Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted: A Psychological Thriller
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on May 29, 2012
I really liked this book, much more than I expected. I thought it quite compelling (more so than some of the other highly rated books I've read lately). I was also really surprised at the end, as it was unexpected. I thought the mystery of it all was quite good...kept me guessing, and frankly did not even come close, which is atypical for this voracious mystery book fan. I am hard to please, so it speaks highly for this book!
on June 6, 2012
The story flowed well, however the path of the plot was laid out so methodically by introducing the characters and interlaying them with the story to the point where all the pieces of the puzzle fell into place too quickly. The end of the book was the apex and created an intense need to finish the book, but when I finally read the last page, I felt a bit cheated. Everything I though I knew while reading the book turned out to be true, which made me want more - more being something that I didn't already figure out on my own.
Overall, the book was a fast read. Easy to follow on characters and plot, but predictable.
on December 13, 2012
I got this because of the hundreds of seemingly great reviews. Either the author has a lot of friends or those reviewers didn't actually read the book. While his writing style is decent, the lack of descriptions of the characters distracted me - especially when he described some characters but not others. It was confusing trying to determine the narrator's age and his age in comparison to other characters. Is CJ a posible love interest or a much younger or older woman? His mixed up descriptions of Texas didn't help either - describes it as a desert but mentions large hills and weather coming off the coast? The sad thing is that all of this could have been corrected by a few descriptive sentences, so this just feels like lazy writing to me. The only reason for these omissions - a possible plot twist - was pretty obvious so there were no surprises there. Don't waste your time on this one.
on January 22, 2013
SORRY TO SAY I HAD THE ENDING FIGURED OUT A FEW CHAPTERS INTO THE BOOK. I'm usually not that smart. It just seemed obvious. Nothing about the characters grabbed me either. I read it like I'd eat a bag of popcorn. No nutritional value, just something to snack on.
on August 7, 2015
Once in a very great while, a new (to me, at least) author comes along who makes me green with envy. It happened with Liane Moriarty, and it's just happened again. Twice in a year is something of a record. First of all, I loved Kaufman's young hero. Patrick is so damaged, so unique, and so brave in the face of the kind of adversity most of us can't even imagine, that he instantly found a place in my heart. With today's tragic dearth of sympathetic heroes, it was a delight to find one I could instantly empathize with and root for. Add to that the fact that this was a real, honest-to-God mystery, with a breath-taking run to the finish, and I'm totally hooked. And finally, after more years than I care to recount of reading really excellent mysteries and following the clues they provide, usually with a fair degree of success, I am not easily confounded or caught by surprise, but this one did the trick. Excellent work, with fine character development, truly gruesome villains, and a finely-detailed study of the damages life can inflict, along with profound lessons on how to overcome them.
on October 6, 2014
I expected more. Its a pysho thriller because the main character is psychologically unstable. He's the good guy. The story was somewhat confusing and the characters were thin. For example we don't even know whether his reporter assistant was young, old, black, white, pretty or what. For that matter we don't really have a good read on the main character. Just an average read.
on June 22, 2013
This story had some great twists to the plot! While I figured out one of them early on in the book I still kept reading. This story is well written and kept me interested in what would happen next. Learning about Patrick's childhood made my sympathetic for him but also made me care about him. As a mother I expected the loss of Nathan Kingsley would affect me the most but surprisingly I found myself more wrapped up in Patrick's fate as he investigated this cold case. Overall I found it to be a really good Mystery/Thriller story. I will be reading more from this author!
on April 9, 2013
There is a lot to like about this story: character development, the way Kaufman interspersed past and present, the plot, the overriding theme of a mother's love... they all combine to make a very readable book.

So, the drawbacks: for an ace reporter, he doesn't latch on to the main "plot twist" until the bad guy tells him, even though it's staring him in the face the whole time. Also, the guy is a bit of a wimp and one would have thought that, once things had gotten to the point of excessive danger, he could have gone to law enforcement, or his CIA friend, Sully.
I recently read Darkness & Shadows (A Patrick Bannister Psychological Thriller, Book 2) and enjoyed it. At the time Amazon didn't have it labeled as Book 2 in a series and I actually had no idea it wasn't a stand alone novel. When this book came up as a Kindle daily deal I jumped on it. Holy cow do I wish I hadn't. The main character, Bannister, is totally inconsistent between the two books. Having him obsessed with writing words in a notebook in both books in times of stress seems to be his whole personality, and it isn't enough. In Darkness and Shadows Bannister is dealing with the long ago death of his college sweetheart, which was presented as a MAJOR event in his life. He's been constantly thinking of this defining event in that book, but apparently the author just thought that up for the second book because she is never mentioned in the first book. The childhood abuse by Bannister's mother starts out disturbing but goes way over the top. She's like a pampered high school kid's idea about what a bad, bad mommy would be like. The severity of Bannister's Von Willebrand disease was inconsistent, and the things that did and did not cause him injury were totally unrealistic and changed to suit the plot. There are no reasons for ANYTHING that happens. Why is everyone in the town where the little boy was kidnapped against having the case investigated? Why do Bannister and CJ insist on spending the final third of the book together, risking their lives and talking as if they've known each other for ages, when they've actually just met and barely talked?

I would personally suggest that if you're interested in reading one of Kaufman's books you skip this one and go straight to Darkness and Shadows. I still think that one was pretty good.
on June 3, 2012
This is excellent reading material. I enjoyed it tremendously...couldn't put it down until I had completed the novel. A story has to be written well enough to hold my interest or I won't even continue reading. This book had me glued to the pages. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys being keep on the edge of their seat. Superb writing!!