CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Lionel New York Central Flyer Train Set - O-Gauge
|Price:||$307.99 + $48.27 shipping|
- Rail Sounds RTR sound system with steam chuffing, whistle, bell, and user activated crew dialog scenarios and operating headlight
- Transformer controlled forward, neutral, and reverse operation
- Puffing smoke unit and silver metal rims on wheels
- Powerful maintenance free motor and die cast metal locomotive body and frame
- Die cast operating coupler on front of locomotive and operating coupler on rear of tender
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Other nice features:
- Rail Sounds: The sounds are very clear and great. I didn't want to get a set with sounds at first, but then I didn't want my kids to nag why the bell button is not working. You can adjust the volume or turn it off completely. Now I always turn on the bell when the train is moving.
- CW-80 transformer: Good to have if more tracks are added (which I did). It has a pair of extra terminals to power your future add-ons.
- Lighted Caboose.
- Uncoupling section with control button: You can use this to launch the included plastic helicopter. This can draw power from the tracks. The manual shows how to hook up the wires but it's confusing. Basically, you just connect the black wire to the negative terminal, and the white wire to an adjacent track's positive terminal which should be under the middle rail.
The smoke unit didn't actually work at first for me, so the Loco-Boose repair shop sold me some Marklin smoke oil which works nicely. Still I only see smokes only when I crank the power all the way up which is a bit of a let down since I want to see smokes at a much lower speed. Oh well. Another thing is the train is very noisy when moving on the fastracks.
In short, my kids enjoy it and I'm very happy with the set.
While not the gold standard of days gone by, the current crop of Lionel trains can be a decent entry into the world of model trains. Maybe someday the manufacturing will come back home to the USA.
The reason I gave it 3 stars is because the engine binds as it moves. It is noticeable on curves and is very noticeable when running it slow. The engine will move a few inches, then slow, move a few inches, then slow. If you run it real slow the engine will stop.
As I said I've repaired many a Lionel train so I troubleshot why it was doing this. The problem is the same problem that many Lionel's had in the past. The front wheels have a cam, that move a lever, that raises and lowers a piston in the smoke unit. That's what gives you the puffs of smoke. On this engine, the piston was bottoming-out in the smoke unit. The lever was trying to push the piston up further, but it couldn't, so the cam had resistance on it and the engine slowed down everytime the cam rolled around to the "up" position. I opened the engine up, re-bent the smoke lever so the piston didn't bottom-out, and the engine rolls fine. The problem is, most people won't want to do this.
Other than that issue, and now that I've fixed it, I am very happy with the set.Read more ›
This is very disheartening. I am having a hard time putting my dissapointment into words. At least my 35 year old Wabash Cannonball still works like new.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
My grandkids and I have had so much fun with this train set. It is being a little kid all over again.Published 23 months ago by k.leggett
Great train set. I did a comparison of this train set with others and decided to purchase the Lionel New York Central. Read morePublished on February 27, 2014 by Ed Terczak
interesting set of freight cars, pretty much everything you need right out of the box. I added a grade crossing and signal because I have a train obsessed 4 year old. Read morePublished on February 7, 2014 by joe
The train was absolutely beautiful. I bought it for my 2 1/2 year old son for Christmas and it worked for about two days. My son absolutely loved it, so I decided to exchange it. Read morePublished on January 13, 2014 by Marfelia Aguirre
My husband and I have searched many stores and cannot find a better price for this train set. Great starter set, but really consider purchasing the recommended additional track. Read morePublished on January 6, 2014 by Patty12657