Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon September 3, 2013
This is necessary for removing the screws that hold on the rotors in Hondas and other import makes. Yes, there are other tricks you can use, and I've used most of them, but this will save you a lot of time every time you do brakes.

This tool is pretty tough, and you can beat on it all day and you won't scratch it. The carrying case is a nice touch, it would have been nicer with a metal box, but I guess we don't do that in the 21st century.

As others have mentioned, you put it in the screw head. Twist it in the direction you want the screw/fastener to move, and strike it with a hammer. Do measured constant blows as they are more effective than trying to hit it as hard as you can. Check the bit is in the hole *every time* as it will want to jump out. And of course, use penetrating oil. It makes a huge difference.

Finally, buy extra bits, especially the Phillips bits; you will crack the tips off, guaranteed.
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 3, 2015
I bought this tool to remove Honda brake rotor screws. This tool does the job perfectly.
1. The tool is heavy and tough. It can take abuse from a large hammer.
2. It comes with a removable adapter for the screw bits. If you want to use regular sockets, you can.
3. The part that rotates has very smooth action. Cheaper units can sometimes bind, making them less effective.
4. It can be reversed to tighten.
5. It's made in the USA
6. It has a good case.

1. It comes with a pretty decent layer of grease on almost every part of the tool. This is likely for rust prevention. I didn't bother removing it, because I want to keep it from rusting, so I just wore gloves.

Bottom line? BUY IT. Now that I can remove the rusty rotor screws with ease, I might actually install new rotor screws after a brake job instead of just tossing the old ones.
Top Contributor: Photographyon November 22, 2015
The impact itself is pretty good quality for Lisle. I have used for a couple years now and have no complaints about the impact. It is similar to the more expensive impacts from MAC and SnapOn. The bits however are very cheap and break often. I have replace probably 4 or 5 in the last couple years. No big deal, the tool trucks usually keep them in stock and swap them out for free. But beside the fact that they break, they are not precision made for a perfect fit that wont destroy smaller, or seized screws.

What I mean is compare the phillips bit to a Snap On equivalent. THe more expensive bit is designed to positively engage in the screw head, and remove it without destroying it, or twisting the bit. The Lisle bit does not come close to this, and will start to twist after awhile, casuing it to fit even worse, and start to damage screws.

My advice is buy this set from Lisle, and when the bits start to break and twist, replace them with SnapOn bits.
on July 25, 2017
Just received it today and had to test it out. While there is what appears to be a push button on the side of the impact driver, I found that this does nothing. I had thought that button was what would be to set to tighten or loosen and that the button was stuck. I put some lubricate spray and tried to push the button either way, but it wouldn't move. So I went online and seen some videos of other very similar impact drivers, and realized all you have to do is twist the end about 1/8 of a turn in the direction you want. Left to loosen --Right to tighten. So I put a screw in the vise and made note of the position of the head of the screw before testing. I proceeded to hammer in the loosen direction. It did work but in very very small increments. So while I haven't actually tested this on a true seized fastener, it does seem to work. No directions were included. Also note that this is a 3/8" socket drive with a included 3/8 drive bit holder. So if you have 1/4 inch bits, "which most of mine are", you will have to reduce it down to work. Hope to actually test this on a stuck fastener soon and put it to the real test.
on February 26, 2012
If you're trying to remove big, old philips head screws - such as the door striker plate in an old car - just buy this tool and don't look back. It works - end of discussion!

Using this tool is very simple. Here's what I did to break loose the screws in a 35+ year old door striker plate:

1. Use the biggest philips bit that will fit snugly into your philips head screw.
2. Get a large hammer, preferably a small sledge or big heavy claw hammer
3. Use a pencil to lightly mark the the screw head with the surrounding material (so you can see when you start making progress)
4. Insert the tool into philips head screw and TURN IT THE DIRECTION YOU WANT IT TO GO - it will only move a little, maybe 10-deg or so rotation
5. Hold the tool firmly and give it a good solid whack with your hammer (yes, it will bounce out of the screw head - this is normal)
6. Check your mark to see if the screw moved (it feels great to finally see progress!)
7. Repeat until the screw has rotated about 45-deg (1/8 turn)
8. Using the TOOL, see if you can turn the screw BY HAND
9. If you can't turn it yet, repeat steps 4-8 until you can back out the screw by hand

I'm sure it works for other purposes, but this one use was enough to justify the purchase for me.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 18, 2012
Instructions are on the label on the underside of the plastic carry case. It appears sturdy built however a few small things to note. Firstly, after each strike, you need to rotate the handle fully in the direction you want the screw to move otherwise the drive does not engage as it seems to back off after each strike. If you just keep hitting it without applying a bit of manual twisting, the head simply moves in and out without rotating after the first hit. It's not a big deal, just remember to apply a light twist in direction you want the screw to move between hits with the hammer. If you forget, there is some hard to see engraving on the handle which way to twist.. Secondly, the corrosion protective oil coating smells pretty off. Suggest wiping it down with Lanolin protectant or similar before use otherwise it makes your hands smell awful. Lastly, the removable bit holder head is not particularly high quality in finish. When you look inside the end, it looks like the metal has been pressed and not cleanly machined. It's only aesthetics, it won't affect the performance in use.
on October 8, 2014
I just want to start out by saying this thing is awesome. It took my Kia Optima's brake rotor screws out like a newly born child had put them in. This tool definitely feels to be well made and put together, and seems like it will last a long time.

One other thing I'd like to address is some people said that their tool looked like it had been used with "hammer marks" and and oily substance on it. I uploaded some pictures and yes the black coating on the outside does have its scratches and marks but come on, it's a tool you paid the price of a large pizza for and your going to hit it with a hammer. And that oily substance? Its good for your face and skin rub it all around. I assume its either from lubricating the internals or the knurling/tooling process. And if you want something pretty well that snappy tool truck has one for the tune of about 12 times as much.

But really just buy this tool it's great, it's my favorite, least frustrating tool when changing brakes or wheel bearings.

EDIT: Well I tried to upload images but for some reason I cannot. If I can in the future I will to show what I am talking about in greater detail. Also mine had a small metal nub on the back when I got it. I'm not sure if they all do but if they do, then that's a sure sign yours is new because as soon as you hit it with a hammer it flattens out.

EDIT#2: I had to delete my previous review to finally add some pictures
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on February 8, 2018
A necessary torque shock tool for those stubborn screws and bolts. Proper set up for this tool is necessary for satisfactory results. Improper use will ruin the head of the fastener just as quick as a manual attempt. If you have ever used one you know what I am writing about. Screws on disc rotors are a good test for this tool. It handled the ones on my 2013 Honda Pilot front rotors in short order.
on March 21, 2016
I used this on Mazda rotor screws, and compared it against a impact tool from a famous tool truck. I really didn't notice a difference between the two. Longevity likely favors the more expensive tool, but I don't change rotors often enough to worry about tool life.
Following the directions exactly, Impact tools work okay. If your rotor screws are really corroded, you'll want to buy a penetrating aerosol like JB-80, or the stuff from Sea-Foam and use the steps below:
1. Spray the screws fully.
2. Apply the tool like the directions say, but instead of applying torque, keep the handle in the middle of it's rotation.
3. Solidly hit the impact tool 3-15 times with a sledge hammer (3lbs Engineer hammer is what i had handy).
4. Spray the screws with oil again.
5. Re-apply the tool, torque the tool handle the same direction you want the screw to turn, and solidly hit the tool repeatedly until the screws start to move.
If it takes more than a few hits before the screw starts to loosen, restart these instructions from step 2.
Starting out the job by hitting the screw straight into head made it take literally 5 times less hammer blows before the screws loosened.
on March 10, 2018
I bought this product in 2016 and I finally put it to the test. Much to my surprise, I was able to loosen those stubborn rotor brake screws with ease using this tool and replace the worn out rotors on my Honda Odyssey saving me a fortune. Next job, replace the rear brake rotors. I definitely recommend this tool to all DIY auto mecahnics.