CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer Freight Train Set - O-Gauge
- 0-8-0 locomotive and tender, boxcar, 3-dome tank car, caboose, eight curved FasTrack sections, three straight FasTrack sections, one FasTrack terminal section, PowerMax transformer, smoke fluid, billboard with two images, ten telephone poles
- Transformer controlled forward, neutral and reverse operation
- Realistic air whistle in tender, puffing smoke unit and operating headlight
- Powerful maintenance-free motor and traction tires
- Die-cast metal locomotive body with metal trucks
There is a newer version of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Some of the differences are notable:
The Engine is very nice, similar to our Santa Fe engine - all metal, heavy in the hands - feels very solid (which is why you get an O-gauge set in the first place in my opinion - This is probably the first electric toy a kid will get that (if properly cared for) will last long enough to be passed down to their kids - Wheel configuration is 0-8-0, meaning no front or back guide wheels, just 8 powered wheels in the center. As a plus it has someone driving the train inside! and another odd-plus is a working-coupler in the front (you kids who watched "Thomas The Tank Engine" on TV will know what to do with this part!)
The Coal-Car has the same whistle mechanism as our much louder Santa-Fe, and it sounds when you hit the whistle button on the controller and, yes it does whistle, but at a low, kind of far-away tone.
There is a 3-dome tanker car - again, nice feel to it - looks really great with authentic looking markings and steel wire wrap-around -seems very solid.
A very nice Box car - w/ sliding doors -compares favorably with our circa 1997 boxcar, feels a bit more solid even.
Caboose - More solid than our older caboose, with a better light/connecting wheel beneath - stays lit with a steady light as it goes around the track.
The Track: FasTrack is almost a revelation for people who were used to the older 0-27 and 0-36 all metal track. Note: It does take some considerable force to connect it, so your kids might need some help with this part. On the plus side it works great on floors and carpets and it looks authentic with a gravel track-bed.Read more ›
Update Dec 8, 2012:
Brought this set out of the attic and setup under my Christmas tree for this year. NO glitches, NO hassles, and this time, the whistle worked... I really like this set! I mean, my toddlers really love the set. Ordered more tracks, again. This time because this train is going around a 12' Christmas tree...
1. The locomotive is solidly built and heavy. It feels like it is well-made. It also runs smoothly and the headlight is bright.
2. The FasTrack system is really nice. I'm sure some Lionel groupies hate the system for its excessive use of plastic, but...it's easy to snap together, it stays together, and it makes it very easy to setup a track quickly.
3. The caboose is pretty nice. It has a nice bright light and it doesn't feel cheap.
1. The whistle did not work at all. At first, I couldn't hear anything over the noise of the train going around the track (see #2 below), but then I took the engine off and just heard a slight electrical hum when I pressed and held the whistle button on the controller. The whistle is in the tender car, and the one I got is defective. Rather than deal with the hassle of returning the whole set, I took the tender apart and found the problem - poor design and poor assembly. There is a small motor that spins a 4-blade encapsulated fan that then throws air out of a small slot and makes the characteristic train whistle sound. In my case, the motor couldn't spin because the fan was attached too far down the motor shaft, so it was rubbing the square plastic piece that separated the motor from the fan. I tried to pull off the fan, but it was on there nice and tight.Read more ›
Also, though the price was reasonable ($159).Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer Freight Train Set
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought this train for our son and we only put it out at Christmas. Our son loves it. It has two way direction, whistle and the front of the train lights up as well as the caboose. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Jennifer Grice
Everyone said modern kids wouldn't like a train set like I did when I was young. My eight year old grandson loved it. Especially the whistle and the smoke. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Leonard Demuro
Excellent. Bought this for my grandson and he loves it.Published 14 months ago by Robert A. Fowler Jr.
This excellent Lionel brings back happy memories of my first electric train as a child.Published 16 months ago by Betty
Purchased as Xmas gift, recipient loved it. Quality set. Highly recommend.Published 17 months ago by Rosemarie
For my (then) 4 year old grand son for Christmas last year. This boy lives for trains. He knows more about them than most adult train enthusiasts do!! Read morePublished 17 months ago by Karen