Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Linux Sendmail Administration (Craig Hunt Linux Library)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on March 10, 2002
Until the O'Reilly "Bat Book" is updated and expanded, this book should become the standard sendmail reference book, for linux as well as other unicies...
The information is cleanly laid out, explored and described. The author presents not only broad knowledge/information, but in depth experience with the MTA and related technologies.
I found this book quite helpfull when stuck with the minutia of a sendmail.cf file, and the information in the beginning of the book in great for those new to sendmail and/or linux.
on July 20, 2002
This reference does a good job detailing a difficult topic "Sendmail". I liked the background information alot and the author clearly seperates items that are of general interest, specific interest and advanced interest. This book helped me convert a 300 user system from mmdf to sendmail in a weekend. The only recommendation for this book and other Sendmail books I have is a better chapter/explainations on how to stop spam, check your system for spam etc. I had to go online for better spam blocking tricks.
--Matt Lewis
on June 26, 2004
Having read another popular sendmail book, made me wonder if I should try again. Sendmail is large complex program and can be very daunting.
Craig Hunt's Linux Sendmail Administration turned out to be quite refreshing. I'm no longer satisfied with just setting up the basic sendmail configuration. His easy to understand, easy to follow style had me tinkering at each step along the way. I was looking for a simple how-to guide to get my home office sendmail up and running. Instead I got much more - a very thorough understanding of how and why sendmail works the way it does.
Craig has a knack for reducing complex concepts into easily understandable lessons. Doing so, the subject matter is covered in depth, not watered down. Even difficult tasks like the m4 macro processor and rewriting rules are introduced in a straight forward useful manner.
An excellent book, I can't wait for my next installment from the Craig Hunt Linux series!
on January 15, 2002
This book is excellent. It starts out with the concepts and architecture of email services and then goes step by step through the installation. Since the installation changed a bit after this book came out I recommend following the directions in the README file after downloading the sendmail tarball off of ftp.sendmail.org. The book then goes into all the gory details of sendmail. I have looked all over the net and have yet to find a begin to end sendmail guide- this is what you want
on April 17, 2005
I have been frantically searching for a sendmail book that would just get me through the fundamentals. Much of the internet material are hacks by admins professing to know something, but get you into more trouble. I checked out the bat book (O'Reilly) and get cross-eyed going through that tomb, which seems to be more of a reference than a practical guide.

This book finally hit the jackpot. It has excellent explanations. The explanations for basic SMTP, IMAP, POP are very short and sweet, and excellent to get everyone on the same page, before delving into sendmail. The sendmail section is great, and really explained how the get the basic system going and the problems with sendmail for initial setup. Before this book, I was confused by the whole directory structure and m4 system, and this book walked me through it. That alone made this book was so invaluable. Thank you.

This book is oriented strictly to Linux. I have to administrater Solaris, so Linux is not in my scope now, but given that Unices are similar that is not a problem.

I find that overall this book to be quite practical, and doesn't have needless explanations, just exactly what you need to get a feel and handle on sendmail.

I'm sure there are undoubtedly rants here from sendmail hackers that profess to be gurus, which I am sure will neg my review. This review is not for them, but rather for the normal folks that have a life and are eager to learn, but yet need to administer sendmail as well (especially where time to implement this stuff is critical).
on June 9, 2002
New to sendmail,I needed to set up an email gateway/relay for our network. This book seemed to be the best because it addresses later sendmail versions than the current batbook. The problem I have with sendmail in general is the mountain of information available without any good way to tie it all together. Deciding which information does or does not apply to my situation was the most difficult part. More examples of configurations would be helpful. With this book,other internet resources,trial and error, and enough time, you can eventually complete your project. Great book if you want to learn sendmail theory. Not so great if you want complete configuration examples or a quick "how to".
on September 29, 2014
Although it might seem as if this is inconsistent with the rating of 1 star, I really like this book. Read on for the explanation.

The content of this book is perfect for sysadmins getting into using and managing SendMail. The examples of using telnet to interact with SMTP and IMAP directly on remote servers have enabled me to identify and resolve many problems with SendMail. The book contains all of the information necessary to deal with installing and managing SendMail in small to large businesses. It has many hands-on examples and explains the configuration examples in enough detail that they make good sense.

This is my go-to book for SendMail. The real problem is that the Kindle version sucks big time. I have both hard-copy and Kindle versions of this book.

With the hard copy version, the index can be used to locate specifics of interest - as with any hard copy reference book.

On the other hand, the Kindle version of this book seems to be an image file that produced fuzzy, hard to read pages. My intent on purchasing the Kindle version was to have it with me at all times when I go on site to resolve customer issues where I am not allowed to login remotely. Silly me! There are no page numbers so the Index, which is based on the hard copy page numbers, is worthless since it does not contain links to the terms indexed. Search is not enabled so one cannot perform a simple search in order to find desired terms. So skimming through the Kindle book one page at a time is more trouble than it is worth.

While I recommend this book highly in its hard copy form, don't even bother to purchase the Kindle version.
on March 18, 2001
Based on the TOC, I've been anxiously awaiting this book (so I can figure out a bunch of sendmail problems I have). Well, it's even better than I anticipated! The initial chapters on concepts are clear; the discussion of the .cf is very useful & complete. In the real world env., I suspect this might even supplant the "bat" book! (agree? comments?)
on October 18, 2001
The first half of the book has many useful information for beginners while the second half goes into details useful for more experienced users. I especially like the tables through out the book that nicely organize and explain the various commands, variables, names, etc.
I don't know when the "bat" will be updated, but this book will is hard to beat. It's easy to read and understand. Best of all, it's very well organized.
on July 25, 2001
This book should be read by all unix administrator who touch sendmail recently as it covers all the basic configuration with a lot of examples to explain the sendmail items. You can read this and then the "bat" book so that you will be familiar "Sendmail" a lot.