Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Little Angels: Abc's
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

Format: DVD|Change

on February 8, 2012
KIDS FIRST! reviewed two DVDs in the Little Angels series: ABC's and Animals. In ABC's, the main characters, Alex and Zoe, are introduced to the Angels who help them learn to read by showing how you can recognize letters by their shapes and relate them to real life images. The angels use concepts from the Bible to help them remember. For instance, "J" looks like a fishing hook, like one you might use to catch the Big Fish that ate Jonah - which starts with a "J." The angels also help Zoe and Alex appreciate each other and treat each other fairly, with honesty and without jealousy.

In Little Angels Animals, the angels make Bible stories come to life, allowing the children to interact with its characters while learning lessons of cooperation and hard work. Throughout, the message that "God Loves You," helps them navigate their feelings and overcome fears and adversity. When Zoe is afraid of lightning and climbs to the top bunk, she learns from Jonah that facing her fears is less scary than not doing what God wants you to do, and as she chants "God loves me," she is able to reach the top bunk and overcome her anxiety.

Young children from religious families will find particular delight in seeing Alex and Zoe as they are helped by angels and get to talk to characters they've only read about - or, since they are preschool-aged, been told about. It is comforting to children of this age to feel as if they are never really alone and they are always loved.

Each vignette is short, three fit nicely into a 30 minute DVD, and you can choose a single episode, or story, at a time. The DVDs also include some special features. Roma Downey explains her underlying ideas about creating the series and gives parents tips for watching along with their child. You can watch music videos covering the topics of each of the stories and animated with images from each.
on May 19, 2012
This was a gift. I am a Christian parent and fully intend to instill Biblical values in my children, but I insist on excellence and quality from the media I use as educational tools. Little Angels no more teaches children the ABC's than Baby Mozart gives babies higher IQs - which is to say, your child may benefit from some vague exposure to the ABC's, but they're certainly not going to memorize the alphabet using this DVD. Not even close. How does Little Angels fail educationally?

- Long, confusing rhymes - Every letter is given its own rhyme, associated with a different Bible story or principle. To put this in perspective, imagine having someone introduce you to twenty-six different stories you'd never heard before in the space of oh, about 30 minutes. Would you remember any of them? Or would it just be a confusing blur? Or to put it another way, each letter gets a two-line rhyme that's supposed to help you remember the alphabet. How long would it take *you* to memorize a 52-line poem? Wouldn't it just be easier to memorize, say, 26 letters?

- Ridiculous visual comparisons - Each letter is also compared to the shape of some common item. I am not sure who thought this list up, but clearly they haven't spent much time with children. Or handling actual physical objects. For example, the letter "D" is "half of a ring." Half of a ring? My two-and-a-half year old sees that ring and says, "O!" I'm pretty sure he's right. The letter "E" is the shape of... six dominoes arranged in the shape of an E. What?! The letter "B" is a sideways book (try to visualize that and see what you come up with, I didn't have much luck), and the letter "P" is a "B" with the lower half removed. As if my child didn't have enough confusion between B and P to begin with!

My child DOES enjoy watching this video, but when I let him watch TV, I want it to be beneficial somehow. I know when he's learning something because, for example, after he watches his Sesame Street alphabet video he walks around the house saying letters and singing his version of the alphabet. I can hear him improving. Other videos teach him new words and concepts that crop up in our every day lives. He's watched this one a couple of times and so far I've seen no evidence whatsoever that he gets anything out of it. This one's going in the closet.
on January 14, 2016
All the little angels are great for preschoolers. They help teach basic skills and incorporate God and morals at the same time and don't last very long so the kids aren't in front of the TV for hours.
on September 5, 2013
I love this, my son feels so secure saying his ABC's since he hears other kids saying them. I like how they incorporate the Bible into it and how important it is to be obedient, this DVD has definitely helped in the learning area of what we're teaching our son, he see's that other kids are learning the same thing on the DVD which helps a lot.
on April 11, 2012
Saw Roma Downey on TV talking about her DVD's. Used to work with her. Lovely lady. Purchased two sets for my two grandchildren homes. My 5 yr.old here watched and was interested. Seemed to wonder on religious content but OK. Maybe there was a bit much religious content ie. 'J for fish hook and Jesus'. I am grateful to be a christian and agree that children need more time in their homes with parents @ earlier age. Cute animation. Can view online/recommend doing this first.
on February 1, 2012
I have these for when I babysit my little cousins, they LOVE them. It keeps them busy, and its a fun, clean, teaching series. I hope they continue to make these, we need more like this!
on February 1, 2012
Thank you thank you thank you. We have been looking for a product like this for some time. My daughter is so engaged in this product that this is my new "go to" gift for her friends. She already has her favorite angel...DIna....because she carries an I Pad. My daughter doesn't even realize she is learning. I also bought the CDs which we listen to every time we get in the car now. Looking forward to seeing the new 123 video.
on June 13, 2012
I was excited for my daughter to get this DVD but it wasn't what we had hoped it would be. It was short and it just didn't keep her attention. Good idea but bad execution.
on February 27, 2013
Love, love, love. My kids watch this on the Kindle and I bought them for my church as well, they are great - they capture audiences of many different ages!
on April 3, 2013
Just doesn't compare to the "Tag" Leapfrog videos in my opinion. My 3 year old loves those but could care less about this video. Bummer!