Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 24, 2017
this is wrong I did not order it!!!
on February 27, 2017
I absolutely love this author's writing style!!
on February 20, 2017
Great book for people who love Iceland, its people and culture!
on January 31, 2017
Very interesting
on January 24, 2017
I absolutely loved reading this book. It was such a brilliant little window to the past Icelandic life- the people, their beliefs, their strife and the whole resilient Icelandic spirit of survival! It was such an easy read too, punctuated with witty one-liners and anecdotes. I think I will definitely go back and re-read some personal favorite sections because they are so informative and funny. After marveling at everything in Iceland during my recent first trip there, I feel like I carry back with me this little piece of Iceland as a keepsake- my own personal portkey to an Icelandic escape!
on January 7, 2017
I read this on the way to Iceland. It made it fun when I was there....and added a little something to the things I was seeing...
on January 5, 2017
I especially liked the nitty gritty details that give real insight into the people's lives, the kind of information that is often missing from historical works.
on December 27, 2016
UPDATED REVIEW: Received a replacement book (with all the pages this time) and we are enjoying the read and can't wait to visit Iceland in the Spring. Thanks.

Please note this review does not speak to the content of the book, but rather to the binding of the book. Although the title of the book is "The Little Book of the Icelanders", the book we received was even smaller than I believe the author intended. Specifically, the book is to contain 142 total printed pages, but the version we received jumped from page 26 (beginning of Chapter 6) to page 119 (beginning of Chapter 44), skipping all the pages in between. As we are missing approximately 65% of the actual book content, I leaving a 1* review and will be following up with Amazon.

Incidentally, my daughter (who is going to Iceland) loved the first 26 pages, and I am sure I will leave a more positive review once we get the whole book (assuming that occurs).
review image
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2016
To me, this was a lot of fun to read but more so to learn. I wish it had gone on for another 50 headings. When a writer leaves you wanting more, that is a wonderful book. And it ended too soon.
on October 23, 2016
Interesting collection of quirky traditions of old, with some explanations. Especially appreciated #50, a tribute to Icelanders and the difficult history and landscape that is their heritage.