Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on October 14, 2012
First, and I'm sure most of you know this, please do not think this is a router. It isn't. You will need a router to connect multiple devices to your broadband. This is a Switch and its job is simply to add extra ports to your existing router. (Also, do not buy a second router to connect to your first router. It will much things up causing IP conflicts etc.)

I have five devices I wanted to hard wire to my router. But my router was 4 port. Enter this switch. Now it came barebones. The switch and the AC adapter. Being refurbished it had a little scuffing on the top. No instructions or cables included, si if you don;t have spares you will need to get CAT5 ethernet cables - one to connect to your router and one for each additional device you want to plug in. The online PDF (just search for "Cisco SE5100 setup" on the internet show you just connect port 1 of the switch to port 1 of the router. Plug in the AC and you are good to go. No configuration to run.

Now I have all 5 devices hard wired and 3 spare ports for future additions.
33 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 10, 2017
Simply the best small switch that does the job well and easy to install, I would like to let you guys know its built well and you can feel the quality of the product in terms of the feel and the material used in manufacturing it.
Its got large blinking lights that tells you of the connection to the internet or to your router, simply a great product.
This is my second unit, no noise .
on October 30, 2013
It's hard for me to rate this product because i wound up buying it when it wasn't what I needed. Not the manufacturer's fault, but I thought I'd share me experience to save you some potential trouble.

I wanted to go from my cable modem, to something that would split the signal (that's what I thought this switch was used for) to a hard line to a tower, and a hard line then to an airport express. This Switch did not fit that bill.

I wound up needing to buy a Cisco Linksys Factory Refurbished E1500 Wireless-N WiFi Router with SpeedBoost to split my signal. Again, my fault but that's not what a Switch does. It took me long enough to figure this out that I couldn't return it. Luckily it was pretty cheap, so I didn't have to worry to much.

I keep it around for something to have in my bag of networking tricks, and if I ever do use it, I'll update this review.
on August 5, 2016
I love my gadgets but am getting too many for the WiFi to handle. Between my TV, Blu Ray, printer and Roku I didn't want to run 4 separate cables from the modem/router around the living room to the entertainment center and printer stand. My brother came over and made a single cat6 cable to do the job. The switch took care of the rest. I can still send to the printer with WiFi through the modem.
Didn't get a gigabit switch because it'll be another century before the ISP's get anywhere close to 100 Mb/s speed. Where I am is too expensive for the 60 Mb/s cable, so I have DSL @ 5 Mb/s.
WooHoo now I'm cookin with gas!!
on February 11, 2014
This box worked fine for adding extra wired ports to my network after filling up my router. If you need to transfer large files between PCs though get a gigabit switch instead. I gave this one to my brother who used it to switch between his x-box and a satellite STB which both had wired ethernet ports. Worked fine for that. I bought a TP Link TL-SG1005D for about the same price as this switch which worked better for me since its a GB switch.
on June 3, 2013
I ran short on wired Ethernet connections, and rather than replace a perfectly good four-port router with a much more expensive 8-port router, I added this inexpensive switch instead. While it is sold as "refurbished", mine showed no wear whatsoever and appeared to be brand new.

As other reviews have stated, this is a SWITCH, which is not the same as a router. It has no WiFi capability and is really intended only for adding additional wired ports to an existing router. If you're not sure of the difference, seek advice before ordering.

It is a five-port switch, but at the end of the day, you end up with THREE more available ports than you started with. Suppose you have four devices already connected to your existing router. You need to connect a port on the switch to a port on the router, so you unplug one of the existing devices from the router. You connect a port on the switch (leaving 4) to that port on the router; then you connect that device to another port on the switch (leaving 3). At this point the switch and all four original devices are connected, and you have three new ports available on the switch.
on July 27, 2012
THe refurbished Linksys 5-port eithernet switch works fine. Would recommend trying the refurbished unit for the price rather than paying full price for the new one. Serves the purpose without any problems. Wasn't sure, took the chance, and am happy with the unit!
on July 14, 2015
Unit works great! For the price you can't beat it. I am ordering another. I have Ethernet cables run all through my house for different things and this switch keeps my modem from crashing . If I hook the Security DVR straight to my modem it will crash in a few minutes the switch manages all connections and keeps thing running smooth with no problems.
on May 6, 2014
First let me start by saying. I work in the field of IT and I would like to think I know something when it comes to switches.

This switch here is great it works exactly as advertised. I have had no issues. I understand that most consumers stray away from refurbished or used items, this I feel is in part because most people naturally want something that is theirs. That has not belonged to someone else. I can understand that. What I feel I have to say is you should almost never buy an electronic device because it is refurbished. When a company like linksys puts something up for sale as refurbished they are standing behind their product. They will not sell you junk. It is in their best interest to sell you a good product. Their name is on it and if it breaks or fails on you, chances are you will not buy a linksys again. So with that in mind please believe me when I say this is a good product that will more than likely serve you just as well as a new one and will save you a lot of money.
on October 25, 2014
Wow. Wish I had gotten one of these sooner. SOOOOOO much easier. Plug it in to your modem and plug in your computer cable and it just works right away. I very very happy with this way to increase the number of ports available for plugging in my devices. I got this refurbished switch thinking it would looked used but it's new and the price was so low I just couldn't pass it up. Not only did I increase the number of ports, my computer seems to be twice as fast using this switch. I'm not computer literate so I don't know why it's faster, it just is and I'm very pleased with it.