Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Lisa Steele
One of the most prolific and well-respected poultry authors of all time, Lisa Steele has made a name for herself as the darling of the backyard chicken keeping community sharing common sense advice that is not only fun and practical, but also time-tested and reliable. A 5th generation chicken keeper, Maine Master Gardener, avid DIYer and coop to kitchen® cook, Lisa is the founder of the Better Homes & Gardens award-winning website Fresh Eggs Daily®, the country's most well-known chicken keeping brand, and has been dubbed "Queen of the Coop" by the media.
Her books have sold more than 100,000 copies and readers delight in them as she inspires both the newcomer and the seasoned veteran to be better chicken keepers and shares her unique and creative approach to raising backyard flocks naturally using herbs, edible flowers and other organic methods. Lisa's passion for the country life shines whether it's making her all-natural coop cleaning spray, hanging curtains in her coop or sprinkling aromatic herbs to freshen the nest boxes. Lisa provides first-hand know-how to keep your flock in tip-top condition from the small farmstead in Maine she shares with her husband, flock of chickens, ducks and geese, corgi and indoor/outdoor barn cat.
She's been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Parade magazine, USA Today and on Inc.com, as well as in American Farmhouse Style, Country Living, The Cottage Journal and with Martha Stewart in Down East magazine. Television appearances include the Hallmark Home and Family show, The View, Cheddar, Dr.Oz, P. Allen Smith's Garden Style on PBS, Good Day Sacramento, Good Morning Maine and Bill Green's Maine among others. Lisa also hosts her own "chicken lifestyle" TV show titled "Welcome to my Farm" on NBC in Maine and New Hampshire.
In her free time, Lisa can usually be found cooking and baking using fresh produce from her garden and fresh eggs from her coop or curled up in a corner reading or knitting. She loves pretty things, good coffee, classical music and snow - especially at Christmas time.
Books include: DIY Chicken Keeping, 101 Chicken Keeping Hacks, Gardening with Chickens, Let's Hatch Chicks, Fresh Eggs Daily: Raising Happy Healthy Chickens Naturally and Duck Eggs Daily: Raising Happy Healthy Ducks Naturally. She is currently working on her seventh book which will be released in spring 2022 by Harper Collins.
Learn more at: www.fresheggsdaily.com
Email to: email@example.com
Customers Also Bought Items By
Welcome to a world where chickens and gardens coexist!
Join Lisa Steele, chicken-keeper extraordinaire and founder of Fresh Eggs Daily, on a unique journey through the garden. Start by planning your garden and learning strategies and tips for keeping your plants safe while they grow. Plant with purpose, choosing from a dozen plans for theme gardens such as Orange Egg Yolks or Nesting Box Herbs. Or choose a design that's filled with edibles - sharing the bounty with your family and your feathered friends. Then comes the fun part: enjoy the harvest, even let the chickens graze!
Lisa's friendly writing, together with inspirational photos and illustrations, will have you rolling up your sleeves and reaching for your gardening tools. Lisa also covers a range of topics just for chicken-keepers, including:
- Chickens and composting
- Using chickens to aerate and till
- Coop window boxes
- Plants to avoid when you have chickens
- Lists of the most valuable crops and herbs
- Advice on how to harvest and use many of the plants
- And much more!
Whether you're an experienced chicken keeper, master gardener, or just getting into these two wonderful hobbies, Gardening with Chickens is an indispensable guide for a harmonious homestead.
Join Lisa Steele, chicken-keeper extraordinaire and founder of Fresh Eggs Daily, on a behind-the-coop tour like you've never seen. Lisa has spent years figuring out the best ways to keep chickens healthy, the natural way, and she's collected more than just your average tips.
101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily includes simple ideas for re-using and upcycling old items, as well as detailed information on using natural ingredients to enhance and improve your chickens' lives without breaking the bank.
This guide includes these handy ideas and much more:
- Feeding: Try homemade scratch, growing fodder, or frozen treats
- The Run: Make a chicken swing or DIY scarecrow
- Chicken Health: Find ideas for boredom busters, homemade salves, and herbal teas
- The Coop: Keep it clean with a natural coop cleaner and make your own coop curtains
- The Garden: Build an herb drying rack or brew a batch of chicken poop “tea”
The chapters are packed with a variety of ideas, covering every skill level:
- The Basics: Lisa will tell you what tools you absolutely need, the ins and outs of pallets, and a few special skills, like how to transfer lettered designs to wood.
- Quick and Easy Projects: Get started with projects that take minutes or hours, not days! From a decorative cutting board coop sign and paned window coop mirror to more functional projects like a clothespin herb drying rack and dropping board, you're sure to find the right starter project.
- Handy Projects: Ready to take on a slightly more challenging build? Try the removable coop ladder roost, boot tree stand, feed dolly, chick-sized jungle gym, or chicken-proof herb garden.
- Pallet Projects: What's better than DIY projects? DIY projects made from free wood! Use pallets in all forms (whole, partial, and boards) for the projects in this chapter. Make a coop tool holder, chick roosting bar, swinging bench, feeding station, coop shutters, compost bin, and so much more.
- Weekend Projects: More time doesn't necessarily mean frustrating or too difficult. The ambitious, yet easy-to-follow, projects in this chapter include a sliding barn coop door, a-frame integration pen, and a roadside egg stand.