Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 976 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,262 reviews
on November 11, 2011
After my bad experience with the O Gauge I was very hesitant to order another Lionel. But this is something else. With my experience with the O gauge;and since this doesn't need to be on a track to run,I decided to battery up the tender and connect it to the Locomotive and place it on the hard wood floor,figuring that if this works,THEN I'll assemble the tracks and put on the other two cars. I grabbed the remote control pushed the on-off switch to ON and turned the Directional switch to half way forward....nothing happened...then I remembered I'd forgotten to put batteries in the RC. Turned it over and as you could probably guess,when I put in that second battery the train and tender shot forward (The switch was STILL on and the direction STILL to half way forward)LOL. I continued with the assembly of the tracks and the addition of the other two cars. I could see that if you don't have the tracks setup on a hard level surface you're gonna have problems with train disconnects and possibly track disconnects too,so watch out for these possible problems. I decided after a few hours of having fun that I should investigate the idea of 9.6 VDC rechargeable batteries. Id heard others,here, mention a few batteries that wouldn't fit so I decided to find out what would fit. Called Lionel customer service; open 9-5 EST @ 586-949-4100 Amy there said they have listed two such batteries,BOTH Radio Shack,one is 23-342 a 1000 mAh Ni-Cad and the other is 23-432 a 1600 mAh NMH. I did two searches on the Radio Shack website. The 23-342 came up with nothing;the 23-432 resulted in a 23-1171 which turned out to be the 1600 mAh battery and the charger. When I manage to get over to a Radio Shack I'll pick up the pair and report back as to: if and how well they work.

Battery update: I bought the 23-1171 @ Radio Shack since I can't add a picture of what it looks like,here's a link [...] WHOA does this thing FLY NOW! After charging the 10 hrs.the package recommended I checked the DC voltage on the battery pack it was 11.03.
So if you want one that fits and comes with a charger get yourself to a Radio Shack.
review image
1111 comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2014
This is my first train - and I love it! it was just what I wanted for under the tree! It is the perfect size. I love the sound effects, the whistle, bell and espeically the "All Aboard!"
review image
11 comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2015
My 3 Y.O. boy almost fainted while opening the box :) and, despite the 14% of 1-star reviews, the train is running fine!
No derailing so far (used only the curved tracks due to the space around my Christmas tree). You better find a flat surface (hardwood or tile floor) to avoid track-caused problems though.
The train slowed down and stopped on its own, which freaked me out, but it turned out that the train stops if it loses connection to the remote control. If you lay the remote down on the floor, even right next to the track, the train will stop. Keep the antenna high.
I agree that the build quality is not good esp. for a $80-$150 toy (certainly not a collector item), but if your child is as crazy about Polar Express as mine (and if you are lucky to avoid a lemon), this may worth the money.
on January 4, 2014
Our 4 year old son has been asking for a BIG polar express train for the past 3 Christmases. We didn't get it before now, concerned he would grow out of trains as a hobby. Still in love with trains, we got it this year and he loves it. I got it on sale, paying less than $100, which is always good. The talks are easily put together and the train itself is easy to couple the cars together. It is an exact replica from the movie and the whistle and other sounds are direct from the movie too, which thrills my son. The fact that it is radio controlled is another perk, and it's easy enough for him to control without any help. The figurines that come with it are a novel idea, but I can see them getting lost very quickly. Other than that, a great train from the trusted Lionel brand. I will purchase more if his hobby for trains continues.
on March 5, 2017
I simply can't say enough about how wonderful this awesome train is. We have had it for 2 Christmas's now! The lights, the sounds, the little characters, are such a great touch to this masterpiece! It is built well, it's very strong, the tracks fit perfectly. We LOVE this train. Makes the perfect addition to our Christmas tree. I suggest getting a flat board to go under it so it has a smooth surface to go on. You won't be sorry if you purchase this terrific train!
on December 5, 2013
I bought this train set thinking it would amaze my 3 year old daughter and 4 year old son. It turn out that the quality was poor, tracks arrived slightly bent and connection didn't align causing the train to derail. Also, the front wheel which suppose to guide the engine was so loosely mounted that any slight elevation difference in the track would cause the train to derail. I had the train set initially setup around Xmas tree with circle layout and kept derailing. Next, tried it on my flat hardwood floor hoping that it was the carpet and again, it derail intermittently; sometimes in the same spot and other times not. I think it's a combination of front guide wheels not assy. correctly or design too loosely fitted and fact tracks were bent. Seriously, not worth the $119.99 that it was advertised for online. Even with sale, $89.99 I would purchase something better construction.
on January 5, 2015
I bought this for my 3-1/1 year old grandson for Christmas. It is the most frustrating thing he received. The tracks don't stay together very well, the cars won't stay together at all, even though I have used wire to keep them attached, and it keeps jumping the track. I thought I couldn't go wrong with Lionel but I was fooled. Don't waste your money of this train. It's totally not worth the cost or the frustration.
on March 5, 2017
It is a plastic train, not die-cast and it is intended to be operated by little ones although not assembled by them. The doors on the carriages open, the joints are all articulated, the sounds are very good and I love the way it has to 'cool down' when it stops. Real steam was never an on-off thing.
on February 26, 2017
Boy age 7 and girl age 5 loved it as Christmas gift. Fun to set up around tree and watch Polar Express each year. Has been working 2 years now.
on March 21, 2017
Put it around the Christmas tree every year - grandkids love it and talk about it even after the holidays - makes a wonderful memory

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.