Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

Lipper International 826 Bamboo Wood Kitchen Tools in Mesh Bag, 6-Piece Set
Size: 2.5" x 12" x 0.25" (Length x Width x Height)|Color: Bamboo Wood|Change
Price:$6.88+ Free shipping

on November 30, 2016
I buy from Amazon constantly and rarely take the time to post reviews. I know, I'm a slacker. But, holy moly, I can't in good conscience allow others to bring these into their homes. These utensils should be ashamed of themselves. One of the handles was already split upon opening, and the others are splintered and randomly splattered with what we can only hope is shellac. They were very inexpensive, so I kept my hopes low, but wow. I mean, just wow. Impressively disappointing. I thought about keeping them for... I don't know... when you need a flimsy, splintered piece of bamboo. But, I quickly realized that I will be deeply irritated every time I remember these exist. Hopefully, if I send them back, they will eventually fade from memory. In the immortal word of our 45th president, "Sad!"
on December 29, 2015
These are essentially the same as any other set, except for the cut quality.

Pros:
OK price
Wood is good quality
Standard variety

Cons:
Cut quality/fit and finish is terrible. Wherever there was a cut to shape these, there are a few stray splinters. One hole wasn't fully drilled, and a few more had shards of wood stretching across. All of the holes were placed at a different point on the handle by a few millimeters. It looked like I got an unfinished product. I had to sand them all down, drill the holes better, and cut some of the shapes more evenly.

Overall: Terrible quality control, needs an extra worker in the line with a square of sandpaper or something. The price was ok, but I would have liked to receive something I could use comfortably.
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2017
For the price, these utensils have been quite acceptable.
I added a few observations that I wanted to make, pointing out some of the biggest complaints that I have seen in the reviews.

- This product is made from a fibrous plant material. Splinters are inevitable, although the wood splitting may be a bit much but will happen occasionally. The splitting will be exacerbated by letting the utensils soak in water and then let to dry out completely.
- It costs less than $6 US for cryin' out loud! You want better quality? Pay for it.
- I see no flaking lacquer, although they do seem to have a hard time absorbing the mineral oil that I keep applying not to mention that the finish is extremely dull as of none was applied.
- Some of the images depict shiny spots. If you will notice that these glossy areas are located where the material's grain density is as its highest and with very little effort will produce a sheen.
VINE VOICEon December 1, 2014
I would bet these are made in China and if you see something on this which shines like a nice plastic coating on it - it really scares the heck out of me. This is from a country which has a history of adding melamine in milk, ciprofloxacin in honey and make soy sauce from human hair (not bluffing - google them). No, I am not a China hater, I love their culture and people - it is just that few folks can make this kind of inferior quality stuff without thinking long term effects for the people using it.

I had earlier bought bamboo kitchen tools from another store and they did look like wood - no shine, just normal wood. These have this smooth plastic/artificial coating which the manufacturer is not disclosing.

Gave it a nice wash on the dishwasher and the shine did not go away - next I am planning to get a fine sandpaper and rub it off
Top Contributor: Cookingon November 25, 2014
I'm not sure what to say about these in several respects as these are my first set of bamboo utensils. First, I bought them because they were a set of 6, not 5, like most other sets. Second, most of the utensils are made out of more than one piece of bamboo and I don't know if that's standard. I searched Amazon for bamboo utensils that were made out of one piece of bamboo, but couldn't find any. Third, I seasoned them thoroughly with Amazon's "Bayes Mineral Oil Wood Bamboo Protectant," many times -following the directions carefully. They never seemed to absorb much of the food-grade mineral oil. I don't know if that's typical. But they eventually darkened and seemed not as "hard" or "brittle."

I bought these as a gift for a friend. I would buy them again, but let them do the seasoning (lol). I gave them 4 stars because of the unknowns I enumerated above.
on November 6, 2015
DON'T USE THESE FOR FOOD! First of all, there was no MESH BAG. Just a plastic bag that they arrived in. But that isn't my issue. The problem is that the FIRST THING I noticed was a WIERD SMELL coming from the utensils. It smelled like ELMER'S GLUE or ADHESIVE. Sure enough when I looked at them closely they looked like they had been covered in some sort of VARNISH. There were Hardened GLOBS of it on the portion of the utensils that would come into contact with the food. I WON'T USE THESE. I am usually very careful about reading reviews so I don't know how I missed the comments left by other purchasers. I will look into returning them.
on June 4, 2017
These came in somewhat poor condition, lots of splinters on the sides and inside the holes and slits on the spoons. I went to a hardware store and got some 220 grit sandpaper for maybe 3 dollars and spent about 20 minutes sanding down each item very thoroughly, and they're much better now. I would recommend these items if you don't mind getting them sanded down first. Definitely be careful if you decide to use them without doing so first, because they are rough enough to hurt you if you're not careful. (I cut myself pretty badly on a splintered edge while sanding the first one down)
on June 28, 2017
So, these are super cheap. And exactly what I needed!

Step 1, when you receive them: wash them in dishwasher, with sanitize cycle.

Step 2. With extremely fine, and I mean EXTREMELY fine sandpaper, rub them down.

Step 3. Rinse.

They will turn into excellent wooden tools. Why four stars and not 5? Because these are super easy steps. Why the manufacturer doesn't do them is beyond me. All they really have to do is use finer grit in production.
on November 6, 2016
So... when my 'traditional american' nylon cooking utensils started to melt and flake off into food I knew it was time to go to a non-melting cooking utensil. And since I'm eco-conscious, this seemed like a good idea.

They came quickly, in minimal packaging (a plastic mesh bag with a label, nothing fancy). At first I was put off by the cheap looking packaging, but in retrospect it was eco-friendly and I'm ok with that.

These work great. I cook with them all the time. I will say that you need to understand that Bamboo isn't completely smooth, so the edges of the utensils feel bumpy when you run your finger over them. They don't scratch your cookware though, it's just startling if you are unaware.

I recommend 'seasoning' them with a bit of cooking oil after their first wash. It helps to keep food from sticking to them, and makes them easier to wash.
Received all the utensils seen here. A couple of them were a little rough and needed sanding. Like the pasta spatula (one with the hole in the center) had wood bits sticking in the center where it was not cut properly. Easy to use a razor blade to remove excess and sand it down. Other than that, they are all what I was expecting. Not an 80$ set of wood spoons. Nice and simple bamboo. I needed to replace a bamboo spoon I've had for years and it was starting to crack.