Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Style: Train Set|Change

Showing 1-10 of 462 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 500 reviews
on November 21, 2013
I'm going to compare this model (6-30218) to the previous model of the Lionel Polar Express (6-31960), since many people seem to be asking what the difference is. That set is already thoroughly reviewed on Amazon. There are many similarities and a few big differences. Which one is better is a matter of opinion. For me, it's the new LionChief version due to the updates and remote control.

We'll start at the front of the train: The mighty Berkshire engine is almost exactly the same, with some exceptions: There are no longer separate hand rails adorning the sides of the tank. This was a nice detail on the previous model, but I don't miss it. It's been replaced by a handrail that's cast to the metal body. Also, there are two toggle buttons in the cab of the engine, one that turns on/off chuffing noises and the other that turns on/off smoke. (The chuffing sound doesn't actually come from the engine; all sounds are from the tender). The third difference, and this is big, is the previous model used a very simple metal bracket to "couple" the tender, which I never liked. This model uses a new over/under coupler (quick connect drawbar) that's heavy plastic with copper diodes inside. The diodes are responsible for sending sound commands from the engine to the tender and also syncing the chuffing noises with the speed of the locomotive. This works very well - I'm impressed with how accurate it is. And, last, the smoke! The smoke on this engine works very well. The old engine was hit or miss - most of the time the train had to warm up by going at least half speed around the track for a few minutes before there was any smoke. This engine started making smoke rings right away, and they are perfectly timed with the chuff of the engine. I'm impressed.

Next, the tender: Like I stated, the tender is where all the sounds come from. I was surprised to find the tender didn't have any volume controls. In fact, it has no controls at all since it now interfaces with the engine. The tender simply has a speaker inside with a sound screen on the bottom. The sound is decent. Still, I'd like to control the volume. This is Lionel's "RailSounds" module, as opposed to the less feature rich "TrainSounds" or "SteamSounds". If chuffing is turned on, your train can chuff and play other noises simultaneously. With previous versions, the bell, whistle, or announcements would interrupt the chuffing. This is more realistic. All sounds (except chuffing) are controlled by the remote buttons. This works pretty well and makes more sense than using a transformer to control sounds. The previous Polar Express only came with basic sounds. You actually had to upgrade the tender to hear any conductor announcements or chatter. The fact that this is now standard is a very good thing. One thing I do want to point out: The whistle only has a single tone. Some of the better RailSounds have a more realistic steam whistle that changes frequencies. Not a huge deal, but enthusiasts may be disappointed. I'm very happy with the sounds included on this model.

Next, the three passenger cars: Not much has changed here. You still get very high quality passenger cars with metal carriages and sturdy plastic cars. All cars have interior lights that are on when the track has power. There are silhouettes in the windows that adhere to the book and movie - children lining one car, forgotten toys in one, and the last has one lonely child near the back. The last car also has an observation deck and rear light on the crown. The observation deck comes as a separate piece that you attach. The plastic tabs that attach the deck to the train are flimsy. I feel like this piece could easily break, so I used a line of super glue to keep the deck permanently attached. This is really my only complaint with the passenger cars.

The track: You get 12 pieces of FasTrack (8 curved, 4 straight), which is a good deal considering the price of additional track. This is the same FasTrack set that comes with most Lionel starter sets, with the major exception of the single straight terminal section that supplies power. Sets that come with a transformer (this one does not) have a positive and negative wire terminal. This set simply has a jack to connect the power supply. So, here is a question that's better suited for the hobbyist: How many accessories can I power with the supplied adapter? I haven't tested this or running my train up any inclines, so I can't answer that. I do know this power adapter supplies 18 VAC to the track and everything included has ample power. I've even seen video of multiple LionChief trains running on the same track with a single power supply. But, at some point, when you add track or accessories, you'll have to add a transformer. Do I mind that a transformer wasn't included in this set? Not at all. I'm glad they kept the price down. Even a starter transformer would have added too much overhead and this is something you can always add as your set grows. (Tip: If you plan to put this around the Christmas tree, I recommend ordering additional track. This 4 pack should give you plenty of room for presents to fit inside your layout: Lionel - FasTrack - Straight Track - 4 Pack )

The remote: This is the real innovation. Remotes on O-Scale trains are traditionally very expensive. A remote on a starter set is kind of a game changer. The remote itself is lightweight plastic and requires 3 AAA batteries (not included). It's a shame that it doesn't feel more sturdy. Plus, it isn't interchangeable; meaning that this remote has a set frequency that will only power this model. You can't simply pick up a replacement and set the frequency to match the engine. The control knob moves to neutral, forward, and reverse and there are three buttons for the bell, whistle, and announcements/chatter. The response of the controls is very good considering the less-than-wonderful quality of the design.

Function: Once you plug the terminal piece of track into your power supply, the track is powered. Oddly, there is no toggle to cut the power on or off - you have to unplug the adapter to kill power. The remote has an on/off switch, but that only turns the remote on or off. As soon as you set your train on the track you will have light and sound. If chuffing is turned on, you'll hear slow chuffs and steam noises and some chatter after a little while in neutral. If you put the train in low forward or reverse, it crawls decently, not great, at low speeds. The smoke rings are better at low speeds, since you get big, billowy, puffs of white smoke. At faster speeds you can't see the rings. The train handles fairly smoothly - slowing down slightly on turns. It's capable of running faster than you would want to run it. So, caution if you hand the remote over to a child. It could easily derail at top speed. The supplied track is rather noisy, especially on hard wood floors. Placing the track on carpet or a rug improves the noise considerably.

Overall, I love the quality of this set and I think you get a lot of value, even if you were to pay MSRP. But, considering you can find this set for a substantial amount less than the list price, it's even a better deal. The lack of transformer makes it ideal for remote control around a Christmas tree. If you are getting into the hobby it's a great starter set that I hope will last for years. Only time will tell if the electronic components and remote hold up or not.

Also in the set you will receive 4 plastic movie figurines (Conductor, Engineer, Fireman, and the main character), smoke fluid, and a commemorative jingle bell as depicted in the movie (I guess it makes a nice ornament). Nice little extras, but nothing fancy.

One Final Note: Lionel is releasing a LionChief Plus series in 2014 that will have upgraded features such as a toggle for use with a traditional transformer and automatic decoupling. As of now, they have not announced if they plan to release a Polar Express model with LionChief Plus.

This train is in the first release of the LionChief line. There is no toggle that will allow it to run without a remote. The train will run on a track that is powered by a transformer (not included). But, that requires opening the transformer to full throttle and using the remote to control the movement of the engine. I'm only mentioning this because some people prefer using the traditional transformer over a remote control. My advice to anyone who wants the option of remote or transformer would be to wait for the LionChief Plus line to be release.
1616 comments| 431 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2015
This was sold and shipped by Amazon to me. It was listed as "new". When I started opening the Lionel blue box I noticed it had been re-taped. As I opened it up further, it looked like the Tazmanian Devel went through it. Clearly it had been opened and used as the smoke fluid had been punctured as well. I thought to myself if it worked I'd keep it but I wasn't pleased to say the least at that point. Dog hair was found on the locomotive wheels (new - really???). After setting up the track I turned it on and no sounds were being made. However, it did more forward and made ONE trip around the track before refusing to work again. No smoke (fluid added), no sounds, no reverse, despite the power light for the track being on and new batteries being installed the remote. Gee, I wonder why it was sent back the firsts time????? Please don't resend out to new customers returned packages - at least the ones labeled "new".
on December 18, 2013
I brought this thanks to amazon at a Lightning good price. I did verify the website at Lionel trains they charge 400 Dollars, compared to eBay or Lionel, Amazon has this at a great amazing price. I brought this for my self as a collector, I fell in love with not only the quality Die cast metal of the train, But also was shocked with the Box package it was really well made and put together. I will soon buy the area 51 train next. But if your reading this rating I sincerely Highly recommend this to any person. This is a serious train for mature youngster or adult... My son is 5 years old I am teaching him how to use it.. When he turns 9 or 10 years old I will buy him his own.
I rate this train set a perfect 10+++( Super important reminder) buy 4 pieces of 30 inch tracks extra with this purchase you will need it if you really want this to enjoy the beauty of the trains speeds, and mechanics, also sparks.

May my evaluation helps you in your purchase.
Sincerely, Ivan
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2016
I am currently waiting for a replacement. I opened the brand new packaged train and the train track LED light would only blink when the train is placed on the track - indicating a short somewhere in the engine. Lionel customer support says it must be the power pack not supplying enough electricity to the track (but why would the train show a short when placed on the track along with sparks around the contacts?) Maybe someone here can answer that... My Pennsylvania Flyer and alternative power pack run just fine on the track. We'll see what round #2 brings...

Update #1: Lionel customer service sent a new wall adapter and piece of track with the LED light and plug. The train now runs! BUT, the sound is not working. I have the switches turned on and no sound. I am returning to Amazon for exchange.

Update #2: The new train arrived. I placed the new engine on the track and it runs perfectly. The sound works great. An added bonus - this train engine does not derail at the fastest speed. Obviously some was wrong with the other train. Another note - I am pretty sure Amazon sent me a returned product and called it "new." This box came wrapped in "factory sealed plastic" and actually included an instruction manual and other literature that was NOT in the other box. I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in Amazon or Lionel. Or both. So, I'm leaving this as 1 star and now question Amazon. At least returns/exchanges are easy (I hope).
on December 6, 2016
HUUUUUUGELY disappointed in this train. DO NOT BUY.

We were caught up in the Christmas spirit and made the leap to purchase this expensive train set for underneath our tree. What a mistake.

Firstly, the locomotive looks amazing and is heavy and well made. That's where the good points end. The smoke stack is abysmal at best. Not sure if it ever did make any noticeable smoke.

The motor is very weak and simply going around corners would slow it down.

The lights in the cars flicker constantly and no adjusting, light changing, or contact wheel cleaning would make a difference.

The cars them selves are very cheap and flimsy. Compared to the locomotive, these items are garbage.

The train also just stops intermittently. What a disappointment.

The track came warped and didn't fit together right.

It's also very loud.

Do NOT buy this train. Lionel was supposed to be great. I'll now likely never get into this neat hobby as my first impression was one of great frustration. Too bad, Lionel had a great reputation. Not any more...

SIncerely,

Christian Walsh.
1 angry wife
and 2 very sad kids now that we're boxing this train set up to be returned for a refund.
on December 14, 2016
This train is amazing for the price! I'm not a train collector or enthusiast, but I wanted to get my son a decent quality Polar Express train for under our Christmas tree. I was thrilled when I opened the package and found such a nice quality train set. It comes with everything you need for a circular track setup. I purchased some of the FasTrack - O-Gauge straight tracks to add on to the layout. The package includes the train and cars that light up, power cord, remote control, curved track pieces, Polar Express figures, and a nice quality sleigh bell ornament. The train is heavy weight and has amazing detail. It has an option to make a "chuffing" sound when it's running with a switch to turn it off. It also has a switch to use the "smoke" that puffs from the top as it's running. The sounds are very clear and loud and sound just like Tom Hanks! The whistle and bell buttons on the remote sound great too! If you're looking for a quality plug-and-play train set that's easy to setup and use, you can't pass this up!
on December 28, 2014
This is a terrible product. I dont usually write negative reviews but i am so disappointed about this. This was intended to be a gift for my six year old for Christmas. What could be worst than a non-functioning train on Christmas morning ? Set everything up and couldnt even get the train to go in a simple loop without intermittently stopping on the tracks. Engine light would go off and the train would just stop - almost always in the same few areas of the loop. I rechecked track connections, cleaned the tracks and I altered the tracks thinking it was defective fastrack but that didnt solve the issue. I tested the electrical continuity and voltage of the transformer and found no obvious issues. Very frustrating problem. Either there is a short in the electrical wiring of the train or multiple segments of track are defective and i cant pick it up with my tester - very unlikely. Either way it doesnt work and is going back. Amazing that my 35 year old Lionel engine built in the USA still works with my old transformer and old tracks.
on December 25, 2016
Ordered right before Christmas and arrived in two days with Amazon Prime. Amazon had a price $100 to $150 cheaper than local stores. This is our second Lionel train so we had some of the typical pitfalls when you first get started. These trains are great but can be sensitive. They have to be coupled up well, track has to fit together well and be flat on the floor, wheels have to be just so on the track. Once you get the little kinks worked out it runs great. Cars light up, remote works well, sounds are great and figures are neat. My 4 year old loves it and it was all he asked for. The only two complaints are that the smoking feature worked great at first and then stopped. I will be doing some extra research on that to see if it is user error or a defect in the train. Also a little disappointed that the railing on the observation car is plastic and was not already attached/built in to the train. Ours keeps falling off.
on December 10, 2016
 So far so good. I was concerned about the negative reviews and I'm sure those purchasers had issues to be resolved. However, I went to my local hobby shop and asked them if they had issues with this set. They said they sell a lot of this set and no one was bringing them back because of quality issues. So, I took a chance and bought the set. We have run it off an on for a few days and so far it is awesome! See it and hear it in the video :)
on November 28, 2016
This Train comes with the price tag that should make you feel like you are buying the highest quality, hassle free set that couldn't possibly disappoint you right out of the box, well don't be fooled.The Steam engine has a sturdy metal body, everything else is run of the mill flimsy plastic. To top it off, the steam engine was defective right out of the box. Lionel, one of the premier American train makers should be ashamed to have their name on this overseas made disappointment.