Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 947 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on November 11, 2011
After my bad experience with the O Gauge I was very hesitant to order another Lionel. But this is something else. With my experience with the O gauge;and since this doesn't need to be on a track to run,I decided to battery up the tender and connect it to the Locomotive and place it on the hard wood floor,figuring that if this works,THEN I'll assemble the tracks and put on the other two cars. I grabbed the remote control pushed the on-off switch to ON and turned the Directional switch to half way forward....nothing happened...then I remembered I'd forgotten to put batteries in the RC. Turned it over and as you could probably guess,when I put in that second battery the train and tender shot forward (The switch was STILL on and the direction STILL to half way forward)LOL. I continued with the assembly of the tracks and the addition of the other two cars. I could see that if you don't have the tracks setup on a hard level surface you're gonna have problems with train disconnects and possibly track disconnects too,so watch out for these possible problems. I decided after a few hours of having fun that I should investigate the idea of 9.6 VDC rechargeable batteries. Id heard others,here, mention a few batteries that wouldn't fit so I decided to find out what would fit. Called Lionel customer service; open 9-5 EST @ 586-949-4100 Amy there said they have listed two such batteries,BOTH Radio Shack,one is 23-342 a 1000 mAh Ni-Cad and the other is 23-432 a 1600 mAh NMH. I did two searches on the Radio Shack website. The 23-342 came up with nothing;the 23-432 resulted in a 23-1171 which turned out to be the 1600 mAh battery and the charger. When I manage to get over to a Radio Shack I'll pick up the pair and report back as to: if and how well they work.

Battery update: I bought the 23-1171 @ Radio Shack since I can't add a picture of what it looks like,here's a link [...] WHOA does this thing FLY NOW! After charging the 10 hrs.the package recommended I checked the DC voltage on the battery pack it was 11.03.
So if you want one that fits and comes with a charger get yourself to a Radio Shack.
review image
1111 comments| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2014
This is my first train - and I love it! it was just what I wanted for under the tree! It is the perfect size. I love the sound effects, the whistle, bell and espeically the "All Aboard!"
review image
11 comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2010
What a cute train! I've had the train up for four days. Until yesterday, it has never made it around the track once without shutting down. It says it automatically turns off in ten minutes when not in use. Not so! I had to unplug the engine from the Coal Car and after four days had to change all batteries again.

In all fairness, last night, we changed the batteries and it made it around the track four times without stopping. Also, the train cars do not stay hooked. I had to scotch tape the cars together.

It's a cute train set and my 5,6 and 7 year old grandsons will love it around the Christmas tree this year, but it's not the Lionel that I remember as a kid. Hope this helps someone.
66 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2015
READ THIS IF ON THE FENCE or need help keeping track locked or cars together-USE BLACK SMALL ZIPTIES. I SHOW HOW TO KEEP TRACK LOCKED WITH EASY ZIP-TIE SOLUTION in the video! I also show the G vs O Gauge. Bottom line: BUY THIS IF YOU WANT IT FOR A CHRISTMAS TREE-IT'S PERFECT!! Kids will love it and it is a good product. Make sure you buy a rechargeable 9.6V battery pack x 2 and charger (Tenergy makes them-get the 2000mah, not 1000mah and you will not need to swap them often-milliamp hours is the battery capacity). 1 battery for operation, 1 fully charged ready to go as backup. If your cars keep uncoupling then use the same small, black zip-ties to keep the couplers together. I have a zip-tie between the locomotive and tender coupler, but not on the cars as I have found the cars stay together. You can leave the zip tie on the locomotive and coupler for storage in the box since you don't need to take them apart! Same principle applies as for the track-you can slide off the zip-ties for next year's use if using them on the cars.
on December 2, 2012
We go this train set for our 2 year old to enjoy around our Christmas tree, and it was perfect.

This is not a model or collector train quality item, it's definitely a toy, but that's just what we needed at this age.

Our track fit together well and the train ran perfectly. I would recommend this item to others with young children.
on December 14, 2015
 This is a really decent train, and works as advertised. I would give it five stars if it were properly scaled like their O-Scale version. Unfortunately, all the engine, tender, and cars have all been "shortened", making them appear more toy-like. And with only two cars, that makes for a pretty stubby train. I ended up buying two sets, so I'd have more cars/track, and some redundancy in case something broke. So far, its still working well after two Christmas seasons. PROs: Battery powered, so no concerns about voltage drop, transformer plugins, dirty track, or dirty wheels. Car realism is good, except for the shortness. The train always speeds up and slows down gradually, simulating momentum. And the "All Aboard" sound is actually Tom Hanks from the movie, and the chugging sound is proportion to speed. CONs: Battery powered, so you will definitely want to buy six NiMH C-cells and a charger. The train cannot be turned completely off ... instead it goes to a "stand-by" mode, which will slowly drain the batteries unless you remove them. The bell and whistle sounds are not from the movie, and both could be better. The range of my remote is usually only 10-15 feet, so if you have a big layout like me, you need to follow the train, else it stops. The last (observation) car only has a coupler on the front end, so if you buy two sets like I did, you can't really connect both of these cars. But I would definitely buy it again, so I've provided a video of my train (dubbed over with music) running through my house. Hope it uploads! :-)

UPDATE: The Amazon-hosted video quality is rather poor. So here is the same video on YouTube in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzlk9uoRAC0 And here is my same train last year where can hear its sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2fYnp7oqBY
on December 9, 2010
Remote Control range is about 2 feet, I actually have to follow the train or lay the remote control on top of the train to keep it going. Looking for solution before returning it. Quality is junk. Not worth $80.
on December 1, 2010
Look around before you buy! As Amazon keeps changing the price on this train, it was not till I found the same train at half of Amazon's price, that I returned it for a refund. They play the same game the Airlines play, only backwards, buy early will not work on Amazon.
on December 16, 2010
Not sure what everyone is talking about, because I have not had any problems with this train. I love it and think it is a great addition to our holiday traditions. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the negative reviews! This train is a great basic train for little ones. I have a 4 and 2 year old and they have had a great time playing with it. I have had to teach them not to touch it once I get it set up because, yes, the train falls off the track if kids are trying to play with the cars. Yes, the track comes apart if someone is stepping or pulling on it. Yes, the couplings don't stay together when the trains fall off the track. I didn't expect any more...that sounds pretty obvious to me. But once set up on the track, it runs smoothly...on our carpeted basement floor. The remote control makes it a great "toy" without them having to actually play with the train. I love the forward/reverse as well as the bell, whistle and conductor call sounds. We also didn't have any trouble with the batteries provided. We set it up a a couple weeks ago and our kids have played with it almost everyday without having to replace batteries yet. I don't have any complaints at all about this train. I'm so glad I bought it!
on November 25, 2016
First of all, I love this train set. It's a great value and I highly recommend this.

After purchasing this train set a couple of weeks ago I finally have had a chance to actually setup and operate the train tonight (the kids are out shopping on Black Friday with Mom!) and I have to say: I’m really impressed with this train! I realize it is supposedly just a “toy train” but really the quality of workmanship is excellent. This is coming from a model railroader going back 40 years. It is sturdy and I think not only will it hold up well to a 5 and 7 year old but I also think they are going to have loads of fun with it.

When you pick up and inspect any of the rolling pieces - engine unit, the coal tender and the cars - the first thing you will notice is they are heavy. And though it is made of plastic the feel isn’t that of just plain ol’ cheap plastic either. I really like the "snow" texturing on the passenger cars too. It easier for small hands to work with them.

Some of the reviews also spoke of problems with the track coming apart during operation. I have not had that problem yet and don’t think it will happen. I suspect that this may have been something that was addressed through a redesign by Lionel. The system I have locks together easily and is very tight. It’s also easy to disassemble. I admit that the disassembly part was a bit nerve-wracking at first because it feels like you are going to break something but it simply snaps apart and all is good.

If you are purchasing a new set it does not accept a 9.6v rechargeable battery pack. Several reviews and questions here say that you can. I purchased a rechargeable 9.6v battery as had been recommended by several people here. When I received the train set, I was not able to find a place to plug in the battery. I contacted Lionel and they responded quickly and explained that due to UL regulations they had to remove the 9.6v battery attachment. This is not a big deal to me and shouldn’t be to you either. What you can take from this is if you are purchasing a new set, then it will only take C batteries and I would recommend you purchase a good quality set of rechargeable C batteries. I purchased the EBL batteries with the charger and they have performed very well.

Overall, very pleased with this. If I could wish for anything it would be to include more of the character figurines. This set includes the conductor and Billy only. It does have the disappearing hobo on the roof of the observation car. I wish they had the girl and the “know it all” boy at least. Maybe Santa. There are more figurines available for the O gauge set but the only thing I can find available of the G scale is a set that gives you a second conductor and Billy but you do get the train operators Steamer and Smokey which is nice.

This whole thing has really got me under the model train spell again. I’ve been around model trains since I was very young. My dad had an old American Flyer (S scale) and that got me interested. My teenage years were “wasted” playing with model trains. But, I haven’t been very active since then. Now, after seeing this, having kids of my own, seeing some of the new stuff out there, I suddenly having a new found interest in Lionel. I always saw both the name Lionel and the O scale to be out of my reach both due to space and cost. Older now, a little easier maybe to do some dabbling.

I may have to consider getting one of Lionel’s O scale higher end sets and see if I get hooked on this crazy fun hobby again.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.