Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 21, 2013
I'm going to compare this model (6-30218) to the previous model of the Lionel Polar Express (6-31960), since many people seem to be asking what the difference is. That set is already thoroughly reviewed on Amazon. There are many similarities and a few big differences. Which one is better is a matter of opinion. For me, it's the new LionChief version due to the updates and remote control.

We'll start at the front of the train: The mighty Berkshire engine is almost exactly the same, with some exceptions: There are no longer separate hand rails adorning the sides of the tank. This was a nice detail on the previous model, but I don't miss it. It's been replaced by a handrail that's cast to the metal body. Also, there are two toggle buttons in the cab of the engine, one that turns on/off chuffing noises and the other that turns on/off smoke. (The chuffing sound doesn't actually come from the engine; all sounds are from the tender). The third difference, and this is big, is the previous model used a very simple metal bracket to "couple" the tender, which I never liked. This model uses a new over/under coupler (quick connect drawbar) that's heavy plastic with copper diodes inside. The diodes are responsible for sending sound commands from the engine to the tender and also syncing the chuffing noises with the speed of the locomotive. This works very well - I'm impressed with how accurate it is. And, last, the smoke! The smoke on this engine works very well. The old engine was hit or miss - most of the time the train had to warm up by going at least half speed around the track for a few minutes before there was any smoke. This engine started making smoke rings right away, and they are perfectly timed with the chuff of the engine. I'm impressed.

Next, the tender: Like I stated, the tender is where all the sounds come from. I was surprised to find the tender didn't have any volume controls. In fact, it has no controls at all since it now interfaces with the engine. The tender simply has a speaker inside with a sound screen on the bottom. The sound is decent. Still, I'd like to control the volume. This is Lionel's "RailSounds" module, as opposed to the less feature rich "TrainSounds" or "SteamSounds". If chuffing is turned on, your train can chuff and play other noises simultaneously. With previous versions, the bell, whistle, or announcements would interrupt the chuffing. This is more realistic. All sounds (except chuffing) are controlled by the remote buttons. This works pretty well and makes more sense than using a transformer to control sounds. The previous Polar Express only came with basic sounds. You actually had to upgrade the tender to hear any conductor announcements or chatter. The fact that this is now standard is a very good thing. One thing I do want to point out: The whistle only has a single tone. Some of the better RailSounds have a more realistic steam whistle that changes frequencies. Not a huge deal, but enthusiasts may be disappointed. I'm very happy with the sounds included on this model.

Next, the three passenger cars: Not much has changed here. You still get very high quality passenger cars with metal carriages and sturdy plastic cars. All cars have interior lights that are on when the track has power. There are silhouettes in the windows that adhere to the book and movie - children lining one car, forgotten toys in one, and the last has one lonely child near the back. The last car also has an observation deck and rear light on the crown. The observation deck comes as a separate piece that you attach. The plastic tabs that attach the deck to the train are flimsy. I feel like this piece could easily break, so I used a line of super glue to keep the deck permanently attached. This is really my only complaint with the passenger cars.

The track: You get 12 pieces of FasTrack (8 curved, 4 straight), which is a good deal considering the price of additional track. This is the same FasTrack set that comes with most Lionel starter sets, with the major exception of the single straight terminal section that supplies power. Sets that come with a transformer (this one does not) have a positive and negative wire terminal. This set simply has a jack to connect the power supply. So, here is a question that's better suited for the hobbyist: How many accessories can I power with the supplied adapter? I haven't tested this or running my train up any inclines, so I can't answer that. I do know this power adapter supplies 18 VAC to the track and everything included has ample power. I've even seen video of multiple LionChief trains running on the same track with a single power supply. But, at some point, when you add track or accessories, you'll have to add a transformer. Do I mind that a transformer wasn't included in this set? Not at all. I'm glad they kept the price down. Even a starter transformer would have added too much overhead and this is something you can always add as your set grows. (Tip: If you plan to put this around the Christmas tree, I recommend ordering additional track. This 4 pack should give you plenty of room for presents to fit inside your layout: Lionel - FasTrack - Straight Track - 4 Pack )

The remote: This is the real innovation. Remotes on O-Scale trains are traditionally very expensive. A remote on a starter set is kind of a game changer. The remote itself is lightweight plastic and requires 3 AAA batteries (not included). It's a shame that it doesn't feel more sturdy. Plus, it isn't interchangeable; meaning that this remote has a set frequency that will only power this model. You can't simply pick up a replacement and set the frequency to match the engine. The control knob moves to neutral, forward, and reverse and there are three buttons for the bell, whistle, and announcements/chatter. The response of the controls is very good considering the less-than-wonderful quality of the design.

Function: Once you plug the terminal piece of track into your power supply, the track is powered. Oddly, there is no toggle to cut the power on or off - you have to unplug the adapter to kill power. The remote has an on/off switch, but that only turns the remote on or off. As soon as you set your train on the track you will have light and sound. If chuffing is turned on, you'll hear slow chuffs and steam noises and some chatter after a little while in neutral. If you put the train in low forward or reverse, it crawls decently, not great, at low speeds. The smoke rings are better at low speeds, since you get big, billowy, puffs of white smoke. At faster speeds you can't see the rings. The train handles fairly smoothly - slowing down slightly on turns. It's capable of running faster than you would want to run it. So, caution if you hand the remote over to a child. It could easily derail at top speed. The supplied track is rather noisy, especially on hard wood floors. Placing the track on carpet or a rug improves the noise considerably.

Overall, I love the quality of this set and I think you get a lot of value, even if you were to pay MSRP. But, considering you can find this set for a substantial amount less than the list price, it's even a better deal. The lack of transformer makes it ideal for remote control around a Christmas tree. If you are getting into the hobby it's a great starter set that I hope will last for years. Only time will tell if the electronic components and remote hold up or not.

Also in the set you will receive 4 plastic movie figurines (Conductor, Engineer, Fireman, and the main character), smoke fluid, and a commemorative jingle bell as depicted in the movie (I guess it makes a nice ornament). Nice little extras, but nothing fancy.

One Final Note: Lionel is releasing a LionChief Plus series in 2014 that will have upgraded features such as a toggle for use with a traditional transformer and automatic decoupling. As of now, they have not announced if they plan to release a Polar Express model with LionChief Plus.

This train is in the first release of the LionChief line. There is no toggle that will allow it to run without a remote. The train will run on a track that is powered by a transformer (not included). But, that requires opening the transformer to full throttle and using the remote to control the movement of the engine. I'm only mentioning this because some people prefer using the traditional transformer over a remote control. My advice to anyone who wants the option of remote or transformer would be to wait for the LionChief Plus line to be release.
1616 comments| 475 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 3, 2014
Purchased it for my grandchildren to replace a one year old model that didn't work when they brought it out for the holidays. It worked but then it just stopped running - extremely disappointing. Upon looking on line, I discovered this was a fairly common problem. Tried to troubleshoot but nothing worked. Love the product but very disappointed in the quality. But mostly because it was such a disappointment to the grandchildren. I returned it.
88 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 1, 2014
I was actually quite happy with it as I ran it for an hour or so after opening it on Christmas day. It ran good but with being limited on space(kids toys everywhere), I decided to package it up for a later date. I came back today to read some current reviews and to write a review but noticed many complaints and that Amazon actually pulled the product from sales. So being I only had till 01/08 to return it I decided to run it for a few hours today. Like many others, my train ran for maybe a few hours then sure enough it just quit. Something to do with the power source with the track that accepts the power. It just won't work however sometimes the red light will blink when the track is tapped. It seems to me that this connection became faulty from the train vibrations and it just won't connect now.

The train had some other issues also but nothing to major.

Overall it was built nice but the seams on the train weren't very tight. I seen a lot of light leakage from the front light in several different spots. Not a huge issue but it does take away from the 'realism' of the train.

No on/off switch is kind of silly.

There seemed to be sound issues as far as having to shut the sound off or turning it on. It had to be reset by unplugging the set.

Edit 01/06/13: I've decided to try another copy of this set as the set its self is very nice and detailed. I'm just worried about the longevity being there seems to be many of us who received sets that died in hours/days of being new. If my second set works good I'll raise the stars to where I think it should be.

EDIT 01/09/2014 REPLACEMENT: Replacement arrived, would not work out of the box. Upon inspection I noticed it looked like the train derailed off of a 5 foot high platform. It had scratches all over from the locomotive all the way to the last car. The locomotive even had black touch up paint covering some of the nicks and scratches. Also the gold whistle is super flimsy, was sideways, and nearly is broke off. I have no doubts this was a refurb put back on the shelf to sell as new. I ended up figuring out that the contact bars on the bottom of the locomotive weren't touching the track. Pulling them down a little ended up giving the train the contact it needed for power. The abuse this train looked like it went through is to much to keep. I mean it's suppose to be NEW. It's going back...

Luckily I haven't sent back my original and as I suspected it was an issue with the piece of track that accepts the power. So I'll just switch them out and send back the 'used' replacement I was sent. However, I have very little confidence that this train will last of the coarse of time. I just have no faith in this product but it is neat, I'll give it that. At $200 I'll take the chance. At the very least if it doesn't hold up out of warranty, I'll have a cool shelf piece for my office.

I can't give this more then 2 stars though. 2 bum copies isn't a good sign and my replacement is real bothersome as it look like it's been through a rough life already. Plus it does feel like an unfinished product with it's quirks I pointed out in my first part of my review.

Edit 01/11/2014: Returning the item. I have a couple of issues outside of what I went through above and even asked here on the question section of this product and I have comments saying it's not normal. My locomotive seems to struggle at low speeds, the motor is making an electrical buzzing sound at low speeds(like the motor has too much strain) and when entering the corners will even come to a complete stop at times. I've cleaned the track, cleaned the connections on the bottom of the train, reassembled everything and even moved it to another power outlet. Nothing mattered. Also I have a ton of light leaking from all the seams of the locomotive in the front by the headlamp. It's super annoying and make the set look extremely cheap and it does take away from the realism a bit.

Solution, buying a MTH RTR set.
review image
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 6, 2017
I am writing this to save you the aggravation I went through with my new train. Last year I purchased the Lionel Polar express and it worked perfect for two hours then the problems started. The train would stop on the track with lights on but the engine would not move. I read the negative feed backs and found others had the same issues. I even sent the train set back to Amazon for a replacement. Amazon is outstanding with returns. I choose this over Lionel warranty of returning the engine to an authorized service center.

The new train experienced the same issues and this is what I learned. When the train is plugged in and the remote is not used for 10 minutes the engine times out and will only restart if the track is unplugged and plugged back in again (reboot). I wish Lionel would have written this in the owner’s manual. Judging from the negative feedbacks they probably don’t know this is an issue or they would address it rather than have a bunch of train set returned. Another issue is the track snaps together but will loosen from the weight of the train when used over carpeting. I was able to fix this by clamping 15mm binder clips at each joint on the bottom of the track.

Overall I like the train and would have given it 5 stars if I didn’t have to go through all this aggravation to fix the issues. I hope this helps you and I hope Lionel will address these issues.
review image
on December 6, 2017
I purchased this O-guage set because, really, I was tired of the HO (smaller) set. The smaller sets are harder to manage, come off the tracks, and ar fragile. This set is the exact opposite of all of that. I am not a hobbyist. My set goes up for the tree, and comes down with the New Year. If you're like me, and you want a set that is easy to mange, simple to put up and easy to operate, this is the set for you.

There are, really, no flaws that I can see to this train set. The quality of the engine is remarkable for the price. I am astonished, really, that the cost of this entire set is $300.00. I've seen engines of this quality cast twice that much. The engine is heavy, well built, durable, and bulls the entire train set quickly around the track without coming off the tracks, and without the rolling stock becoming disconnected.

The remote control which allows the train to move around the tracks, is absolutely wonderful. I can sit on my couch, watch T.V., drink coffee, and from my T.V. screen, control the train going around the Christmas tree. This is wonderful.

More impressively, is the new plug-n-play, and I think this is one of the best features of recent development in the train industry. If you want to add accessories, just plug into special tracks (these are not included with the set), and they work.

As for this set, there was NO WIRING. Just put the tracks together, put the trains on, plug in the power adapter, put batteries in the remote control and it works.

There are three sounds. A bell, the voice of Tom Hanks, and a horn. You can activate all of these sounds from your couch with the remote control. The smoke stack from the engine is a wonderful quality, and it a really nice finishing touch from the locomotive, the engine makes a "chuffing" sound that coordinates not only with the smoke coming out, but in the frequency of the smoke. The faster the train moves, the more smoke comes out, the more the "engine-chuffing" sound moves with the smoke stack.

Both the smoke stack and the "chuffing" sound can be turned off with switches on the engine body. Lionel also has different scented smoke odors you can buy from their website.

Overall, I have to say, for the cost, I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with this purchase. If you are looking for a train set that I have described above, and is durable and fun . . . this is the set for you.

I am very satisfied with the quality and the finishing touches on this product.

Well done, Lionel.

Thank you for all your hard work.
on January 3, 2014
I recently purchased the Lionel Polar Express train set for my 5 year old son for Christmas. After assembling the train tracks and the trains, we were very disappointed to discover that the train did not operate. The tracks are connected properly and are fully powered (the red light is solid), but when I put the locomotive on the tracks, the red track light blinks and the locomotive only moves backwards in spurts. The locomotive does not move forward when we dial the remote to “forward”, or backward when we dial the remote to “reverse”. It only jerks backwards in spurts.

I called Lionel, and they want us to return the locomotive, tender and remote to them at our cost. Lionel won't pay for shipping back the defective product. I recommend avoiding this product and Lionel products generally.
55 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2015
Just received my order this week for nephew's Christmas present. He's been wanting to open it since the day the package was received. He was holding it as Christmas was about two days away. Today, his excitement and anticipation was replaced by frustration and disappointment. Remote control wasn't working even AAA batteries were new. what a disappointment for the kids😡
review imagereview image
22 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2017
this is the third train (Polar Express) I have had. First one didn't work at all. I sent it back. The second one I got at a hobby store and it did work, but not without a lot problem expanding the tracks. I did however get it working. It lasted x2 Christmases then a piece of metal driving the wheels broke. I sent off to get this one. Set up the tracks plugged it in placed the engine on the tracks using a device to line up the wheels ( and yes I did have the smoke option off for the trial run. Light came on. No movement of the engine no matter what I did. I packed it up to prepare for return. I've put a lot of expense and time into this project and I'm angry, disappointed, and about to give up. I can not recommend anyone get this kit. I feel that Lionel has targeted the not-as-committed hobbiest into purchasing this product, have them give up, then bite the expense of a piece of crap. I will try this one more time. Oh by the way Lionel has a phone number on the instructions on where you can find a vendor. I have not called this yet, but its's interesting it isn't a number for assistance or complaint. If there isn't anything I can do at least I can tell you DON'T BUY IT!!!
on November 28, 2016
This Train comes with the price tag that should make you feel like you are buying the highest quality, hassle free set that couldn't possibly disappoint you right out of the box, well don't be fooled.The Steam engine has a sturdy metal body, everything else is run of the mill flimsy plastic. To top it off, the steam engine was defective right out of the box. Lionel, one of the premier American train makers should be ashamed to have their name on this overseas made disappointment.
on September 22, 2015
We didn't feel that it was worth the price. The engine is heavy, but it has fragile fixtures on it that are easily broken in a derailment, which are of course inevitable. The cars feel cheap. I had to glue the rail on the caboose because it would not stay snapped on as was the necessary assembly.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.