Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer Freight Train Set - O-Gauge
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- 0-8-0 locomotive and tender, boxcar, 3-dome tank car, caboose, eight curved FasTrack sections, three straight FasTrack sections, one FasTrack terminal section, PowerMax transformer, smoke fluid, billboard with two images, ten telephone poles
- Transformer controlled forward, neutral and reverse operation
- Realistic air whistle in tender, puffing smoke unit and operating headlight
- Powerful maintenance-free motor and traction tires
- Die-cast metal locomotive body with metal trucks
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers who bought this item also bought
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Item Dimensions||8.03 x 22 x 19.8 in||19.75 x 22 x 8.1 in||17.4 x 18.4 x 9.2 in||17.31 x 18.29 x 7.87 in||17.31 x 18.29 x 7.87 in||17.38 x 18.38 x 9.25 in|
|Item Weight||2.2 lbs||7.34 lbs||17.4 lbs||9.5 lbs||11 lbs||16.69 lbs|
|Scale||O||O||O||O Gauge||O Gauge||O Gauge|
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
6-30174 Features: -Transformer controlled forward, neutral, and reverse operation.-Realistic air whistle in tender.-Operating coupler on rear of tender.-Powerful maintenance-free motor.-Die-cast metal locomotive body.-Engineer and fireman figures.-Operating headlight.-Puffing smoke unit.-Traction tires.-Operating couplers.-Opening doors on boxcar.-Metal rails and ladder on tank car.-Material: Plastic and metal.-Gauge: Traditional O gauge.-Rail line: Pennsylvania.-Minimum curve: O-27.-Power source: Electrical. Color/Finish: -Color: Multi. Assembly Instructions: -Assembly required. Dimensions: -Length: 45.75''.-Layout dimensions: 40'' x 60''. Warranty: -1 year warranty.
From the Manufacturer
With smoke pouring from the stack, the powerful 0-8-0 locomotive steams ahead to the big port cities of the eastern seaboard with boxcar, tank car and caboose in tow. Including transformer and huge oval of FasTrack track, you have just what you need to start running trains. Also including an industrial diorama, telephone poles and special billboard, you�re all set to begin building your own Pennsylvania Railroad empire. 0-8-0 locomotive and tender, boxcar, 3-dome tank car, caboose, eight curved FasTrack sections, three straight FasTrack sections, one FasTrack terminal section, PowerMax Transformer, smoke fluid, billboard with two images, ten telephone poles. Transformer controlled forward, neutral and reverse operation. Realistic air whistle in tender, puffing smoke unit and operating headlight. Powerful maintenance-free motor and traction tires. Die-cast metal locomotive body with metal trucks.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Update Dec 8, 2012:
Brought this set out of the attic and setup under my Christmas tree for this year. NO glitches, NO hassles, and this time, the whistle worked... I really like this set! I mean, my toddlers really love the set. Ordered more tracks, again. This time because this train is going around a 12' Christmas tree...
1. The locomotive is solidly built and heavy. It feels like it is well-made. It also runs smoothly and the headlight is bright.
2. The FasTrack system is really nice. I'm sure some Lionel groupies hate the system for its excessive use of plastic, but...it's easy to snap together, it stays together, and it makes it very easy to setup a track quickly.
3. The caboose is pretty nice. It has a nice bright light and it doesn't feel cheap.
1. The whistle did not work at all. At first, I couldn't hear anything over the noise of the train going around the track (see #2 below), but then I took the engine off and just heard a slight electrical hum when I pressed and held the whistle button on the controller. The whistle is in the tender car, and the one I got is defective. Rather than deal with the hassle of returning the whole set, I took the tender apart and found the problem - poor design and poor assembly. There is a small motor that spins a 4-blade encapsulated fan that then throws air out of a small slot and makes the characteristic train whistle sound. In my case, the motor couldn't spin because the fan was attached too far down the motor shaft, so it was rubbing the square plastic piece that separated the motor from the fan. I tried to pull off the fan, but it was on there nice and tight. I noticed that that square plastic piece was actually slightly bent - there are two screws and nuts that hold it tight against the whistle chamber, and one of the screws, when tightened down, bows the plastic a bit making the rubbing against the fan blade that much worse. The other screen doesn't have that problem as it applies pressure to another plastic surface. So, I re-assembled it and just didn't tighten that first screw all the way. It had enough pressure to keep the nut from spinning. After putting it all back together, I can still hear the fan rubbing the plastic for the first few seconds as it spins up, but then the noise stops and the whistle sound emerges.
1b. The whistle is really quiet (don't know if it's because mine was "fixed" or if that's another issue with this flawed design).
2. The train and cars are really loud. I haven't isolated which ones make the most noise, but it is a lot louder than I expected.
3. This is a small thing, but the box and listing clearly says "2-sided Billboard", but the billboard included is only 1-sided. The other side is blank. This doesn't matter to me, but I'm not sure why they had to change that.
4. The cord from the track to the controller is really short - maybe about 2 feet. I guess I was expecting it to be about 6 feet long.
Also, as others have noted, the box car in this set is black and not green as the listing shows.
My brother and I played with our Lionel train sets a lot when we were kids. My set is from the early 80's and I have held on to it and take it out now and then to play with my kids. I wish it were easier and safer to put together so my kids could be more involved. The track has become more difficult to set up and keep the train running with the touchy connections.
Enter the new train set.
The new track design Lionel has come out with makes it easier to set up, so my son can create on his own without my help and the connections are solid. Once its set up you don't have to mess with poorly connected track. I still like to build with my son, but its not a requirement like my old set. And he can keep playing if I have to leave the room.
And even though they changed track design my old engine can run on the new track.
I also really like the box it comes in for storage. The old models came in a very long box which made it more difficult to store but the new box is square and has a great handle to make it easy to transport.
Lionel continues to impress with the designs of their trains which add to the experience for kids and adults alike.
Overall we are very satisfied and look forward to adding to our Lionel collection. My 7 year old son is asking when he can get his.