Lyft Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Little Children: A Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 20, 2014
This is a great little satirical book about American suburban living. The dullness, the hypocrisy, the competitiveness, the stress.

It has a lot in common with Richard Yates' "Revolutionary Road" esp. the fact that both Yates and Perrotta do not let any of the characters off the hook - but, while that book was angry and spiteful, this on is witty and cynical.
on April 27, 2013
Little children is a profound and at the same time extremely funny and entertained book. The writer presents the suburban middle class society way of life in a penetrant way. I like too the sexual aspect of the book, because the sexual attraction between the two main characters is one if not the main reason of their relationship.

I strongly recommend Little Children as one of these books that one can read several times. Enjoy it!
on February 28, 2014
I read this book because I saw the movie. I enjoyed the movie, however, I loved the book more, it has more substance. The little children - the adults - falsely believing they are doing nothing wrong and the main character wanting to be loved for herself and then losing it all. All characters are well described and you can relate to them in a very dark way.
on June 19, 2016
This is a fantastic novel about suburban adults with young children. The book is well-written, engaging, and surprisingly touching. An excellent contemporary novel.
on September 25, 2011
I enjoyed this book, very much. It was a nice story, engaging, very well written, I'd certainly recommend it. But... it wasn't a very deep novel. When I read the description, I was expecting some discussion of suburban life and marriage, but that didn't really happen. My feelings may be a little unfair, the previous book I read was Jonathan Franzen's 'Corrections', and it is hard to top that one.

Regardless, I really did enjoy this book, and I'll read more of the author.
on February 21, 2008
I really enjoyed Little Children. It does a good job of capturing some of the desperation and apathy that hides under the squeaky clean surface of middle class suburban America. Perrotta does a good job of capturing his various characters, from a suburban housewife to a child molester, and the story is complex yet simple enough that any reader knows a similar tale.

I will say that all of the characters in the novel are archetypes, but the author seems to know this, by referring to characters by their stereotypes.
on September 16, 2017
Very shallow book. Much ado about nothing.
on July 7, 2004
I just read "Little Children" while on vacation and I thought it was the perferct "literary" alternative to a beach read: light but not silly, it contains serious observations and ideas in accessible, direct prose. And of course there is some sex, which makes it that much more fun.
If you are an urbanite, this book will probably make you feel smug. The rest of us will probably recognize and relate to some of the characters and their feelings about surburbia and its discontents.
The book makes references to "Madame Bovary", the classic take on what a lack of meaning and purpose can do to someone who, from outside appearances, has every comfort. (Read it!) But while "Little Children" deals with some of these same themes, it does so in a much more superficial way, with characters that are not fully realized. So although I can definitely recommend the book based on the author's fine prose, good eye and sense of humor, I would have to say that next time, he should work harder. He appears to be satisfied with just these accomplishments, and although I am sure it was no small feat to write a direct, funny, "tidy" novel, next time, I would advise him to add another 300 pages and really go for it with the characters. I would have read it and enjoyed!
on November 24, 2014
If you liked Tom Perrotta's other book The Leftovers then you will like this as well. It is written in the same type of narrative with each chapter focusing on a different person's views.
on October 24, 2014
I had originally seen the movie and then learned about the book. I enjoyed reading this book. It was fast, easy reading. If I hadn't seen the movie, the book would have kept me in suspense.