Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
on December 17, 2011
We purchased this set from the amazon lighting deal. A couple bucks off what I see it listed at now, but not a "Slammin" deal lower. I looked at the other sets, and obviously this manufacturer is the real deal, so I knew I was buying quality.

It arrived in perfect condition, and the kids (7,5,2) LOVE it! They were so excited to open it and get it set up right away.

Pros:
- Comes with batteries!
- Comes with enough tracks to get around our big Christmas Tree (Holiday tree for those who might be offended j)
- Remote that has the whistle and bells are pretty cool
- Easy to set up (within 10 minutes)

One con that keep it from a 5 star in my mind:

- The connectors that keep the cars together have a hard time staying coupled, especially the first and second cars. It could be that I don't know what I'm doing, but seems simple enough that it should stay on. I am just going around in a circle.

****To add to this set, it seems that the prices are crazy high. If someone is looking for a starter and wants to add in the future, make sure that you check out what you'd want over time.

Over all...seems like the best set for the best price. Looking at the chocolate cars reminds me of how much I love candy bars!

Hope this helps. It's my first review ever online.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2014
Bought this during the Black Friday sale, kept it for some months b4 opening it up for my daughter as her birthday present.
Like others mentioned, set is defective straight out of the box.
Seemed like I am not the only customer who encounter DOA (dead on arrival)
The train does not respond to the remote controller.
It does not move forward or reverse, neither does the sound works.

I check the status of the fire red LED. It kept flickering.
A check on the manual indicates that this could mean either the engine or the remote controller is faulty.

I am extremely disappointed.
The set is made in China, no wonder the QC is bad

Paid good $$$ for this piece of junk to be shipped over to Singapore
Oversea buyers be wary.
You should really give this a miss.

Return and repair is too much of a hassle.
Now I don't know what to do with this.
on December 16, 2013
After reading all the reviews, I was hesitant to buy the Hershey set. However, it was a lighting deal and I really wanted a train for my boys that went around the Christmas tree. I received he product and immediately set everything up. It was easy to use, although the c batteries supplied where already dead. Once I put my own batteries in, we where off. The controls are very easy to use.My three and four year old picked it up right away. Now everyone complained about the way the trains couple and how easy they came apart. The only one I had minor problems with was between the engine and the coal train, and only because the front train wasn't perfectly on the track. Ask I did was put a tie wrap on the coupled trains and they never came apart again. The look on my children's faces was priceless and we play with the trains every day!
on March 2, 2014
The train itself is of average quality, and is what you would expect for the price. The frustrating part is that we used the batteries that came with the set, and after 30 minutes of trying to figure out why it would only make sounds and not come on, we finally tried using a different set of batteries and that was the problem. Our son was happy with the set once it was running.
on November 25, 2012
I bought this product a year ago for Christmas for my (now) 4 year old son. We opened it up in 2011 after Christmas and played with it a few times, and stored it back in the box. Well, yesterday we were getting the train set out to circle around the Christmas tree, and I'll be blown away that the train would not start. The sounds would work fine, but when it came to actually moving around the track, it just shut off. I thought the batteries were the problem, so I got brand new batteries for both the tender (where the batteries are stored) and the remote. Once that didn't solve the problem, I did some troubleshooting via the owners manual (another useless item in this set). After checking the warranty information, it will not be covered due to it being over 1year since date of purchase. I opened up the bottom of the locomotive to check the gears. All the gears are moving fine, it's just the motor that turns the worm gear is COMPLETELY SEIZED up and therefore shuts the train down!!! I paid around $80 for the set, and now I'm finding that a new set will cost over $100 for the same thing!

Another very frustrating thing with this set is the couplers to the different cars... everywhere I read it would say for your 'standard' G-Gauge set, just back the train up and the cars should couple together. Not with this one! You have to physically pick up each car and couple them together, then realign their wheels back on the track.

Speaking of the track, it is a bit difficult to snap together, and it is a bit chinsy, with no metal on it at all... just the finest CHINESE plastic.

If I had to say anything positive about the set, it would be that it worked fine when it did work. The remote is very user-friendly for kids, and it makes the sounds of the whistle and the bells.

Bottom line: If you want a train set for your kids to play with or to go around the tree, save the money and buy something with more quality than these G-Gauge train sets from Lionel... they USE TO have a name for reputation, but now with their trains being cheaply made in China, I would buy from someone else!
on March 7, 2014
I was expecting more from Lionel as we are a fan, however when the item arrived it was damaged. I do not like to return thing though, we could not figure out the problem. It was my sons birthday and we put it together patiently waiting for it to start and it never did, if a parent is reading this I do not have to say how terribly disappointed my son was.

with this said I do recommend Lionel but from the Lionel site only..
on November 16, 2012
We bought this for my son's 5th bday. Pretty cool at first, but quit working after 6 months. We also soon realized that it was too difficult for my son to work by himself. The track is too difficult for him to put together and the train cars are hard to connect and hard to set on the track. It has been a big frustration for him and us.
on April 3, 2013
I love the look of the train, the ease of the track, but getting the train cars to stay connected and getting the wheels lined up on the track, FUGGEDABOUTIT...it is a super pain. it would be an amazing gift, if it werent for those two things. We bought six because we had a tradition of setting up our polar express, and figured these woudl be nice for our married and in serious relationship siblings. THey were a hit, but all complained of the same things.
on December 27, 2013
My son was so excited to get this train from santa. That was untill the train was put together and would not even start. We tried several sets of batteries and nothing worked. He could not understand why santa would give him a broken train. Also I had purchased the gift wrapping. Huge mistake the gift wrap had been done very sloppy and was ripped everywhere.
on February 24, 2014
It looks great but the engine does not work. We ordered it for our son for Christmas. He was thrilled. We put it together and the engine simply didn't run. We replaced the entire set two more times and had the same problem. It's a shame. Cute product. Well constructed but clearly useless and full of flaws.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.