I found myself not liking him very much. I'm not sure why, maybe because he is too believable.
Kohler provides plenty of hints of what's coming up. Seeing how he will unfold the story will be interesting.
Linear Shift contains cursing and a couple of sexual references. Luckily, the sexual references are fleeting, and the author doesn't dwell on them too much.
If you enjoy time travel, looking for a new author, and searching for a quick sci-fi read, then consider checking out Linear Shift by Paul B. Kohler. You won't be disappointed.
This review is also posted on my blog: [...]
I recommend it to regular sci-fi readers, as well as dabblers, and am excited for the next installment of the series!
An enjoyable first episode - tho' with a rather abrupt ending, as others have pointed out. I am sure that some of the intriguing elements will become clearer in part 2, and no doubt there will be more mysteries added, to be solved in part 3 ;-)
Disclosure - I won a copy of this eBook in an author give-away.
What I like about this part of the story is that it is a time-travel book without any time-travel. The author sets up the situation and the characters, but does not actually have anyone zipping through time causing butterfly effects. Time-travel, then, is just "a thing" in the story not "the thing." It's a very promising way to start the series.
Part two of this series is already on Amazon. I look forward to seeing if Paul can deliver on the setup he has already laid down for his readers.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Romance
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Time Travel
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > War & Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Time Travel