Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 733 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 833 reviews
on December 20, 2014
Of the many books (3 to 4 dozen) I have read on battles and wars in general, including WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, this book's description of combat scenes and action captured almost everything except the loud ear piercing explosions and smells of the fray. The descriptions are factual yet engender all the emotions of actually being involved in the battle (Maybe not quite as intense). The battle action is sequential and at times unbelievable. While describing a single 11 day event, it achieves the author's intent to vindicate America's gratitude toward military personnel. For over two hundred years military personnel have preserved our freedom, although the appreciation of them is not fully understood and generally insufficient. This book will increase the appreciation of all dedicated military personnel.
on July 13, 2016
Awesome account of one of the largest counter assaults that has taken place in Afghanistan. Well written, no bragging, just a Hero's tale. I really enjoyed this book. I have read all of the other big hitters currently being pumped by Hollywood and although I enjoyed them this story stands above the rest. I cannot say thank you enough for fighting for me and my family, for the United States and protecting our flag.
on July 14, 2016
Absolutely loved this book. Give it up to a Maverick SF Captain to write a great recount of an incredible battle and what went into the mission before even getting to the battle. This really gives you a solid look into the day to day lives of the men and not just the action behind the guns. And it really shows you the difference between SF and other Spec Op Teams as they take a truly equitable stake in the Afghan Forces being embedded with them day in day out, your to tour.
on September 4, 2016
I had a difficult time putting this book down because the story it told was very intense. I served with ODA Soldiers in Afghanistan but when I saw them, their mission in the province was training the Afghan Local Police (ALP) and did not get involved in large-scale firefights like MAJ Bradley's team did. MAJ Bradley had a very small SF team augmented by a comparably small number of Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers. If it weren't for the rotary and fixed-wing Close Air Support (CAS) that they received, nobody would've survived that battle.
on June 2, 2017
A fascinating account of the efforts of US Army Special Forces Task force 31 and the support they needed to survive their fight to block an essential Taliban crossroads and help Canadian forces which were stymied because of huge numbers of unexpected fighters and heavy weapons. Close air support made the difference, daring helicopter med-evacs and resupply missions were crucial and all of it orchestrated with the clear understanding that the entire country of Afghanistan and freedom for its people hung in the balance. Eleven days of almost hand-to-hand combat against incredible odds made the difference. They took strongholds and a valley the Russians had never been able to subdue and it was hard. It was the Taliban’s back yard. Very well told, combat as only the best can describe, well worth the time.
on June 5, 2014
This book is well written and engaging. The story has actually become a single episode tv show on the American Heroes Channel (former Military Channel), which shows how unique and interesting the story is. Unfortunately the tv show does not give the book or battle the justice, that the book will give the reader. If you want a fast paced read, on an interesting battle in Afghanistan where the Afghan Army and US soldiers fought side by side to win, then this is the book for you.
on June 7, 2014
lions of Kandahar made me feel as if I was at the battle. I am so proud of the men & wemon that fight and protect our country and freedom. this book is all action. I would read any book by this author and co-writers. I am a avid modern military reader and I enjoy this title immensely. my advise to you is read it! these guys are A-Team all the way.
on July 10, 2014
The integrity of our military people is in stark contrast to that of the politicians who send them into war. This is a great story that needs to be told. When we send our people to war, we should know what we're asking of them. These guys were handed an impossible job, and they worked miracles to succeed at it. But they paid dearly for their success.

Three times the British fought to stabilize Afghanistan, each time with disastrous results. In 1919, after their third effort they managed to establish a border that had everything to do with British interests, and nothing to do with local interests. Now Americans are fighting and dying to police that border, since enemy supplies and troops flow across it freely. Afghanistan has never really been a nation, but rather a bunch of tribes that have always been at war with each other. I pray that I am wrong, but I have real doubts about our ability to establish republican government in such a place. The politicians should know if the mission is impossible, but I fear they just reflect the ignorance of their electorate. Our military families pay the price of our ignorance.
on March 3, 2017
An inside look at our special forces operation. This book is well written, and provides great detail of a major Afghanistan battle.
on December 1, 2015
When I was looking for a good war novel to read, everyone pointed me to "Black Hawk Down" and "Lone Survivor". I read those two books, but it still hadn't scratched the itch. This book is what I was looking for.

"Lions" is a straight-up firefight, cover-to-cover. Not much character development, just tactics and combined-arms ops, but that's exactly what I was wanting. It gives you a great sense of what it's like to have to hold out against great odds and how a close air support run at the right moment makes all the difference.

I couldn't put this book down and really enjoyed every minute of it. This is a must-read for anyone who loves a good firefight.