Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 324 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 397 reviews
on June 26, 2010
If you're a fan of suspense novels, you'll love this Southern gothic police procedural which is sure to find a home on your keeper shelf. It's full of twists and turns that keep you guessing as you follow Detective Danny Able through his search for the missing socialite, with whom he shares a past, and his search for the sordid truth about his partner, whom he'd elevated to father-figure status. Memphis has always been one of my favorite cities, and Ms. Turner brings it to vibrant life, giving you a tour of Memphis's high society as well as the city's dark underbelly.

I'm a master mystery solver. I read very few books whose ending I can't figure out long before I'm there, but A LITTLE DEATH IN DIXE has a fantastic ending that I never saw coming. Thank you, Ms. Turner, for a wonderful read!
22 comments| 369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2016
I thought that this book was well written,the characters well developed and the story was sensational. It will keep you guessing until the very end as to what really happened. Police detective Billy Able has a lot of complications as he investigates the disappearance of Sophia Dupree. First of all he had prior romantic relationship with the missing woman. His partner,Lou Nevers whom he worships, has started to behave erratically and ends up as a possible suicide.Sophia's younger sister Mercy comes to town and Billy develops feelings for her. Billy is so angry with Sophia's husband for having mistreated her in the past that he can only focus on him as the cause of her disappearance; he is unable to open his mind to other suspects. Then there Is Judge Overton a greedy and ambitious man who is trying to control the entire investigation for his own personal reasons. There are some disturbing and shocking developments in the case and the ending was a big surprise. It held my attention to the last page. I would recommend this one to people who like mysteries.
on June 22, 2016
Lisa Turner is able to make a setting come alive. When I read a book, I need the author to transport me into the world of her characters. This book made me feel like I was in Memphis and like I knew these characters. Those are two big "plus" marks from me. This book is written in a somewhat procedural style, and it worked for me as a page-turner. Ultimately, as many books, especially suspense novels, do. A Little Death In Dixie falters a bit at the end, but the conclusion is still satisfying. (MILD SPOILER AHEAD). My least favorite part is the super-predictable romance element. As soon as the two main characters are introduced, the reader knows it's only a matter of time until they get together. The ultimate villain, while not glaringly obvious, is also somewhat telegraphed and so the conclusion snoozes a bit after the exciting earlier sections. For me, that makes this a 3-star book. But if you like crime suspense books, this is above average.
on November 7, 2010
This is a very solid debut mystery, and I look forward to seeing more of this author's work as her writing matures.

I did have some frustration with the characters themselves; they seemed shallow and disconnected, even though the author linked them together with with various long and short term relationships. Certain conversations and circumstances were just not very believable, with the exception of the trail of destruction an addict can leave behind, and the frustrating blindness of codependency.

However, it IS a work of fiction, and overall it's a job well done.

Wish I could give it a higher review, but I will reserve that for this obviously talented author's future works.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2017
I bought this book soon after it came out and then forgot I had it... just finished it yesterday... A good first effort... sometimes a little hard to follow, but I look forward to checking out the next books by this author...
on September 17, 2016
This is a very good mystery with some likeable and not so likeable characters. This is not your typical Southern setting populated with rednecks and other stereotypes. The characters are well drawn and believable, and the plot does not make one want to cringe because of its silliness. If you are looking for a good weekend read, this one is for you. And if you like series plots, this is book 1 of a series of 3 of which I am aware.
on May 3, 2017
This is the first novel by Lisa Turner that I've read and I'm already a fan. A LITTLE DEATH IN DIXIE is a fast-paced tale with characters as real as any you'd find on city streets. It's crime drama at its best and it will keep you guessing right up to the end.
on June 12, 2017
I could not put the book down. Billy Able is a character that I can enjoy reading about. I loved the Memphis area.
on June 27, 2011
I downloaded this book on my Kindle during one of those specials of the day. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It is a murder mystery that takes place in Memphis. I feel that the author had good ideas for both the characters and the plot, however, she didn't know when to stop, when to reign it in a little. All of the good characters are too good, too long suffering, one dimensional in their goodness. The same for the bad characters, they are really, really bad. And speaking of good and bad, it's all in here. You want corrupt judges, got it, corrupt cops, yep. In addition you get alcoholics, sibling rivalry, evil sisters, clueless rich women, drugs, mentally challenged characters, and lot's more, too much to mention. As I was reading it, I kept thinking, "enough" just let the story go, do not add another thing. Though I have to admit that the shocker that was thrown in about 3/4 through the book, totally amazed me, didn't see it coming at all, and it was not needed. I think there were enough characters and tangents for about 3 books in this one book.
on September 16, 2017
Enjoyed this book. Kept me up way too late near the end. Luckily it was a Friday night and I didn't have to get up early for work the next day! Lots of 'didn't see that coming' moments. Looking forward to reading more from Lisa Turner, especially this series.