Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Little Red Riding Hood
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 5, 2015
The art work is better than most. There is several non-traditional elements to this version. IE the woodsman calls the wolf "sinner"
Before he dispatches him and cuts out granny and Lil' hood... The inclusion of the word evokes a moral tone and seems like a non-sequitur. IT IS a morality tale but the wolfs morality should be static, and needs to be static, to dialogue about Little red's trail obedience. Weither he "sins" (missing the mark in archery) or not he is a WOLF who eats red meat, it's his nature. SEE the title 'little red riding hood and the sweet little wolf'
2 people found this helpful
on September 16, 2015
I had read others reviews and I am not one to shy away from traditional versions of fairy tales. In fact, I prefer them. But, the addition of the gun and the description of "slashing" was a bit too much for me to read to my preschool class. I did see it is suggested for 5 and up. I would probably say 7 or 8. The illustrations were beautiful, but it was not very well written for keep a child's interest regardless of age. I will have to keep l looking for a good one.
4 people found this helpful
on December 31, 2009
Parents vary on the version of Red Riding Hood they want to share with their kids. So, let me say up front, I wanted the one where the grandma gets eaten (not hides in the closet); where Red Riding Hood gets eaten (not rescued at the very last minute) and where the wolf gets killed (not runs away). If this is NOT for you, pick another version. Personally, I get mad when grandma hides in the closet (what....and doesn't jump out to intervene between her granddaughter and a ravenous wolf? She's either deaf or heartless......) I think Red Riding Hood needs to get eaten (natural consequences are great learning lessons.) And unless the wolf is killed and hauled off by the woodsman to be hung on his door, how do you know for SURE that he'll never, ever, ever return? My daughter is 3 and this is one of her very favorite bedtime stories. The illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman are lovely, with little homages to her Mimi hid within.
21 people found this helpful
on December 30, 2017
A bautiful book. note, its a longer tale and more appropriate for 5 and older. Beautiful pictures and sticks true to the original storyline. If you don't mind the sight of a hunter with a gun then you will be ok with this book.
on October 31, 2016
I read through the reviews and product details and was led to believe that this would be the book and disc. We only received the disc. I can't figure out where to get the book now. We love the story and wish we had the book as well. I would love to rate this item higher, but the misleading information prevents me from doing so. If you plan on purchasing the book and read along disc. This item is not that.
on December 23, 2013
Just like you remember Little Red Riding Hood! The illustrations are beautiful and I love the non PC story. I mean really, were you traumatized by the wolf eating the grandmother and Little Red Riding Hood? Hint-- All turns out well in the end. My grandson adores this book. When reading the book I name him as the hunter and he really feels like a hero. Go on and buy it! It is great!
One person found this helpful
on January 21, 2016
I'm a nanny. I got this for my kids for Halloween. I remember reading an edition almost exactly like this one when I was little! Its the perfect amount of "scary" for my kids, but might not be a great fit for all young children, depending on their sensitivity. This is the traditional tale of the wolf eating the grandmother and the girl and the huntsman cutting them out of his belly, complete with pictures. It was fine for us, but I know some families for whom this would have been "too much too soon."
on July 15, 2014
This is a great retelling of the old fairy tale with lovely pictures and the language that is easily understood by today's children. The morale is there, but doesn't hit you in the face and it is still a good story. I bought a topsy-turvy doll to go with it and can hardly wait to give it to my great granddaughter!
One person found this helpful
on September 21, 2015
Bought it for the beautiful art. Note that this is the hardcore old school version of the story. My kids were HORRIFIED.

Every page of this book contains something modern nanny culture would find objectionable. I had to give it five stars on that basis.
on November 7, 2009
It's all been said in other reviews here, so I'll keep this short. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful, and the illustrations of the characters are full of personality. You want to step into the pictures and walk around the scene. The story is well told and reasonably faithful to Grimm. The kids love it and ask for it at bed-time reading again and again. We checked it out from the library twice and then bought a copy of our own. This is one of the best childrens' books I've seen.