- Brand Name: Linksys
- Model Number: WRT160N-RM
- Connectivity Technology: wireless
Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Wireless-N Router
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- With Wireless-N, the farther away you are, the more speed advantage you get.
- It works great with standard Wireless-G and -B equipment, but when both ends of the wireless link are Wireless-N.
- The router can increase the throughput even more by using twice as much radio band, yielding speeds far faster than standard Wireless-G.
- To help protect your data and privacy, the Router can encode all wireless transmissions with industrial-strength 256-bit encryption.
- It can serve as your network's DHCP Server, has a powerful SPI firewall to protect your PCs against intruders and most known Internet attacks, and supports VPN pass-through.
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
I have never used open source firmware before, but I had read up about it before purchasing a router again. Even though the DD-WRT website listed this as not compatible, I purchased this anyway in hopes that eventually it would be released. DD-WRT for this router (version 3) wasn't supported until literally 2 weeks ago, and I was lucky enough to find a release of it on the DD-WRT support forums (easily found by doing a quick search on Google for "DD-WRT WRT160Nv3"). After downloading the mini pack and the standard pack (listed as WRT160Nv3 in the file name) I loaded the router access page (192.168.1.1) and did a web firmware update thru my FireFox browser, first starting with the mini pack, and once that is finished, then with the standard firmware for this router.
It was as easy as that, and took literally 4 minutes to upgrade it. Now, this router has been perfect.Read more ›
I'd filled out the Amazon return forms and was about to mail the router back when I read another review here that suggested installing DD-WRT. This installation erases the Linksys firmware and installs an open-source Linux-based replacement. With DD-WRT running on my router it is solid, stable, fast and fully featured. For less than $30 it is a fantastic purchase. But ONLY with DD-WRT installed on it.
I have updated the DD-WRT wiki pages to explain how to install on the v.3 router. It is easy enough for anyone with very basic computer skills to do this.
In fact, Amazon has a separate part number just for WRT160N refurbs (WRT160N-RM)- what does that tell you? There are a ton of these flying around, in fact my unit looked absolutely new out of box - it probably WAS new - but with the out of box systemic wireless signal dropping flaw, back it goes to Amazon for a second try at a refurb sale.
A few more details,
- the setup is easy and improved from my older wireless-G. Nice improvement in the ease of use area.
- Router starts up well, signal is strong and speed is outstanding to my XP laptop with odyssey client in the other room. All is well.
... 3 hours pass...
- signal on my home network starts going in and out on my laptop sitting 10 ft away from the router. The green bars go from excellent to very good to just good. Hmm.
- then, poof, all white bars on my laptop, no more signal. I go check the router. All seems fine the lights are all working. I connect the hard wire ethernet cable to the router, internet connectivity is fine.
- wait about 35 minutes the signal from the WRT160N comes back- great! I have wireless connectivity for 10 minutes, then white bars again. Reboot computer, no luck. Delete the home network connection and recreate. No luck.
Finally go check [...] for support notes on this signal in and out issue- WOW! literally hundreds of blogs and rants on the web about the WRT160N dropping connections.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Dilevered Under 1 MBs while I have high speed internet.
Returned right away and got my cash back smoothly :)
Works as well as any other router, and seems to flake out after a prolonged period of runtime just like almost any other router. Nothing special, but not a bad piece of equipment.Published 3 months ago by jm2
Pros: Good range, easy setup. Once I got the unit to work properly it works great.
Cons: New ones that come with the 2.02 V. Read more
Yet to see another product in the wireless router market to beat Cisco routers!
I have a two story home with old style wire mesh in walls,which was a concern,however this... Read more
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
See the Top Rated Wireless Routers in our Wireless Router Reviews.