Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Size: 2.5" x 12" x 0.25" (Length x Width x Height)|Color: Brown|Change
Price:$5.93+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 1,519 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,651 reviews
on November 30, 2016
I buy from Amazon constantly and rarely take the time to post reviews. I know, I'm a slacker. But, holy moly, I can't in good conscience allow others to bring these into their homes. These utensils should be ashamed of themselves. One of the handles was already split upon opening, and the others are splintered and randomly splattered with what we can only hope is shellac. They were very inexpensive, so I kept my hopes low, but wow. I mean, just wow. Impressively disappointing. I thought about keeping them for... I don't know... when you need a flimsy, splintered piece of bamboo. But, I quickly realized that I will be deeply irritated every time I remember these exist. Hopefully, if I send them back, they will eventually fade from memory. In the immortal word of our 45th president, "Sad!"
on December 29, 2015
These are essentially the same as any other set, except for the cut quality.

Pros:
OK price
Wood is good quality
Standard variety

Cons:
Cut quality/fit and finish is terrible. Wherever there was a cut to shape these, there are a few stray splinters. One hole wasn't fully drilled, and a few more had shards of wood stretching across. All of the holes were placed at a different point on the handle by a few millimeters. It looked like I got an unfinished product. I had to sand them all down, drill the holes better, and cut some of the shapes more evenly.

Overall: Terrible quality control, needs an extra worker in the line with a square of sandpaper or something. The price was ok, but I would have liked to receive something I could use comfortably.
on November 6, 2015
DON'T USE THESE FOR FOOD! First of all, there was no MESH BAG. Just a plastic bag that they arrived in. But that isn't my issue. The problem is that the FIRST THING I noticed was a WIERD SMELL coming from the utensils. It smelled like ELMER'S GLUE or ADHESIVE. Sure enough when I looked at them closely they looked like they had been covered in some sort of VARNISH. There were Hardened GLOBS of it on the portion of the utensils that would come into contact with the food. I WON'T USE THESE. I am usually very careful about reading reviews so I don't know how I missed the comments left by other purchasers. I will look into returning them.
on April 2, 2017
For the price, these utensils have been quite acceptable.
I added a few observations that I wanted to make, pointing out some of the biggest complaints that I have seen in the reviews.

- This product is made from a fibrous plant material. Splinters are inevitable, although the wood splitting may be a bit much but will happen occasionally. The splitting will be exacerbated by letting the utensils soak in water and then let to dry out completely.
- It costs less than $6 US for cryin' out loud! You want better quality? Pay for it.
- I see no flaking lacquer, although they do seem to have a hard time absorbing the mineral oil that I keep applying not to mention that the finish is extremely dull as of none was applied.
- Some of the images depict shiny spots. If you will notice that these glossy areas are located where the material's grain density is as its highest and with very little effort will produce a sheen.
on November 25, 2014
I'm not sure what to say about these in several respects as these are my first set of bamboo utensils. First, I bought them because they were a set of 6, not 5, like most other sets. Second, most of the utensils are made out of more than one piece of bamboo and I don't know if that's standard. I searched Amazon for bamboo utensils that were made out of one piece of bamboo, but couldn't find any. Third, I seasoned them thoroughly with Amazon's "Bayes Mineral Oil Wood Bamboo Protectant," many times -following the directions carefully. They never seemed to absorb much of the food-grade mineral oil. I don't know if that's typical. But they eventually darkened and seemed not as "hard" or "brittle."

I bought these as a gift for a friend. I would buy them again, but let them do the seasoning (lol). I gave them 4 stars because of the unknowns I enumerated above.
on March 19, 2016
Oh, my!! Who is the dingdong that thought it would be a good idea to SHELLAC these otherwise lovely bamboo serving utensils?? Fire that dude, burn ALL those utensils, and start over with some fresh bamboo.... Meanwhile, as Lipper, Int'l is busy doing THAT, you just head on over to Bed Bath & Beyond and find a set of SEVEN utensils for a dollar LESS-- and you guessed it-- they have NO SHELLAC!!! Unbelievable that they don't even put this in the description... I guess some dude realized his mistake too late and didn't want to get fired, so he hoped that (a) you wouldn't notice (??); or (b) you'd be too lazy to return these for a mere $5.99 plus shipping. (And did i mention, they are covered in SHELLAC?? Sorry, I am still in cognitive dissonance over here. Doesn't Amazon normally do better vetting?)
Enthusiast: Cookingon December 25, 2014
I can't complain too much for the price. These utensils feel strong and look nice. However, a couple of them - the stirring spoon with the hole in the middle, and the slotted spoon, have major slivers coming off around the holes, which catch on anything used to clean them - or you hands/food. I'll need to sand and file them to remedy the problem, which is no big deal. However, just a tiny bit better tools or attention to finishing on the part of the manufacturer would have made this a non-issue.
on January 29, 2013
I don't understand why Lipper International or whom ever produces these would think it a good idea to laquer a natural alternative cooking utencil!? ...Really? They were nicely sanded and no splinters were present but that only matters if you plan to use them as decorations or anything else you can think of, except meal prep or cooking, of course...I guess my kids can use them to play with in the sand box.
review image review image review image
1515 comments| 320 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 15, 2015
UPDATE: 10/14/2016 - Still use 3 of the items in this set on a regular basis, the others just on an as needed basis.

Price was good, quality of his product is good. I use them for cooking on a regular basis. I didn't observe any flaws with this product. They seem to be well made. They have a natural color to them. They are easy to wash. I put mine in my dishwasher on occasion. I usually wash all my dishes by hand. I love bamboo products so that is why I purchased these and because of the price being good.
on May 11, 2016
I purchased this bamboo spoon set to use for cooking. When they arrived I found that only the handles had been sanded down. The actual utensil parts had splinters sticking out of the bamboo and were very corse to the touch. I also found a hard glue like substance on the back of one of the spoons used to fill in an indent in the bamboo. These bamboo cooking utensils are not safe for cooking. I do not recommend them unless you plan on using them for visual display only. I am very pleased in Amazons quick response in refunding our purchase cost for this item.