Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Little Fugitive
Format: DVD|Change

on May 6, 2016
If you're expecting the same vibe as the original 1953 film, don't bother watching. This film, while good, has a completely different tone. I've shown the original film to my 8yo son, but would not even think about showing this remake to him due to the language, references to drug and alcohol abuse, and pretty heavy themes throughout.

Having said that, I did enjoy the film. Don't watch hoping for Peter Dinklage screen time, he's hardly in the film. The real stars are the brothers, of course, who are quite good. I didn't really enjoy the very end of the film, I understand what they were going for but I don't think it worked very well. It's a sad, heartbreaking movie, whereas the original film is not - it's the best way I can quickly sum up the differences.
on July 26, 2016
This movie was ok, but the original was better in my opinion. For what it's worth, the original came out 30 years before I was born.

Peter Dinklage is great in the movie though!
on June 11, 2017
Those two little boys rafted away with my heart by the end of the movie. Watching it made me want to help every disadvantaged kid on Earth.
on April 1, 2018
slow
on January 17, 2013
This movie was really good, a lot of sad parts, especially the ending. All the actors did an excellent job in this movie! Recommend to watch.
on July 25, 2015
An honest account of the relationships within a troubled family, this film is lean and taut, with absolutely no melodrama. I know from what I have seen in life that the situations depicted here are an entirely accurate account of what can happen to fractured families that live on the breadline. This film shows, in the deadpan, matter of fact approach taken by children who actually are in this state, what half-abandoned children go through, and the dangers they have to face when they run away from home because of events there. Much of the quality of representation in this film is down to the bravura performances of the two young leads, Nicolas Marti-Salgado and David Castro, and to the Director, Joanna Lipper, who helped them produce those performances. Any trainee public officials and aspiring politicians would do well to watch this film.
VINE VOICEon February 6, 2012
This movie is a remake of a 1953 classic film with the same title. I have not seen the original, but taken on its own, this is quite an impressive first effort by director Joanna Lipper. Most of this film's negative criticism tends to compare this film with the original, and perhaps Lipper shot herself in the foot by adopting the original title. After all, it seems this is more of an appropriation than an adaptation, and it deserves to be viewed for its own merits rather than trying to compete with a film with an already established reputation.

The premise is the same as the original: older brother plays prank on younger brother. Younger brother thinks he has killed older brother and flees to Coney Island. The original premise may be the same, but Lipper seems more concerned with making a statement about social problems and family. Not that this is a message movie, but she definitely shows a sensitivity for all the characters in her film, and we sympathize with each one: the imprisoned father (Peter Dinklage), the overworked alcoholic mother (a brilliant performance by relatively unknown Justina Machado), but the movie really belongs to the young actors who play the two boys, David Castro and Nicolas Marti Salgado. Lipper inspires in these two a naturalistic approach to their roles that is steeped in childhood. Like Jem and Scout in Robert Mulligan's great adaptation of _To Kill a Mockingbird_, these two boys become the two brothers Lenny and Joey. However she does it, Lipper inspires in these two actors an incredibly convincing performance. It is easy to imagine these two as brothers in real life, and it is surprising we have seen them in few roles since this film.

In conclusion, I am not sure how this measures up to the original film, but it stands on its own and, for what it's worth, deserves to be judged on its own merits rather than on its inability to live up to critics' pre-conceived notion of what this film should be. We should, rather, see it for what it is -- a sensitive, memorable film.
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 9, 2014
From what I have been told and from everything I have read, the ORIGINAL movie, filmed back in 1953 was MUCH BETTER!!! Not for the story line, but for the background scenes......Coney Island in 1953.....that would bring back a lot of fond memories for me as I used to live in Luna Park Co-Op and attended Abraham Lincoln H.S., (class of '64).
on May 16, 2014
Poor writing, worse direction, implausible plot points & terrible ending. This thing is just awful. I feel bad for those kids. Only reason I gave it 1 star is because the won't allow Zero stars.