Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon October 1, 2015
I have a cellular internet hub (AT&T). I wanted to use it to reach various Internet-connected devices in my RV. I had a combination of wired and WiFi devices (laptops, DirecTV receivers, etc). I purchased a wireless router that would handle everything. The problem was finding a way to get the cellular hub connected to the router. The router needs an ethernet cable to get the Internet. This is the standard way your home system works. So the problem was to make a WiFi connection to the cellular hub and convert it into a wired ethernet connection. The Linksys WES610N-4 is the device that does the job.

Setting it up is really simple. Just connect the WES610N to your wireless router. Then power up the device and your cellular hub. You will find a way to connect to a WiFi device to your hub, generally a button to touch. Press the button on the Linksys and do the same on your hub. The devices will connect. Voila! You are done! You can connect wired devices to the 4 ports on the WES610N.

This works perfectly. I have been using it for months with no problems at all. It's worth every penny if you need a way to connect wired ethernet devices to a WiFi network.
on December 12, 2011
I have converted one of my bedrooms into a home-office, the only problem is that I had no way to get wired internet access to the room. Up until now I had been relying upon a USB wireless network adapter, but wanted to get my son's computer and my laser printer networked, so I went looking for a wireless bridge that would connect all of my networked devices in the office to my network. Upon the recommendation of a friend, I decided upon the Linksys (Cisco) WES610N. I was not disappointed. I had the device online and functional less then five minuted after unpacking it from Amazon's shipping box. Configuration of the unit was painless by accessing the administration web interface via the default IP address. My internet speed is noticeably faster and all of my office devices are happily online. Very happy and impressed with both the ease of installation as well as the performance of this little unit. Well worth paying a little extra for this model than others on the market!
21 people found this helpful
on January 1, 2014
I got this from Amazon via NorthEast Extreme Llc on December 23 2013 for $54.99. The Linksys firmware update page has a drop down box for model version allowing selection of V1 or V2. As there is no version number on the device and it already had the latest firmware for V1 installed - 1.0.05, I concluded it was a V1.

I have tried the TRENDnet N900 Dual Band Wireless Media Bridge, TEW-680MB and the NETGEAR Universal N900 Dual Band Wi-Fi to 4-Port Ethernet Adapter for Video and Gaming (WNCE4004) .

In my topology the wifi router is an ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Dark Knight. There are 11 total connections to the router, 10 wireless and 1 wired. The wireless include printer, HTIB, security cameras, android phones, PCs and this Bridge that connects two PCs, one with a shared printer to the network. The router is located on the second floor and the bridge on the first floor. This has been a very challenging WiFi environment due to neighbors and home construction - several walls etc.

The WES610N has been a solid performer while the WNCE4004 gets hot and needs rebooted and the TEW-680MB randomly drops connection once or twice a day.

While the WES610N wireless status page shows a link quality of 40%, it will also show a link speed of disconnected or 6.5Mbps while I am hitting speedtest.net at a rate of ~30Mbps down and ~5mbps up. Sometimes the wireless status page will update and show 130mbps.

The wireless survey shows both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs and allows me to connect via one or the other. I have forced it to both individually and changed output power and channels on the router to get best performance in my environment using speedtest.net. The router is currently set to channel 1 for 2.4GHz and channel 161 for 5GHz both set at 100mw on the router. Note router allows up to 200mw manual selection but that has made no difference. I have also tried orienting the WES510N differently but that makes no discernible difference.

So while the web based interface is lethargic and I have to say questionable in accuracy wrt link rates, the WES610N is rock solid requiring no reboots.

The WNCE4004 reports a better link rate when it works but it suffers from heat build up requiring a hard power reboot. Someday I may take it apart and add heat sinks and fans but for now, straight out of the box, the WES610N has been flawless.

The TEW-680MB just drops connection randomly, that is a problem too difficult to fix. It will remain as a backup when the WES610N fails.

The two PCs that the bridge serves have also been connected via usb wireless dongles. The usb dongles achieve much faster link rates and 70+% link quality. I just wanted a bridge to clean up the area and so I can add other Ethernet connected devices in the future. The USB dongles I have used include the High Power Signal King 48DBI USB Wireless Adaptor, the Sabrent NT-WGHU and External USB 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Adapter by sunvalleytek all purchased here on amazon.

In summary I highly recommend the WES610N but I believe it can be improved on either by providing link rates equivalent to usb dongles or in the web based interface.
on March 10, 2014
i wanted to connect my receiver in the basement to the network. i consider myself a well informed user. i m not a geek but a professional who has considerable technology in my house. I have a time machine connected to a Verizon Fios router. Most of my network is routed through time machine. I eventually got this to work by going in my time machine router setup but it took me some time to figure it out. Once connected , the connection was spotty at best. I even tried to connect it directly to the Verizon router with WPS connection which basically should be power up your Linksys bridge and press WPS button on home router n then press WPS button on the Bridge. It should just connect. Time machine doesnt have that button but one could go to the web interface and allow this bridge to connect. But it didnt work even when both router and bridge was in the same room.
The worse issue i found was lack of support or documentation with the device or on web. I expected a lot more from Linksys given it was part of a networking giant (Cisco). it may work for some users , it could be a fireware issue or incompatible router issue. I ended up returning it as i figured it might be best to stick with Apple products since i have time machine in the mix for my backup.
on April 30, 2014
I use this bridge for my TV PC. The WIFI on the PC was old and slow and this works much better. I use it to hook my security DVR to my network, too. The only downside is that the power source is a 2-piece set-up and one of the connectors fit loosely enough that sometimes it disconnects and the bridge loses power.

Update: The Linksys customer support group read my review and sent me an email asking for the serial number, my contact information, and a link to this review. They said, "Let's avoid any possible accidents." So I sent them back an email with the information they requested. I figured they would be sending me a new cord set. Nope. I got an email asking me how long I have had the bridge and where I purchased it. They wanted me to send them a copy of my receipt and a picture of the bridge with the cord plugged in. This really irritated me. I replied copying in there original email along with the chain of replies. I told them that I didn't want to keep going back and forth with them asking for more information. If they were going to replace the power cord -- fine. Else bug off. They emailed back that and said they were just trying to get all relevant information before they forwarded it to the relevant team for replacement. Next they called me on the phone. I missed the call so I called them back. The girl on the other end of the phone said she would have to connect me with a "Level 2" so that they could troubleshoot my unit. I told her it was just a power cord problem. She said that it might be having other problems and that I would have to troubleshoot it with a level 2. I told her I was thoroughly disgusted with their customer support and I was not going to waste my time going through troubleshooting protocols with them. I would just update my review with my experience with Linksys customer support. So here it is. And no, they never sent a replacement power cord set.
on April 12, 2014
It took more than a few tries to get this setup. WPS automatic setup is painfully slow and doesn't work every time. I tried manual setup using the GUI and even though it said "Connected" on both the router and the Bridge, it would not work. I had to use the WPS automatic setup to make it work. That requires a router that also has WPS automatic setup capability (which mine does). I had to reset this Bridge twice as I tried manual setup twice and it didn't work after WPS setup didn't take. Finally I tried WPS setup again and let it do it's thing. The WPS LED goes yellow when it gives up trying to connect so don't waste your time after that, just reset or try the WPS again. If it doesn't work, verify your settings on your router (make sure MAC address security is disabled if you were using that feature). If it still doesn't work, set the bridge to the default setting by pushing the reset button in the hole on the bottom with a pin. It finally worked on WPS setup for me. Manual setup seems to be impossible on this and not sure why as it shows it's connected but the ports don't work.

Anyway, it works well once connected via the automatic WPS setup. I don't get 300 Mbps but I do get 70 Mbps connecting to my router's 5GHz WIFI(Vs 2.4 GHz). The 10/100 Mbps ethernet connections on this bridge will only get to 100Mbps max so not sure why they claim it can do 300 Mbps in the same specs. In any case, I just wanted better than 20Mbps so this fits the bill. Using the AC wall network adaptors didn't work in my house so this was best way to go for me. Seems solid now that I got it to connect so I'm happy with it.

Also worth mentioning is that the router this is connecting to is an ASUS RT-AC66U; you might find better or worse results using a different router.
on June 8, 2015
Having so much interference from neighbors on 2.4Ghz freq made using the Roku an exercise in frustration. Using a WiFi scanner on my Android phone found that almost every channel of the 2.4Ghz freq had at least 3 competing signals which explained a lot as web browsing could easily recover but video required bandwidth that didn't exist. A quick scan of 5Ghz freq showed only 2 access points, so I made up my mind and turned on the 5Ghz band on my router. Sadly, it turned out that my Roku didn't support 5Ghz, only the newest model supported it (mine only did 2.4Ghz). In comes this little gem, purchased second hand for 1/3 the new price and arrived 2 days later (thank you Prime!). 20 mins later, I was setup with no problems and the Roku was streaming perfectly! I still have video problems every so often (like buffering in middle of watching, but it happens once or twice a month vs. on every movie/show every 15 mins)! On the plus side, my wired TV and xbox now share the multiple ports and can access the internet at much faster speed. The only downside I can think of is range as the router is on 3rd floor, so the 2nd floor TV works fine, but there's no signal on the 1st floor.
|0Comment|Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 5, 2014
This bridge does a poor job of doing the one thing it's supposed to do: bridge. The only time it actually functions is if I perform a WPS setup, and even then it will occasionally cease to function correctly. Oh sure, I can manually configure it such that it is connected to my router---the router sees it and anything connected to the router can ping it---but everything behind the bridge is inaccessible and cannot reach the rest of my network.

So big deal, right? At least WPS works, and even when that eventually fails, I can set it up through WPS again, yeah? Oh, how I wish it were that easy, but no. Instead, as soon as the bridge decides to cease functioning, it throws a tantrum worthy of any petulant child and will maintain its brick-like state until I hard reset it with a ballpoint pen. That only takes about a minute. But the fun doesn't end here, folks!

That's right! Now you get to play "The Settings Game." Any change to settings that you make will take on the order of 30-45 seconds to submit, and you'll delight in figuring out which settings will actually cause the router to cease functioning all over again, demanding a fresh hard reset. I strongly recommend against playing with any QoS settings if you value your sanity.

I swore off Linksys routers ages ago, but figured that a bridge is so much simpler… what could really go wrong? Learn from my mistake, friends. Avoid this product.
5 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on May 30, 2015
When these devices work they are OK but the speed is about half of what I get with a wired connection. My dissatisfaction is that I have been through 4 of these bridges in 3 years. Note that everything in my house is connected to one of several Tripp Lite surge suppressors. As others have said, they work for a while and then just die. My current unit only worked for 114 days and now it is dead. I can reset the device, connect it to the router, run the web-based setup or WPS and it looks like it is working. The web-based utility even says it is connected to the internet. But when I connect it to a computer or laptop and ping the device it is as if the bridge does not exist. I reset and reconfigured it over 30 times and it still will not work.

Note also that the Linksys web site states "If you want to configure the WES610N v1 without connecting it to the router, you can use 169.254.1.250 to access its web-based setup page directly. If you have a WES610N v2, its default IP address is 10.100.1.1". However, when I spoke to Linksys Support they told me you have to connect this device to a router to perform the setup.
on August 10, 2013
I bought this when I signed up for Netflix and my Linksys Powerline AV Wireless Network Extender (PLWK400) (actually discontinued PLWK200) seemed to cause my connection to drop info & freeze the video. It turns out that it's actually my Samsung UN46F8000 46-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ultra Slim Smart LED HDTV that has a networking problem. The TV's speed test varied from 25 Mb down to 150 kb (and it still does). This is a problem that I'll need to fix with Samsung (they still say it's not their TV causing it), but my computer speed tests show it consistently runs at 35-40 Mb speeds. When the TV works, it's great & it has allowed my Blu-Ray player & Amp to access online services without any connection issues.

The ONLY markdown I give it is that it didn't connect to my FIOS system in auto mode, so I had to manually set the DNS Server. I don't know if my security caused the issue, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt as many others had no issues with setup.