Bubble Witch Saga 3 Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 11, 2012
This was a great find for me and my family. First it very clearly gives you the rules and a bit of the history of poker. Then it delves a bit into strategy, not too much, but enough to get you started and know what to look for later. It also defines a lot of poker terms so I won't feel so lost next time I play with friends.

But the thing that makes this book a gem is the incredible number of variations it contains. They are, without fail, so clearly described that we (my kids and I) were able to read through a variation a single time and play it -- referring back to the book only when we forgot something.

And having it on the Kindle is great. I have it on mine right next to me and the kids have it on theirs next to them so the dealer can call a game, we all look it up, read up on it and then play without Daddy having to constantly remind everyone of the rules.

I am so glad I got this. All we need is this book, a pack of cards and a bag of Reese's Pieces for an entire evening of fun.
on December 22, 2010
The spiral binding makes it easy to use. Excellent for a night of poker with a mixed level of players. rather than trying to explain a rule or game, we can just read this out loud for the entire table to be on the "same page".
on January 31, 2016
It is easy to read and understand. It names various poker games. Says how many cards to deal, deal face up or down when to bet before dealing more cards. It is everything the new poker player could want in a book. It is small and compact to store with the poker chips.
on December 23, 2011
Slightly disappointed at the coverage of the game especially with regards to odds and betting. As a beginner it was important for me to understand one game well instead of a list of dozens of games with no depth. Having said that this is a "Little Black Book" so it might have been too much expectation on my part for any significant coverage. The most interesting part of the book were the quotations at the beginning of each chapter.
Bottom Line: if you are a beginner(like me) this is not what you are looking for.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2014
A perfect book for beginners. Subject matter experts often forget what it's like to not know a thing, and consequently fail to present it with clarity. But John Hartley nails it with sensible, bite-sized content that informs and occasionally entertains. Well done, sir.
on February 9, 2015
I've played many of these games but forgot about them over the years. I'm glad I purchased this easy to read book and am now enjoying some good old games again with friends.
on August 3, 2014
This book is great for a first time read. Its great for the beginning poker player. it will help you establish a solid foundation which you can build upon with the Ed miller books, or other advanced authors.
on August 27, 2013
Great book with lots of poker games, comes in very handy when holding poker night. We will usually go around the table and let each player pick the next game to play, instead of sticking to a single game all night.
on June 9, 2014
A very neat, concise, guide to poker for your average player. Great addition to your poker table or just as a reference guide for players just getting into it.
on January 13, 2011
I am new to the world of poker and this book was quite interesting. This was not how I expected though. This book is for average players or begginers and If you want specific details this is not the book for you. This book gives you the general idea of the game with minor tips and tricks that will help you, but again does not go into specific detail and situations, consider this the cliffnotes of a poker book. The book is fairly small and compact with a hard cover design which is a big plus. All in all this book is easy to read and understand.