Workplace Solutions Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis bourne Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon Baby Gift Guide

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on June 9, 2011
After reading numerous reviews about this product and the FujiFilm Quick Snap single use camera, I decided to take a chance and go with the Liquid Image 3.1MP Explorer Series Camera Mask. I figured why spend $10 for a single use camera and $10 for film developing when you might not get any good pictures. I also purchased a SanDisk Micro Secure Digital 2 GB Memory Card (don't purchase an 8 GB card because this camera mask does not support it). This was definately one of the best purchases I have ever made. I uploaded some of the pictures that I took on our trip to Maui in June of 2011. The clarity of the pictures was great, even some pictures I took at a greater depth on an overcast evening came out good. The movie mode was outstanding and took some excellent video. Some suggestions I do have while using this product are: (1) Since the camera lens is basically on your forehead, practice using the camera to get an idea of how to position your head when taking pictures. (2) When filming in the movie mode, swim slowly and move your head slowly or people watching your videos will get "seasick". (3) To assist with seeing the Red (picture Mode) or Blue (video mode)light, I would press the mask against my face, slide it down a little ways, and look up to the upper right corner of the mask with my right eye. There is an audible tone (that can be heard underwater) when the camera is turned on, a picture is taken, filming is started or stopped and the camera is turned off. As for battery life, 2 AAA batteries lasted for over 100 pictures and about 10 minutes of video. I changed batteries when going from dive site to dive site to make sure they didn't expire when I was underwater. On the left side of the mask is a small waterproof storage area for spare batteries. Downloading pictures and video was simple on both our laptop and PC. I would definately recommend this product to anyone.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on March 4, 2013
I have now purchased three of these for various trips, and I have been very satisfied with their performance. There are some things you should know about the product before you buy, however.

First, the camera really does require a lot of light. The lens has a fixed aperture, so the only way it can let more light in is to leave the shutter open longer. If you are snorkeling over reefs in the shadows, expect the pictures to be blurry. Video, however, does work pretty well for darker scenes.

The camera uses little lights inside the mask to indicate what mode you are in and beeps to let you know that buttons are being pushed. I recommend playing with the different modes a lot to get the feel for how they work. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty logical. The beep can scare schools of smaller fish, I have found.

Use lithium batteries whenever possible. You get way more life than alkaline. This should be obvious, but the difference in this particular device is worth mentioning.

Use the supplied silicon sealant on the seals. It doesn't take a lot, and it's easy to do. Just coat them with the tip of your finger before each trip. This gives you an opportunity to clean any debris or sand from the camera at the same time.

Do NOT overtighten the seal caps. They have a little arrow to show you how far to twist the caps. If you overtighten the caps, you will damage the seals. You would have to try pretty hard to damage the camera this way, but I can see how someone might try to wrench it down with too much force. More is not better.

I had low expectations of being able to use the camera in any other setting than snorkeling, but I have ended up using it a lot on the beach. It's fairly easy to aim and the results have a kind of oversaturated vintage look. Some of my favorite photos of trips to Cayman and the Exumas are from this camera - taken on land.

General underwater photography tips:

* Move slowly and smoothly. Again, in low light, your pictures will be blurry. If you can remain reasonably still, you can reduce this effect (or, just look for a sunnier place to shoot).
* For video, try to pick a fish and follow it. This can be fun if you can avoid startling the creature. Some of my best videos were from me following a fish or a crab. Be patient and smooth, and your results will be better.
* Get used to the "point of aim" for the camera. The crosshairs only work at a certain distance for framing your subject (and they work very differently underwater than they do on land). My biggest problem was not keeping my head fully submerged when taking video.
* Take a lot of photos and have fun. One out of 50 will amaze you. I have a new respect for underwater photography.

The last sail trip we took, I left it with the captain of our boat. He had watched me use it during the trip and saw the pictures I downloaded each day and loved it. It was cheap enough that I didn't mind leaving it as a fun gratuity. Oh, by the way, the mask itself works well, as just a mask.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

"A very special boy and a key member of the Zissou Society."
on January 14, 2011
This dive mask was a Christmas present for my 11 yr old son. He is totally thrilled with it - I think it's his favorite gift. He's been using the mask in the pool, can't wait to get to the lake this summer. And I'm very impressed with the quality of the photos & videos he has taken!
on May 30, 2012
After reading the reviews about this camera/video mask,I was some what hesitant to buy it,but the majority of the bad reviews were either people who bought the mask for a child or maybe did not know how to use it properly(read the directions).Like alot of the comments it was difficult to tell if you were on video or camera mode at first.I used this item while on a trip to Maui.I used it everyday while snorkeling,there were days when the photos were to dark,but that was not the fault of the camera,it was the sun or clouds moving to make the light under the water more evasive.That can be difficult.This is one of the best sporting goods/electronics I have bought in years.
The camera did not suck batteries like some comments,at least that was the case with me.I had bought a ton of batteries just in case.I was in Maui for 8 days and used 3 sets of 2 batteries(and when I changed them they werent dead,but I wanted to not be caught with a dead camera while out in the water)
I feel this is a great investment for those who like to snorkel,I'm glad I bought it.I would like to eventually buy the one with the higher pixels or one of the more professional ones by the same company.Liquid Image has a fantastic product here.
on October 6, 2011
We loved the camera mask. It was used on vacation where the sea was clear and fish, and reef shark, in abundance. Pictures are very clear, and easy to download to a PC. Installing batteries and the extra memory card is simple.

The only critisism is of the design where the on/off (+ transfer from pictures to video) button is very close to the picture taking button, so sometimes the camera was turned off by mistake. Also the camera seemed to turn itself off after a period of non-use. While the picture mode shows by a red light, and the video mode shows by blue light, this was not easily seen by the wearer, so it was not clear which mode the camera was in. Having said that, as stated, we got some excellent pictures!
on December 26, 2014
I was looking for a new mask for snorkling. For a lark I looked to see what a mask with a camera would cost. I was amazed to find this priced so low. I tried it. The mask works great for me. It takes very good pictures considering. Operation takes time to learn so be sure to practice before going on vaction. The memory is limited to 2G so you won't be able to record for hours but you only go swimming a couple of hours at a time. The micro SD chips are cheap but be careful with them. I broke one taking it out of the camera (my fault but relatively easy to do) and lost the pictures. Buy the premium batteries as they suggest. Extra ones as well. Also practice getting the object in the center of your lens. I had a lot of off center pictures in the beginning.

It is great fun to have the pictures so I encourage you to try this mask!
on November 18, 2012
Bought one a couple of years now went to Cuba and had a blast, pictures came out great and the mask itself worked well. Looking forward to another trip to Hawaii this winter.
on November 9, 2011
Excellent product. Makes underwater picture taking a breeze. Only drawback is the optional light source is expensive. I would highly recommend this product for anyone who snorkles.
on November 7, 2011
These waterproof video camera goggles really work well. They take good quality video and pictures given they are only 3.1 MP. Of course they do not record sound so don't be surprised. When you add the optional storage card, you can take tons of pictures and video (I bought a 1 Gig card separately). The 5 MP version takes better quality pictures and video but costs much more, but you get what you pay for. I'd recommend either product, I have them both and they both work well.
on June 6, 2013
I had great hopes for this snorkel mask, because I love to snorkel and I love taking pictures.

I tried using it on a recent trip to the Galapagos, but found that no matter what I tried, I could not get an effective seal to prevent leaking around my mustache. I do snorkeling with a mask I've owned for some years and know the tricks required to get an effective seal - basically using either a silicone gel or vaseline on my mustache and voila, no leaks! But not with this mask. The plastic used in the mask portion that conforms to your face is just too soft. Fortunately, I had brought my old mask with me, just in case, and I was able to snorkel successfully with it. But alas, no photos of swimming with penguins.

And the few photos I was able to take with the camera mask before feeling like I was drowning were poor quality.

So for me, this mask was a total fail. They make a more expensive mask, perhaps that has better quality molded plastic.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question