Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 461 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 640 reviews
on December 16, 2014
I love ALL the Little House books. But this BOX SET does NOT include the entire series! It is unclear from the description that the box set only includes Books 1 - 5, through On the Shores of Silver Lake. The missing books are: The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie, and These Happy Golden Years. I am giving this as a present to my niece, and really regret buying what is a partial set.
on April 28, 2017
Lovely, wondrous and compelling, I found this collection a must not only as fiction, but as a peep of the past of United States. My one complaint is I cant seem to navigate easily from book to book!
on December 2, 2015
This is one of the best buys as an investment in a little girl that you can make. I've always given a set to each of my nieces and great-nieces when they reach the appropriate age as the tales are interesting as well as inspirational. In this day and age, it behooves us to introduce good literature that promotes decent values in our children. I can't recommend these enough!
on July 8, 2016
This is a great book that talks about Laura's time in DeSmet, South Dakota. I ordered these for my 3rd grade class so that we could read the story prior to going on a field trip to DeSmet.
on January 8, 2009
I ordered this box set for my little boy(yes it's not just for girls) for Christmas. We had been reading my books, which I recieved for Christmas back when I was eight. He loved the stories. He is very imaginative and spent weeks hunting panthers, just like Pa. His only complaint about the books was that the pictures were not in color. Also, because the my books were old and well used (read starting to fall apart) and they were a gift from my grandmother, I wouldn't let him read them without me. He really wanted his own set to read on his own. I was only going to get the first two books(Little House in the Big Woods, and Little House on the Prarie) for him. They have larger print and more pictures, the others are a little above his reading level with smaller print, more pages and fewer pictures. But when I found this set with color pictures I knew I had to get it. These books were the only thing he asked for at Christmas. After he opened them, we didn't see him the rest of the day, he was off with his books. The pictures are beautiful and he loves the color. Also the pages are much higher quality. A slick, thicker paper. More like what you would find in a quality hardback picture book than a child's chapter book. These books, especially the first two are great to read out loud to younger readers. My son is in 1st grade, but even his little sister who is 4 enjoys listening to these stories and they hold her attention. Also for a beginning reader these books are great. They are challenging but not to complex for kids to sound out. I would say the first two are about a 2nd - 3rd grade level and the others a 3rd-5th grade. If you buy these you won't reget it.
on December 24, 2013
As an adult in his sixties, I first read this book over fifty years ago. This most recent purchase was for a granddaughter who I hope will love Laura Ingalls Wilder stories as much as I. There is not much I can add to this review that has not already been written. Decades of well deserved praise has been given to the "Little House" books. It is great children's literature of the highest order. Mix in some EB White and Robert Louis Stevenson stories and you have the basis for a fine child's library. Don't miss the Wilder books. You will be cheating yourself out of experiences that will be with you forever.
on July 2, 2017
My daughter, Avery, really enjoys these books, but often likes to make up her own stories about people getting pooed on.
on November 3, 2012
By The Shores Of Silver Lake is the fifth book in the Little House saga. This one takes us out west to Dakota Territory. Mary has sadly lost her sight to Scarlet Fever and Laura must now be eyes for her. There is a new addition to the Ingalls family: baby Grace. Pa has now gotten a job building a railroad through the town. The future seems uncertain for Mary but it is decided that she will be home schooled until she can attend a school for the blind. Now it is up to Laura and Carrie to carry on with household chores. Laura knows she will have no choice but to one day teach school in order to send Mary off to college someday. But she is too young and longs for some other profession. She does some early preparation however when she studies with Carrie, Ma and Mary. She even rides a horse with Lena for the first time! The Ingalls family has now faced their biggest challenge with Mary's disability but they know a solution will eventually come their way.
on November 17, 2015
Reviewed by male 38 years old.

My parents read these to me and my siblings growing up and we loved them. My wife and I bought these to read to our children ages 2,4, and 6.

Our 4 and 6 year old have enjoyed them and follow them well.

Quality of this set is good and I imagine with care will be passed on to our children.

There are brief pictures throughout the book, every few pages, and my boys love to see them.

Great set of books
on May 6, 2010
After "Little Town on the Prairie" - this is my favorite "Little House" book. Actually it was the first "Little House" book I read.
Now the Ingalls family had come to Walnut Grove, Minnesota and for the first time they lived in a dugout, and later on Pa built them a brand new house of lumbers. However, they had a hard time living there. Grasshoppers struck two years in a row and destroyed the crops for 2 years and Pa had to walk 300 miles to get a job in order to pay down the house which he had bought on credit.

As if that wasn't enough, at the end Pa was caught by a blizzard when he walked home from town days before Christmas. They had good and helpful Norwegian neighbors (which made me "proud" since I'm Norwegian), but sadly some of them didn't speak English too well (I know I don't either).

This is the first time, in the book series, Laura starts going to school and meets the mean Nellie Owens (or Nellie Oleson (which you may know from the 1970s TV show), as she was named in the books), which is my favorite part.

I would absolutely recommend the book!