BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

A Little Bit Ruined: A Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$5.99+ $3.99 shipping

on April 11, 2014
Ms. Friedmann truly has the pulse of New Orleans. No doubt New Orleans has a certain wackiness, perhaps several brands of it, and it's hard to pick up it , unless you lived there a bit, and hung out with some of it's characters-

I imagine there are a few books, if not many written about Katrina, but perhaps none other communicate the impact on people better than Eleanor Rushing,did in this excellent read " A Little Bit Ruined." Highly recommended- great prose.

I also read her book "Eleanor Rushing" some amazing scenes - and an ending that has left me confused ( in a good way) to this dayt.
on April 30, 2016
I just thought the wholes story was weird and convoluted- seems to go nowhere fast. Not sure what was fantasy or real. Did not care for it
on April 2, 2014
Patty Friedman captures the essence of New Orleans with all if its nuances and has created a loveable and believable character in Eleanor Rushing.
I can't wait for more Eleanor!
Please write more Patty!
on March 18, 2014
The book was OK. Not my usual read. I got another one her books and just could not get through it.
on April 16, 2014
Eleanor Rushing is back just as delusional and hilarious as ever. Eleanor's convos with her housekeeper, Naomi, are too funny & to this reader as close to normal as Eleanor gets. So you know her prospects are dark.
Post Katrina New Orleans & post plastic surgery horrifically scarred Eleanor are twins.
But Patty Friedman makes all this disturbingly funny as only Patty can.
I say this with every book Patty writes: do yourself a huge favor & read A Little Bit Ruined now!
on April 18, 2014
Normally we think of a hurricane as a weather event, but that’s not the whole story when the hurricane is Katrina and New Orleans the target.  Failed electricity and rising water brought all sorts of things outdoors — not the least of which was the manic, dangerously funny Patty Friedmann forced to swim for her life.  If I’m ever hauled out of a flood, I'd count it a lucky day if Patty was waiting in the boat.  Put this book in your survival kit.
on May 28, 2007
This is the 1st Patty Friedmann book I've read and it makes me want to go out and buy all of her books. I loved it. Eleanor Rushing, the protagonist, is hysterical. Like most New Orleaneans, she's a real character. The publishers weekly review claimes that the self inflicted ruination of Eleanor isn't the right metaphor for the post Katrina ruined New Orleans, but I'm not so sure that is the author's intent. Perhaps Eleanor isn't supposed to so much represent New Orleans, as she is really more like the levee systems in which billions of dollars were spent to creat the perfect protection for New Orleans and yet they failed miserably. And the sleezy doctor who perfomed the plastic surgery was the levee board and the corps of engineers. And Tina was Houston. Naomi, now she might just be the metaphor for New Orleans, or at least the New Orleaneans who can't be fooled by anyone. In any case, Eleanor really proves her self worth in this book and I look forward to reading more about her.
on September 4, 2008
To this day, this is the only novel that accurately portrays the landscaped of post-Katrina New Orleans, and I'm amazed it hasn't gotten more recognition. I grew up in New Orleans, but left before the storm, and in a way I felt a bit left out not being there during its transformative moment. This confirms the picture of it that all my friends related to me, but does so in a way that makes me feel like I was there. New Orleans is the most beautiful and unique city in America, and anyone who wants to understand it a little better should read this book.
on May 3, 2007
I have to wonder why the reviewer from Publishers Weekly calls Eleanor "the wrong narrator to drop into post-Katrina New Orleans." Does that have anything to do with the literary merit of the novel? There are as many different kinds of people living in post-Katrina N.O. as there were living in it pre-Katrina, and each one has his or her own story. I am a N.O. native, as is Patty, and Patty got it right, all of it.
on April 14, 2014
Almost a decade post-Katrina, it's finally clear that the crazy Eleanor Rushing was the perfect vessel for telling the story of the destruction of New Orleans.