Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 341 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 356 reviews
on October 6, 2015
Package states that the caboose is illuminated, it is not though. Other than that annoyance it is a good train.
review image
on November 17, 2013
This is the first O gauge train we've bought and it has been a fun experience. The remote works very well and the sounds with this set add to the fun you have while playing with it. I'm not sure how well this would work with older models since the remote changes speed in the train and the track has a set voltage etc.

The engine is quite heavy but still a plastic shell. All pieces look like they are well built and will last a long time. Keep the ribbons with the engine to help with storing it and keep the smaller box for the track or it will be almost impossible to get it all back in the big box.

When in the square shape, the track looks to be the perfect size for around a tree. For other fun you would really need more track.
55 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2016
I agree this is loud, but it's a train, they're loud, and it doesn't bother me or my kids. I was surprised at how large this train is, I know nothing about model trains and wanted something larger than the HO train we had under our tree since it constantly was falling over and my cats running over its small pieces finally broke it. This is considerably heavier and larger than my HO train (see pic, HO is in front/O in back-both on their track), so if space is really limited stick with the HO train.

This does light up on the front engine and smoke. Those who say it doesn't probably need to add the liquid smoke fluid and/or make sure they turned on the switch that makes it smoke that is located under the engine car. This is one of those products you need to read the instructions for! My kids tried to not read them and set it up and failed, but after I spent 3 min reading them I got the train set up in under 10 min. The track was a bit stiff connecting the pieces but if I couldn't make one work I tried another and that usually did the trick. Unlike others I had no audio issues. I do wish it came with one accessory building, and clearer instructions about what is needed to add lighted accessories, because I'm confused about what I even need to order when I add them, but I will just call or go by a train model store when I'm out near one and ask.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase and so are my kids. Even better 3 days after set up my 2 cats (one is a 15 lbs Ragdoll) still haven't knocked it down despite running over it multiple times.
review image
on December 3, 2016
My goal was to get something to set up with my Christmas village, on a platform under the Christmas tree. I did my research on this one to choose a size that would "fit" best with the village scale; watched youtube videos, read all the reviews. My only reason for not giving it five stars is that (for me), the SOUND of the train on the tracks is somewhat loud. And really, that is not the fault of the set...it is just my own personal feedback. I made the mistake of putting fluffy fake snow on the base of the whole plywood for the set up, and then had to pull a lot of it out from under the tracks because it just sat up too high, then sunk down when the weight of the train would pass over it. AND...I found out the hard way to TOTALLY clear the fake snow from around the edges and turns, because it jammed up the wheels and had to be (painstakingly) cut/pulled out.
Pluses: headlight, smoke from chimney stack, able to turn "chuffing" sound on or off, able to turn smoke on or off, forward and reverse settings, extra sound effects (would have been nice to have ones that automatically set off every 30 seconds or so that could be turned on or off, otherwise you control them with the remote).
This is a great set for even someone starting out if you have the extra money to spend. The quality of it is top notch. I already bought some extra track to make it bigger and fill the space...and can see myself buying more accessories in the the future. Not so sure I will only use this at Christmas, because...let's be honest...you are never too "old" to be a boy who loves to run a train set.
on November 5, 2015
I hesitated to buy this train because of the negative comments about the sound not working properly and the tracks hard to fit together. On my train, everything works! It chugs, it whistles, the engineer and dispatcher have conversations, the light shines brightly on the track in front of it. Not one negative thing to say. It's great and I feel like I'm ten years old again. My husband and I ran it around that track the entire evening. What fun!
on February 11, 2016
Got this for $140 at Christmas. It is a great product at that price. The engine has great detail and the cars are high quality. The remote works great and the sound effects are clear and realistic sounding. The headlight is bright. My 3 year old has no problems putting train and cars on the track. This is better quality than what Lionel was selling just 10 years ago. I don't use the steem. There is a switch on bottom to turn steem off so you don't burn it out when there is no oil in it.
on December 14, 2013
There is a ton to like about this train set from the substantial die-cast locomotive model to the remote control system, unfortunately poor execution of the audio electronics is a major negative in this set.

A couple quick observations that have not been mentioned previously - the body of the locomotive is die cast metal, not plastic, as other reviewers have stated. The paint color of the locomotive is a matte gunmetal gray-green which is subtle, not the bright forest green finish implied by the promo pictures. The caboose is no longer illuminated as it was in the 2012 version, the cars are otherwise identical with new paint schemes.

As far as basic operation, the brilliant thing about this set is that even at maximum speed around corners in either direction I could not get the train to derail, nor could my 2, 5 or 6 year old children. I seem to remember frequently derailing my father's O-gauge train sets running on traditional AC transformer controls back in the day so this is probably less likely to prone to damage as a result.

The issue with the tender car & Railsounds RC audio system occur on many levels.

First, the physical connector between the locomotive and tender that carries both power and signals from the Lionchief electronics in the locomotive are integrated into the coupler that is subject to constant mechanical stress and shifting. The wires on the locomotive end are very short and soldered to a small circuit board on a connector that swings around on the coupler arm as the train turns corners. When going around a curve (which on a beginner set oval is a LOT). When the locomotive goes around a corner the wires pull against the solder joint and, in the case of my locomotive, led to a break at the solder joint after about 2 hours of operation. There simply isn't enough slack in the connector and I expect more of these will fail after a few hours of operation. This isn't specific to this model, it's also a complaint that's shown up in the 2013 Polar Express set which shares a common locomotive-tender wiring connection.

While they worked, the audio effects themselves sucked. There are 5 audio effects included; two automatic and three user controlled. The two "automatic" effects are a "standing still" clanging/steaming effect (always on when the track has power and the train is still), and an "in motion" chuff sound that simulates the way a steam locomotive sounds in motion. There are also 3 user initiated effects via buttons on the remote, a bell (terrible fast clanging sound), whistle (only slightly less terrible than the bell, decidedly non steam locomotive sounding) and a completely strange bit of radio dialogue chatter that was lifted off of their modern diesel engine models but is totally out of place in an 1800's steam locomotive. Clearly money was saved by recycling audio samples from other sets rather than developing a decent sounding whistle or sensible dialogue for a steam engine ("All Aboard!" would have been fine on the middle button...). It would be ideal if you could also disable the standing-still sounds (or if they shut themselves off after 60 seconds) because short of powering off the track you cannot silence the train when it's not moving and the track has power, a frequent complaint from the earlier Thomas the Train remote control O-gauge sets with the same audio effect functions.

Regardless of your opinion of how the samples sound, the bigger issue is that the audio system electronics in the loco picking up horrible noise interference from the motor (probably due to the combination of a plastic motor housing and long runs of unshielded wire between the loco/tender through the previously mentioned coupler). When it works there is so much interference that the audio system is pointless anyway... not only does the noise of the train drown it out but at slow speed you hear mostly electronic buzz mixed in with the bad samples they chose to use.

Everything else about the train set is actually really nice and makes it great for a beginner, the complete failure from poor solder joints to noisy electronics playing poor samples in the Railsounds RC system is an unfortunate flaw specific to the Lionel 2013 LionChief steam locomotives with tenders (the Thomas/Percy and diesel locos like the Santa Fe Scout do not have the same issues). If the sound effects are not a huge deal it's an otherwise great starter set.
1010 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2014
The set is awesome buuutttt Sound stopped working on the second day of use. It appears that one of the wires broke off on the Engine/Locomotive drawbar. It also looks like the wire was squeezed by locomotive frame when it was assembled which led to the stress on wire and eventual failure. So the conclusion would be a bad quality control. Now since Amazon is not authorized dealer I am not sure if I will get the warranty work by Lionel. Bummer to spend pretty good buck on something when it breaks on the second day and now I have no functional sounds. I am looking Forward to hear from Amazon reps what should I do!!!
on December 16, 2014
Nice train set. Comes with small amount of track and the track is expensive when you want to expand on the small oval it comes with in the box. Runs about 50 cents an inch. When you buy more track. The remote control is nice.
CAUTION: The first set Amazon sent me was apparently a previous returned item. The train did not work right out of the box. Amazon replaced it right away but my son would have been seriously disappointed on Christmas if I hadn't decided to try it out first. If the train you offered didn't come with a factory sealed train inside box it maybe a returned item. I would make sure it works before giving it as a present.
on December 22, 2015
Like others, it stopped working properly the first day out of the box. The connector on the locomotive was spotty so sounds sometimes didn't work properly. It would stop, but then not go unless you gave it a nudge (moved it to make better contact).

It's too bad because the attention to detail on the locomotive, cars, caboose is great, but functionality leaves much to be desired.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.