Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on June 5, 2016
Let's start off by saying this product does what it needs to do depending on the intended user. I purchased this product a little over two month ago and have been putting it through its paces. I personally use it to connect my living room receiver which needs a hard ethernet connection seeing as how it does not have wifi. My receiver enables me to use many streaming services that come preinstalled, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc. For the purpose of streaming, i find this product to do just the trick. I only gave this product three stars because it doesn't do so well in the gaming department. I also have a Playstation 4 and Xbox One in my home theater set up and i noticed much "lag" and bad connections while gaming. If your intended use is specifically for gaming you might want to rethink your strategy, might i suggest purchasing a ten dollar 100ft long ethernet cable and running it through your entire apartment / house. Other then that this product is pretty good and is very easy and quick to set up.
on December 15, 2016
I upgraded to this from a Net gear that was only getting about 85 Mbps which would go down to about half that speed as soon as I would download some thing.

This Linksys gets the speed that I was wanting from a Power Line. It says it's is connected at 175 Mbps. I check the speed and it's what it should be for me. With my old Power line it was taking twice as long to download some thing at the speed it has. This is a nice upgrade. Resolved my speed problems.

Arrived a day earlier than it should have.

Had to upgrade the Firmware. If you do yourself you will have to plug in one device to at a time to upgrade them both. Otherwise only one will be upgraded. The software you download from Linksys does all the Firmware upgrade for you, so it's easy to do.

Wish I would have bought it a long time ago
on November 8, 2014
I bought two pairs of these, to connect an Apple TV to my router without having to rely on WiFi, and also to connect a computer to the router. (I only needed three, but you can only buy them in sets of two, so I ended up with four). The set up was a complete no-brainer. You just plug them in to the nearest wall plug, either directly or using a power strip, and then you plug in the Ethernet cables. One adaptor was plugged in next to the router, and one each next to the Apple TV and the computer. The single adaptor connected to the router communicated to both remote adapters without any sort of special set up.

I measured the throughput between the router and the computer at 10 MB/s, which is on the slow end of things. This is fast enough for an Apple TV, even for transmitting HD signal, but it was much too slow, compared to the WIFI signal (40 MB/s) for general browsing.

For the Apple TV, even though the WIFI connection was faster, the wired connection was more stable and there were fewer stutters and freezes because it was a constantly-on and fixed speed connection. For general browsing, however, WiFI was a better choice because even though it would pause occasionally, the overall speed was more important and the occasional pause was not nearly as distracting as it was for the video stream.

So if you have application that needs a constant connection, these adapters are a great solution, but they are generally slower than high-quality WiFi. But if you don't care about the occasional pause or hesitation, but want the maximum download speeds, then high-quality WiFi would be a better choice.

Also bear in mind that the quality of the wiring in the house will make a huge difference. I tried these adapters at a newer house and using the same speed test, measured the connection speed at 40 MB/s which was equal to my WiFi connection, but the house they were purchased for is much older and the best I could get out of them was 10 MB/s.
on January 1, 2013
The wireless network between my two PCs was giving me fits -- the PCs would often have problems seeing each other. If they could see each other, they would often be unable to connect. I spent hours troubleshooting for Windows networking setup issues, to finally determine that the wireless networking speeds were simply very low and inconsistent.

The Powerline was a snap to set up -- just plug the adapters in and use the supplied cables to connect them to your router and the remote PC. That's it. Networking completed.

I often connect remotely from one PC to the other, since I use each of them for different functions and/or will be processing large music or video files on one while I use the other for surfing the net. This was tedious and frequently impossible on wireless (despite the fact that I have a very small house). I had given up and was using sneakernet for file transfer and starting jobs for processing, but no more! I now get ping speeds of average 2ms between the PCs and the full up/down bandwidth speeds of my internet connection (15 down/1.5 up).

If transfer speeds and consistent availability of your network are important to you, I recommend the Linksys Powerline as a great option.
on May 22, 2013
Using these for my outdoor web cams and they work like a charm, just don't power them through a plug strip or UPS for obvious reasons they won't work if you do.
Highly recommend for anyone who doesn't want to run fresh ethernet through an older home.

This is an update for my original review:
Just ordered two more kits, using my original set as above. Leaving one at the head end connected into my router my additional kits are connected to various lan devices.
Two are connected to two Engenius 202 Access points, works great, one as above connected to my webcam router, another connected to a game console and the final used for guest access who wants to use lan connection.

So if you have multiple devices you want to connect via Lan and not wireless and don't want to run Cat5 cables these will work just fine. Leave one at the head end and use the others for other modalities, laptops, desktops, webcams, game consoles... just purchase multiple kits to get your connections.
on August 30, 2016
Works great! Setup is quick and easy. My primary router is located on the first floor of our house and I wanted to use an Ethernet connection for my desktop in the attic since wifi was not an option. I was a bit scared that it would not work at first since my house is rather old and the connection would have to be to another floor.
When I first set it up, I hooked up the box to an extension cord on the second floor. This was my mistake as the internet was really bad, my ping was incredibly high, and lag would happen during games (my primary reason for the purchase).
After connecting the box to a wall outlet and not an extension cord the product works wonders. My ping went from the 300s to a solid 39. I have been using this product for well over a year now and I must same it was one of the best purchases I've ever made.
I never experience any kind of spikes like I did with wifi and the connection is solid.
on March 20, 2013
I bought these to replace a Linksys PLE300 that died. Previously I would have to powercycle the powerline units every six months or so because they would manage to wedge themselves. With these new units I have to reset everything every couple of days because the network wedges itself. Not recommended.
on September 11, 2013
I had to install one of these into my house (built in the 40s) as it is not wired for cable. The cable company installed my cable modem in the very back corner of the house but I wanted to setup my wireless router in a more centralized location in my home entertainment cabinet. So I simply plugged this into an outlet next to the modem and then plugged the other into an surge protector behind my tv. It connected immediately and I have had no problems with bandwidth. I cannot say enough good things about this. Granted I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to, but this little device prevented me from running wire through the tiny crawlspace that barely passes as an attic.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 25, 2016
Life saver. I work from home and get bored being in one place. This power line has allowed me the flexibility to work from any corner in my home. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had too many connectivity issues. Overall I Will recommend. My speed hasn't been affected much......
on February 28, 2013
I have had mixed experiences with these devices in the past, problems with crossing circuit breakers mainly and because of that I was a little apprehensive of buying this product. I needed something like this since my computer is to far away from my router to run a wire, without having it drag across my kitchen, and I have had bad experiences with wireless adapters for desktops.

At first I could not get it to work since I had both ends plugged into a surge protector but when I took one end and plugged it right into the wall it found the other one almost instantly. So I guess it depends on what kind of surge protector you have, you might have to plug it directly into the wally. But once I did that it found the other one without a problem and so far I am very pleased with it. Very good speeds and it has been reliable so far.