Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 23, 2017
This pocket guide helped me get a job! Really! I needed a book to review Linux commands, so I purchased this to read on the plane. Sure, I've been a Unix / Linux Engineer for 20 years and have done coding, but wanted a quick refresh of commands. While flying to the job interview, I quickly read through this guide. (Well, I made it halfway through in 4 hours). The only 2 Linux questions asked on my interview were things I had forgotten over the years but quickly remembered when reading this book - how to use "chattr" and the obscure run-levels.

Great book to have for a quick review! More easily read than man pages, just as in-depth, and commands are grouped in a logical manner.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 13, 2017
This book won't teach you everything, I think it just scratches the surface of what linux can do.
But if you just need a quick cheat sheet or want to use linux more, buy it.
on March 19, 2014
I enjoy the writing style of this author. It's easy to read, and easy to understand.

As he states, the book is written in a way that is suitable for noobs, using the vernacular.

If you are a seasoned Linux user, this book will probably provide some good reference material.

One thing I wish the author hadn't done, and for which I give 1 fewer stars than the maximum is because he states that the reader can skip the beginning, but doesn't actually say what that delimiter is. I read it all because I assume someone may know things I don't, and perhaps I waste some time reading what I could have written but for lack of a desire to do so.

So, it's worth the price, in my opinion, and I do recommend it as long as you understand what you are getting.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 1, 2016
Great pocket reference! It's always in my bag with my MB Air)))
on May 15, 2017
Very helpful and love the small-ish size book.
on November 13, 2015
Exactly what I was looking for. Explains each and every command and variables. Great book to stuff in your back pack and refer to when needing to insert a command.
on September 1, 2016
It is an excelent guide, very precise and organized. Im thinking of buying another to always have it in my work. I found it very useful for the daily administration of my systems.
on August 9, 2017
Exactly what I needed in our server room, a handy lookup guide for those bothersome Unix / Linux command arguments.
on December 6, 2014
What more can be said. You wanna find a command, look it up and read about it and then play around however you see fit. Of course remember you can easily screw it up if you don't know what you're doing, but that's why you're getting this book.

Book has straight forward explanations of all commands it has it it with examples, as well as input parameters. Got this cause an old roommate of mine had it.
on May 16, 2017