Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,260 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,398 reviews
on August 6, 2015
There are a few movies that deserve way more respect and attention then they got. Little Big Man falls in that field. Similar story telling style as award wining Forest Gump, and every bit as equal in my honest opinion. This movie tells the story of a boy who lost his family, was raised by the natives, and brought back into society as a adult. It gives the other side of the story when it comes to American history, the one forgotten. The side of history that shows George Armstrong Custer for the insane man he was, and how wrong he did the Indians. Perhaps that's why this movie is lesser known, because it's the cold hard truth, but if you liked Pocahontas, then this should be next on your list.
I like to watch it around Thanksgiving, because it just sorta of falls in place the way Die Hard is to Christmas for me.
This movie is on my top 100 list.
on July 15, 2016
I have been waiting for this to become available. This is a hilarious movie. Dustin Hoffman is priceless in this movie. And Cheif Dan George as usual points out the plight of the Native American by poking fun gently and respectfully. Great movie to enjoy on a rainy afternoon!!
on January 13, 2017
Superb. Style and substance. Exceptional work from all involved. Great stagecoach stunts (Hal Needham), great costumes, set dressing and design. Hoffman, Dunaway, Jeff Corey (Wild Bill), Richard Mulligan (Custer) and the profound Chief Dan George all deliver sterling performances. Even Martin Balsam as the cynical disappearing huckster has his moment.

The story of Jack Crabbe is not to be taken lightly, for it is the story of Human Beings, of which there are far too few. While other films from the last century may seem dated, this one does not. It is as pertinent today as it ever was and doesn't hit a wrong note in any of its 2+ hours running time.
on December 12, 2015
One of Dustin Hoffman's greatest movie's. If you have not seen this movie before then you are in for a very good time, laughs and tears. Dustin play's a 120 year old Indian fighter that is doing an interview with a reporter in a retirement home in the 1970's. He explains how he came to know Gen. George Custer and Wild Bill Hickok. I believe that this may have been 'Chief Dan George' last movie. I especially enjoyed his gun fighter period. One must know the proper way of going all 'Snake Eyed' don't you know? Do not miss this movie.
on July 1, 2017
An amazing Arthur Penn classic. With each viewing, the film becomes more relevant. Dustin Hoffman is at the peak of his Strasberg methodology.
He drops into each character with complete abandonment and it works every time. We can't help but believe Jack Crab's story. A remarkable film. Chief Dan George is amazing and well worthy of the Academy recognition. Richard Mulligan creates a masterpiece for Custer. And Faye Dunaway is nothing but original and hot! Great, great movie!
on January 31, 2016
This movie is very funny. It has so much to offer; humor, History, accurate portrayal of Native Americans. Considering that this movie was in 1970, I think it did a good job of portraying Native Americans for once. At that time Natives were only being portrayed by bad stereotypes and historical inaccuracies. Besides Chief Dan George, I didn't like that they didn't use Native Americans to portray Indians; but it was the first movie I had seen that offered a version of truth about Natives, and I immensely appreciate that about this movie. I loved the humor, acting, and historical scenarios. I recommend this movie, if you haven't seen it or even if you have, see it again. You won't be disappointed if for nothing else than the laughs.
on December 29, 2009
A happy/sad movie slash history lesson in the guise of an old man recalling his younger days growing up in the old west. The scenes between Jack Crabb (Hoffman) and Gen Custer were my favorite. The actor who played Custer was hilarious and perfectly cast for the part. Actually all the acting and scenes in this movie were well-done. I thought it started out kind of slow at first but found I was getting right into it after a little while. This movie could probably be most appreciated by anyone familiar with the famous/infamous figures of the the American old west, and the movie is something of a marvel in that it seems to bring the old stories alive through the (tall?) tale of the narrator (Jack Crabb) who at one time or another seemed to have crossed paths with all of them. As a testament to the rape of Native American culture this film is very moving, as the on-screen recreation of genocide usually is. It is a humorous picture overall, though while cheerful, retains a tragi-comic edge throughout. Lots of off the cuff unintentional hilarity in lines like "We are even now - I paid you the life I owe you and the next time we meet I can kill you without becoming an evil person."

The scope is epic and the movie runs at 139 minutes. Besides the Jack Crabb/Custer scenes ("Muleskinner!"), also bigger than life is the tale of Jack's taking on 3 other wives at the request of his first ("I knew you were a good man."). I read the book before I saw the movie and the book was excellent. I was happy to find that the story also worked well as a film.
on April 28, 2017
This looks great in Amazon HD video - wow! Little Big Man is a great movie in every way, from script (adapted from Thomas Berger's novel) to acting to camerwork. To my mind, it's one of the best movies in a decade that became a cinematic powerhouse. I saw it in the theater back in 1970, and several times after that in repertory movie houses. To my mind, it hasn't aged at all. A true classic!
I have always enjoyed this film and finally got it on Blu Ray after many years of not seeing it. The last time I watched it, I had it on VHS. Plenty of opinions have been proffered on the acting, historical accuracy and plots so I will not be redundant and give the same old summaries. Instead, as I always do, I will focus strictly upon the actual quality of the BR. Keep in mind that the quality of what you see and hear also depends upon the quality of TV monitor you are using and its accompanying home theater processor and speakers. I have a pretty high end, esoteric system and am judging the Blu Ray off of that.

VIDEO....
A fairly old movie originally shot on film, it still retains its theatrical legs. The transfer to video displays life like colors in all areas, i.e. skin, environment as it pertains to the grassy plains. Color resolution is good and does not pop as many of today's films do. Blacks do not go very deep but contrast is fairly good. Small details tend to vary depending upon the scene. Close ups of Dustin Hoffman clearly show distinct skin pores, yet scenes with the prairie or hair on a persons head tend to be slightly soft as film often creates. The average Mbps rate is in the high teens and low 20's. There is a slight grain throughout but this is only noticeable when the sky is predominant in the image. All in all, the transfer is quite good but I clearly do not believe that this was remastered for BR but simply transcoded. Never the less, I saw no artifacting or hairs, scratches or any other issue with the transfer. A good film but you will probably not see that much of a significant improvement between the Standard Def format and the BR.

AUDIO...
The audio is a lossless DTS 5.1 which creates a transparent dialogue for the listener. However, there is a very, very little use of the surrounds in your home theater setup. Only at the end of the film, during the Custer's Last Stand scene was there any real panning of the audio between the front and rear stages. The LFE channel gets no use at all since there really wasn't any deep bass recorded. I do wish they had remastered the soundtrack as there would have been plenty of opportunities in this film for discreet channeling.

EXTRAS...
There are none other than a trailer.

Glad I have this film and will watch it every once in a blue moon but do not expect a high end video or audio experience.
I do hope that this review has been of some HELP to you in deciding your purchase. All my reviews focus solely upon the quality of the actual disc and not redundant summaries and acting opinions.
Thanks for reading.
on September 10, 2014
One of my favorite movies about the "old West".. Not exactly a history lesson, but it does provide an interesting option to what was going on those days. A nice, sometimes humorous insight to counter the old "John Wayne-shoot'em up, kill the Indian and save the pioneers" version of the "push Westward. Not that I don't like that version too, but is it a refreshing look at an alternative take on the westward movement in the 1850-60's.