Spring Deals Automotive HPC Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 9, 2014
Since I was the only one in our household climbing a ladder to decorate and undecorate our huge Christmas tree, I gave away the tree and replaced it with this Lionel Santa's Flyer. What a hit with our grandchildren! They love driving the train and especially sounding the whistle. The track is easy to assemble, the train moves well on the track, and the colors are beautiful and bright. We learned you have to run the train for awhile for the smoke to appear and ours was very light. The music is nice in short bursts, but can become annoying. It is a little difficult to turn the music on and off while the boxcar is on the track. You have to remember where the switch is and feel around to find it or you have to decouple and turn the boxcar upside down to move the switch. A small annoyance. Just driving a train around and around can get boring so we decided to add pieces each year to our set. Our oldest grandchildren will help us decide on a figure 8 piece or a bridge or something next year. We have now started a tradition at Christmas with this lovely train and our grandchildren that will continue for years as we pack it up and bring it out each year.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2014
I wanted a train set to go around the Christmas tree because my two young grandsons were spending Christmas with us. When they arrived, not only did my grandsons love the train so did my son and the test of his family. My youngest quickly figured out how to work it and had lots of fun blowing the whistle and making it back up.
Overall, I was impressed with the quality and the completeness of the set. It was definitely worth the price and I can recommend it highly. Shipping was fast and it was well packaged.
on December 26, 2012
Fun train set, One minor problem, switch for music on boxcar is on the bottom of the car, poor design, should be on one of the ends.
on January 18, 2013
This is awsome. We will enjoy this for years to come. So easy to setup and get running. To see the look on the kids faces when it comes around playing the christmas tunes. priceless!!!
on March 6, 2013
Goo product overall. only complain (small) is the smoke feature does not work that great. other than that the product is good
on January 3, 2013
Great train set for around the tree. My grandson loved it. I had a Lionel train as a kid, and this brought back fond memories. The train was easy to set up, and worked well. Everything you need is in the box.
on November 28, 2012
We just opened the track cleaner that goes with this set. Can't wait for the kids to have a new tradition with the Christmas train. My son carries his trains around with him and pushes them on the track and they do get beat up but they still run. The local train shop has tightened screws, fixed motors and couplings, etc. Only one engine from 10 years ago was not worth fixing since it was cheaper to buy a new engine. Hoping this set will last a long time.
on November 15, 2013
I bought this train set to enhance the holidays for my daughter and found myself caught up in the nostalgia. I added 6 10 inch straight track sections and screwed it down to a christmas village display I made. There are tabs under each track if you want to attach additional wires for an even spread of power throughout the track. You can solder these or use connectors you can buy at home supply store like I did. There is absolutely no power loss from additional track as others indicated. I will though upgrade in the future to a higher output transformer as I add more accessories and use the 40cw it comes with for auxiliary needs. The box car plays random short clips of Xmas music but the speaker is a little loud. Yes you need to turn it upside down to switch it off and on but I just choose to leave the car off the main track and place it a small section of auxiliary track for display and not worry about. I also bought a chessie locomotive with crew sounds and caboose and these run great too with this transformer. The whistle is a bit weak at slow speeds but the faster you go the louder it seems to get. Kinda like a whistle in the distance. Smoke is also low output at low speeds and not much better at fast pace. Don't keep the smoke switch on unless drops of fluid are in the reservoir or it will ruin the smoke box. A bit pricey but very cool addition and should last a long time with care. The track can be cleaned with a lionel clean and lube kit or you can clean it with some rubbing alcohol. Same with the train wheels. Don't forget the gears and axles need periodic oiling. There are many videos online to assist with the maintenance. Buy with confidence it's a great product.

Update: I fixed the low out put whistle as any train set apparently with ages 8 and older has a federal restriction on decibels thus the whistle being so low. On the lionel website they have a fix in which you unscrew the tender car screws and remove the top. Then you clip the capacitor and solder back down. It took me 5 minutes and voila the whistle was louder or a normal decibal in my opinion. The numbering on the fix I does not Match the circuit board but the picture is almost identical and easy to figure out. If you try it you will know what I mean. Go to lionel website and look up this train and you will see the troubleshooting PDF on the side. Additionally, I don't believe the made in china inferior product as many have claimed on new lionel trains. I have a 1974 USA made chessie system locomotive with die cast trucks that is inferior to my made in China 2010 merger chessie loco. And this was a limited edition item. The detail is a notch above in the china model and the sounds are superior also albeit the trucks are not die cast but the wheels are. Yes I would like this train set to be made in the USA but it is not inferior to any of the USA lionel products I have.
on January 20, 2014
I purchased this train set for my 2.5 yr old daughter to have around the Christmas tree. It arrived and the train looked great. When we put all the cars on the track, it would not run and sparks would come out of the last car (lighted). Seems there was a short somewhere with this car. When I took it off the other four cars ran with no issues. I exchanged it through Amazon who could not have been better. We received the second set and had the same exact issue. This time we juts returned it for a refund and will look to get another set next year most likely MTH. They seem to still manufacture in the USA as opposed to China...you get what you pay for...
on June 13, 2013
the set came in as described. but I thought it would be of much better quality. being a lionel set. it runs ok. but is a way cheaper version of lionel then im used to. really lite plastic. plastic couplers. very basic. I guess you get what you pay for. but for what they charge. I think they could have put more quality into it. its a shame on the name of lionel to put this very poorly made unit out. two and three hundred dollars is a lot to a lot of people. we deserve better. from lionel. this I would expect to get if I were buying from china. not lionel. but the train does run like they say. 40watt transformer. track is only good standard thing. train very lite. but if you just want a train that runs. this is it. but don't expect the lionel quality you used to get. I guess it went down the tubes. for the price they could have made it better and still make a profit. they spend more on advertising then quality I think. that's my opion only thank you for listening
11 comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.