Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 7, 2017
Edward and Anita are after supernaturals that are killing flawless wereanimals in Seattle. They have to contend with laymen with ego problems, Red Queen that want to rule, body guards, and the mother of darkness wanting her body. Body count is still pretty high and Anita is homesick.. Well-written storyline with well-developed characterization make this a book with reading over frequently. Adult readers due sexual and violent content.
on August 1, 2011
I will just add my voice to the mob. I love LKH, I love Anita. I have for the last several years wrinkled my nose at people who say the series is declining. But I'm starting to agree with them.

This one just fell flat for me. I tried to care. I couldn't. The long list of secondary characters bores me- why bother to keep up with Anitas 35 lovers. She'll get a new one in a few pages anyway. I miss the core characters- can I get a little Richard please or Jean Claude? Hell even Micah. Is Anita ever going to raise a zombie again or even reference that part of her power?

I do love Edward/Ted. I was glad to have a book with more of him in it.

I'll read the next one. I can't help but try and see it through after reading so many. I hope LKH pulls out a story from the muddled mess this has become.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
VINE VOICEon June 8, 2011
Wow, writing this review is somewhat difficult. If this was the only book I'd read in the series, I'd find absolutely no reason to want to read any of the others. But as it is, I've read all of the books, enjoyed the majority of them and would keep reading just to see what's happening with the characters.

So from the standpoint of reading this as a stand-alone book, I'd probably have to rate it 1 star. Rating it as a part of a series where I use to be so anxious to get my hands on the next book, I'd have to give it a 3.

The story seemed to wander all over the place. The reason Anita and Edward are in Seattle is due to the apparent serial killings of weretigers. All of those occur before the book begins, so there are no crime scenes for the reader to witness. They can't tell anyone that they know the Harlequin are behind it and why, including when it becomes obvious that Anita is the target. So the plot drifts around to who is in charge of the warrants, how to track the killers, people in charge believing Anita sleeps with everyone but them, she's still upset over having to kill Haven and her need for security. And of course since Edward is on scene so is Olaf and all of the fear and contempt that come along with his presence.

Some things weren't planned very well. We never saw a reason for why Anita should still be upset over having to kill Haven. We were told he was her lover but never saw it. What we did see was her lioness' attraction to him, but as a human she didn't particularly like him. So why is she still having problems over it? There's also a conclusion for another character that just comes out of thin air. Something needed to be mentioned at the beginning of the book at the very least, or mentioned in a prior book for a more realistic outcome.

And I believe a number of women could be offended at Anita's belief that she has the perfect type of figure that God intended a grown woman to have.

What I liked was the continuing story, the new setting, how Anita dealt with a couple of issues and the action was good. It's been awhile since sex hasn't dominated the story and the one and only sex scene was appropriate and actually written better than any the author has written in a long time. One new character is added to the stable, but I actually like this guy AND the fact that before feeding the ardeur on him, they had a conversation so he would know the possible consequences to him. And I liked how she handled the major threat at the end. I wondered when that particular power would be used as a weapon. Anita doesn't acquire any new powers this time.

There's a great deal of dialogue throughout the book, but thankfully we aren't seeing things talked to death before action takes place.
2 helpful votes
on August 24, 2017
LKH has a niche. I like adult content, sex, violence, badasses. If I could just find another author that was willing... And you keep thinking this has so much potential and she just keeps putting out the same old add another power add another lover, and the way she has been wrapping up the bad guys is so lame. Seriously just lame. But she is the only one writing anything like it so here I go to get the next one. We just need George rr Martin to come in here and burn the house down. Then we can see a real book with consequences and depth.
on November 18, 2017
The book was interesting but the ending was choppy. Much of the book had so much scene description I thought she was just trying to add pages. Then the end felt thrown together like she ran out of time.
on March 10, 2015
I don't know why I keep reading these! Stories are shallow and full of ponderings and observations about clothes, hair, insatiable lust, over and over again, book after book.
I barely remember why I liked these to start with. Laurell K, please work on your plots, if the stories were better perhaps you wouldn't have to fill all our pages with nonsense.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on July 14, 2016
I'm not sure why because I was never a big fan of either vampire stories, werewolf stories or stories with a lot of sex ( and I do mean a LOT), but for some reason I can't put these books down !!!! I have now read every Anita Blake series book published so far, and I'm (trying to ) patiently await the next book. Someone has to tell Laurell K. Hamilton to write faster...lol !!!
2 helpful votes
on September 4, 2017
Wonder as usual. My daughter wonders why I read something I don't love after reading all her books. It's hard to leave home.
on August 31, 2017
Finally Anita comes face to face with some of her worst enemies. The horror level really ratchets up in this one.
on June 9, 2011
This is only the second review I've ever taken the time to type. And this is for a good reason, this book...lacked, lots. Whatever, get over whatever sex orgy thing folks have about the series, or bitching/whining about it, I like the characters (and the sex, I'll admit it). I love Anita and even with her ever changing traits, this book sucked.

I even like Richard! I'm in the minority there too! But, holy moly the ending was abrupt, all that build up to the final battle against the ultimate evil one, summed up in one page (or is that 2 on my Kindle, who cares?).

Did I actually just read TWO chapters about her arm cut healing? Really? Best part was the hunt in the woods, and Edward with a rocket. Olaf is scary, and even scarier now (but do I want to dedicate another book to this?).

All the characters I've grown to like/hate were missing in this one. As much as I love Edward, the storyline with him was even weird (did they actually have a huge portion of conversation dedicated to how Edward would kill everyone if Anita died? Was that a chapter?)

In the end, I'm afraid I won't get the next one. I can get disappointment anywhere, man, don't want it when I'm paying for it. But then again, I have sucker written all over my face, apparently.
45 helpful votes