Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 31 reviews
on December 10, 2013
I like the looks of it but I don't like the fact that out of the box the transformer didn't work. The train set arrived yesterday and I set it up last night. To my surprise it did not work. I called Lionel and was told to take the transformer to a local Lionel dealer to confirm the transformer wasn't working. Well it's not. Amazon has offered to send me a new one overnight which I appreciate. I can only hope the next one works. After speaking with the local Lionel dealer I was told the transformer number CW80 stands for (Can't Work) 80. Evidently they have had more trouble than not with this system.
on December 9, 2014
Even though this was not prime, I received my order in 3 days. I was very excited to receive my order and carefully assemble my set as per instructions. Assembly was pretty much self explanatory. Unfortunately, when I called my husband to "do the honors" of turning it on the first time and my 2 kids eagerly waiting, it didn't work. There were sparks coming from the tender car. Locomotive was working fine on its own. Also i noticed that my smoke fluid was missing. We were so disappointed.

I called Lionel directly to find out if I was doing anything incorrectly and was told that there shouldn't be any sparks at all. The Lioner customer service was very helpful and was kind enough to offer to repair the problem which means I would have to send both the locomotive and tender. That was not acceptable since we will be traveling. Besides it's a brand new train and I am already sending it for repair.

I called amazon to find out my other options. As usual, amazon customer service was very helpful and forwarded my issue to the seller, Trainz. Trainz was so quick and helpful as well and sent me a brand new set and received it within 2 days even before i had the chance to send the defective one. We were so pleased and the new set worked like how it should. I would definitely order from Trainz again as they sound like they know trains and their great customer service.

As far as this set goes, it's perfect!! The locomotive and the rest of the cars - even the tracks have weight to them - all have great quality and workmanship. This was a perfect addition to our Christmas tradition. Perfect size to go under the Christmas tree. Our kids LOVE the whistle and smoke!! FYI, this set comes with the smoke fluid.
on December 21, 2013
There are two Polar Express train versions. One is the "Freight" train version and the other is the "Passenger". What I didn't realize when I purchased the Freight version (Last December 12-3-12) was that this engine is not the same as the "Passenger" version. The Passenger version has the Berkshire Engine which has a much better track record (according to our local train expert here in Northern VA.)

Due to our extenuating circumstances we were only able to set up and run the train for a month during last holiday season. We carefully packaged and packed it away. We unpacked it this week. The engine took about 4 spins around the track and died. We did as much trouble shooting as we could and took it to a local Lionel repair station - then to another expert - a more advanced Lionel Repair station. Our transformer is fine - tracks are good but the engine is defective. The suspected culprit is a defective circuit board. I've since read (including here) that there may be a problem with these "Freight" engines. So my recommendation is not to buy this set. The Polar Express Passenger set may be a viable alternative - as it comes with the Berkshire Engine.

We contacted Lionel through their website and will continue to pursue this but I suspect even though it was run only a month last holiday - they will not stand behind this product. Lionel is definitely not the same Lionel of days gone by. We plan to keep adding to my daughter's trains but are probably going to start collection the post-war O gauge. The Polar Express set is beautiful but a train is only as good as its engine - and I would highly recommend you stay away from this version!

One other piece of advice - I saw a comment about the transformer. If the train doesn't run, be sure it's not the engine (seems like the more likely culprit). When we went to our local Lionel Repair Station - we took our transformer and that worked just fine - the internal circuit board is the problem. Lionel has some interesting repair requirements for dealers that may be very capable of repair but Lionel makes it very impractical to get this engine fixed because the parts are impossible for the dealer to get.

We spent some time with our local Train gurus (KMA Hobby in Manassas, VA) and received some excellent advice - and bought our daughter the Southern Belle (Kansas City) train and engine - This engine will have no problem pulling her Polar Express passenger and freight cars. We really appreciate KMA Hobby for saving our holiday with their expertise!
on February 17, 2014
OK I'm still a big kid - 64 and still playing with trains. I set this up on a table with some other Christmas decorations so it looked like a Christmas village. Everyone that saw it was impressed. I added a set of small battery operated Christmas lights and when I turn off the lights it is magical. I'm very happy I invested in this train.
on February 14, 2014
I love this train. This is my first train set ever. I always wanted to have a train set under my Christmas tree and I am very happy with my purchase. I did have to take away a star though because the steam that is supposed to come of out the engine does not work consistently. Since this is for decoration and the steam cannot be engaged unless you hit the control, this was not a good enough reason for me to return it. After all I am not going to sit under my tree to hit the buttons for the train whistle and steam :-)
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2015
The only reason I can't give this 5 stars is because I had to exchange a defective unit after the first use. Amazon quickly sent a replacement and my son has had many hours of fun with it.
on January 11, 2014
Set up was easy, train works well, four year old grandson loves it and has no problem operating the train. My main concern was that the track be sturdy and it is. I will buy another one when my other grandson is old enough to play with it.
on December 5, 2014
Made about 10 laps and died and engine died lights and sounds still worked though.
on June 24, 2015
Great train and addition to our Christmas tree. The only problem we had, was that the bell didn't chime.
on December 10, 2014
Very pleased with the train set. Good quality and love it for around the Christmas tree.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.