- Audible Audiobook
- Listening Length: 4 hours and 59 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Mission Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: August 1, 2017
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0742KSCBL
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
How to Listen So People Will Talk: Build Stronger Communication and Deeper Connections Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
|New from||Used from|
Audible Audiobook, Unabridged
|Free with your Audible trial|
$14.95/mo after 30 days. Cancel anytime
Sold and delivered by Audible, an Amazon company
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. People feel loved and valued if we actively listen to them.
2. Learning to listen is the best way to cultivate and deepen relationships.
3. Definition and the importance of awareness and the importance of humility in relationships.
4. 5 reasons to listen before you try to fix a person's problem.
5. 3 questions to ask to keep a person talking and keep you from trying to fix their problem.
6. Types of inviting nonverbal communication and suggestions for observing others' nonverbal communication.
7. 3 truths about conflict and how Jesus dealt with conflict.
8. Tips to avoid conflict in the first place and suggestions for dealing with toxic people.
9. Definition and importance of empathy in relationships.
10. 5 principles of being available to others.
The book is very readable, entertaining, and informative. I will definitely refer to the title often in the future. Recommended. I was given a review copy by Bethany House in exchange for a fair review.
The part of the book that had the greatest impact on me was the section explaining how humility is a requirement to being a good listener. Harling believes growth requires getting honest feedback. Humility is essential to listening well and getting the feedback we need.
The book includes lots of practical suggestions about life in general. If you want to appear more inviting to other people, smile more and walk with a bounce in your step. If you want to assess the emotional state of others, body language tips are given to increase our observation skills. She also has a great chapter on navigating conflict, including good suggestions for dealing with toxic people.
Harling includes many practical ideas. For example, she has questions to ask ourselves when we feel like we are compelled to give advice rather than compassionately listen. She has ideas for drawing out other people's stories. She has a great section on the necessity of being self aware and how to get there.
We Christians are admonished to be quick to listen and slow to speak (James 1:19). That is not an easy task in our egotistical society. Harling offers biblically based practical ideas for being good listeners. If you want people to feel heard and loved, I highly recommend this book to you. In addition of great content in the text, she has added questions at the end of each chapter to help us listen to God, our heart, and others. Mastering the art of being a good listener comes with a cost but the rewards are great.
Food for thought: “...it is impossible to be a good listener without developing a humble spirit.” (Loc 453/2726)
I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
Most recent customer reviews
Very well written and insightful.Read more
Becky Harling offers multiple practical strategies to improve our...Read more
Best for Ages: 18 and up
I love to talk, but the Bible clearly says that we are...Read more